D Palm

Winter Protection Tips Please

D Palm

I am going into my second winter with my Roystonea Regia. I moved it twice this spring and summer. It’s final spot is 10’ from the back porch south facing spot of the house. A swimming pool was installed with a 20’ walk way which should be a favorable micro climate. I have noticed over the winters, 20-30’ from the house (before the pool was installed) frost would rarely accumulate on the grass. Furthermore, the grass stayed green throughout winter in this zone while the rest of the yard browned over late Jan-Feb.

Any tips for protection will be greatly appreciated!! 

11F5AD84-8689-4603-A8D7-8E685FEC554F.jpeg

OC2Texaspalmlvr

What zone are you ? Those palms grow fast you won't be able to protect for very long ? 

D Palm

Classified zone 8b but I’ve only seen upper teens once in 13 years. Winter lows are 22-27 range each year. I’m thinking about setting a sprinkler on it w/ timer on nights that go below 30. I’ve had good results with that on my citrus. Last year I soaked it (along with a foxtail) and threw packing blankets over it at dusk. Foxtail was really fried in the spring, probably will die this year. Royal was 30% burned because I travel overnight for work and couldn’t protect and some low-upper 20 nights caught me off guard. Don’t know exact because I was away.