IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii growth NE Florida

Lou-StAugFL

This is a little more than 6 years from a seedling.  Quite impressed with their speed of growth in St. Augustine. I'm 5'10" so you can see how much taller it is than me.

IMG_6723.jpg

Edited by Lou-StAugFL
  • Like 20
  • Upvote 3

Lou St. Aug, FL

It grew quite a bit since I was there almost a year ago.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

@Lou-StAugFL Very impressive growth. Has it had any set backs from any cold spells ? Yall 9b or 9a ? I'm sure being on the coast prolly helps with some micro climate. 

T J 

T J 

• 2 months later...

That's awesome!
I'm seriously considering getting one of these but live in Ponte Vedra. 
Any concerns about cold hardiness at the age of your current Alfredii?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Lou-StAugFL Very impressive growth. Has it had any set backs from any cold spells ? Yall 9b or 9a ? I'm sure being on the coast prolly helps with some micro climate. 

T J 

This particular location is 9b over the last 30 years.

14 minutes ago, parkerhightower@gmail.com said:

That's awesome!

I think you'll have a decent shot.  St. Johns Botanical Garden has a lot of them and they are a good way inland.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I think you'll have a decent shot.  St. Johns Botanical Garden has a lot of them and they are a good way inland.

5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Thanks for the reminder about the SJ Bot.
I always forget about that place when it come to real world data and examples.

Edited by parkerhightower@gmail.com
  • Like 2

I've grown it from a little tiny seedling I got from a nursery in Texas that isn't in business anymore from the Houston area.  It was about 2' tall when I decided to plant them in the ground.  It kept toppling over in the pot.  It stayed much more upright once I planted it in the ground. I have one in the backyard under live oak canopy that is smaller but still doing well.   The one by the road is in full sun so it really took off.  Never any problem with cold.  I think they are great for anyone in 9A or 9B.  Ponte Vedra and the Texas gulf coast could easily grow them if there isn't another crazy winter like last winter in Texas.  I think I have only had one frost since I planted it and it didn't brown up the fronds at all.  I used to be a solid 9A in the 1980s but now I am a solid 9B for at least a decade.  In 2010 it didn't even get very cold at my place.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

7 hours ago, parkerhightower@gmail.com said:

That's awesome!

I'm pretty certain @Mike B has these growing in Ponte Vedra, and some nice sized ones as well.

I put a few two year old seedlings in the ground this year here in Jville.

• Like 1

I have had success with Beccariophoenix alfredii in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.  I'm located about midway between Jacksonville and St. Augustine.  I'm one half mile from the ocean.  My biggest one is about 25 feet overall height.  I think it's close to trunking with a couple rows of leaf bases still attached.  My next biggest is about 20 feet tall.  In January of 2018 we had five nights below freezing in two cold events.  My lowest temperature was 25.  I had no damage under canopy.  The oaks keep the frost off but allow the sun in.  So far so good.

I know, I need to post pics!  I really should take the time to figure that out.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, parkerhightower@gmail.com said:

That's awesome!

I think UNF has some large ones on the campus

• Like 2

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

1 hour ago, Steve the palmreader said:

I think UNF has some large ones on the campus

Nice!
Between UNF and FSCJ's South campus, I need to get over there and do some research.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lou-StAugFL said:

I think they are great for anyone in 9A or 9B.  Ponte Vedra and the Texas gulf coast could easily grow them if there isn't another crazy winter like last winter in Texas.

Yeah after last winter I'm hoping for more 9b - 10a winters for awhile. I have plenty of live oak canopy but short on really sunny spots. I definitely have high hopes for this palm for this area. 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

Nice robust specimen for sure. Ive been looking for one or two of these guys for awhile to no avail (St Johns co) Looks like when for sale they go fast.

12 hours ago, Philjax55 said:

Nice robust specimen for sure. Ive been looking for one or two of these guys for awhile to no avail (St Johns co) Looks like when for sale they go fast.

I have about 400 seedlings in the greenhouse and about 60 two year old plants in pots in the back yard....if you're willing to wait and watch it grow versus a larger, established specimen.

• Like 5

On 12/29/2021 at 10:47 PM, MikeB said:

I have had success with Beccariophoenix alfredii in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.  I'm located about midway between Jacksonville and St. Augustine.  I'm one half mile from the ocean.  My biggest one is about 25 feet overall height.  I think it's close to trunking with a couple rows of leaf bases still attached.  My next biggest is about 20 feet tall.  In January of 2018 we had five nights below freezing in two cold events.  My lowest temperature was 25.  I had no damage under canopy.  The oaks keep the frost off but allow the sun in.  So far so good.

I know, I need to post pics!  I really should take the time to figure that out.

Here are the B. alfrediis I mentioned  above. The smaller one is over 15 feet.  The larger one is about 25 feet overall. They have the potential to be long term growers in favorable parts of 9a such as North East Florida.

0102221716_HDR.jpg

0102221538b_HDR.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

On 12/30/2021 at 7:40 PM, Philjax55 said:

On 12/31/2021 at 8:37 AM, Scott W said:

I have about 400 seedlings in the greenhouse and about 60 two year old plants in pots in the back yard....if you're willing to wait and watch it grow versus a larger, established specimen.

Sounds like you've a nice operation there. I'm looking for larger Beccariophoenix in 7 gallon or thereabouts- would like to fill up a few areas

On 1/2/2022 at 4:51 PM, MikeB said:

Here are the B. alfrediis I mentioned  above. The smaller one is over 15 feet.  The larger one is about 25 feet overall. They have the potential to be long term growers in favorable parts of 9a such as North East Florida.

Absolutely stunning palms :yay:

• Like 1

T J