Tennessee Palms

Parajubea in the Coastal South East

Tennessee Palms

I can't seem to find any info on Parajubea in the Coastal South East like in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, etc. I'm curious if Anybody tried these palms and how they react to the climate. I know that some cold hardy palms do not like the hot weather in the south east. 

RJ

Not happening …. They don’t like either the hot humid heat or the wet winters … pick your poison 

Edited by RJ

OC2Texaspalmlvr
10 hours ago, Tennessee Palms said:

I can't seem to find any info on Parajubea in the Coastal South East like in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, etc. I'm curious if Anybody tried these palms and how they react to the climate. I know that some cold hardy palms do not like the hot weather in the south east. 

If you just really want to try one maybe get with Patric and get one of his BxPJT. So far in a pot this hybrid has done well with hot humid summers and wet cold winters here in South Houston. There a lil pricey but Im hoping it's a winner for this area. 

RJ
3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

If you just really want to try one maybe get with Patric and get one of his BxPJT. So far in a pot this hybrid has done well with hot humid summers and wet cold winters here in South Houston. There a lil pricey but Im hoping it's a winner for this area. 

Agree… did you get a PJS as well? I’m trying both … 

Austinpalm

I had P. sunkha in Austin, TX for a few years.  Bought it as a 1-2 gallon plant.  Survived for about 5 years in the ground.  Did not grow fast but did grow.  I had it in a somewhat shady area on the SE side of my house to offer some protection from winter and intense summer heat/humdity.  As I said, it continued to grow slowly and was doing ok.  A little over a year ago I sold the house and attempted to transplant the it.  I should have just left it.  It died shortly thereafter. I think P. sunkha is doable at least in Central Texas, but that climate is really not too similar to the coastal southeast climate. 

OC2Texaspalmlvr
30 minutes ago, RJ said:

Agree… did you get a PJS as well? I’m trying both … 

I didnt get one when I got the BxPJT I went with BxLytoWedd,  JxB , BYxJ at the time. I do know this buying the larger size seedlings is much better for me cause I killed all the lil ones smh 

T J 

• Like 1