• Similar Content

• Will
      By Will
      Good evening,
      I have just visited the palmhouse in Vienna and they have some really huge Sabal palmettos. Was my first time seeing them in person and I was really surprised how big they actually are. 
      I am searching for Sabals similar to the size of palmetto or bigger, which are hardier though. I am in zone 7b Eastern Austria. Got some Sabal minors but I suppose they don't get leafs as big as palmetto do they? 
      I have found Sabal tamaulipas which are supposed to get bigger than minor. But those are really hard to find here in europe. And other suggestions on big growing Sabals for my climate?
      Thank you!
      Will

• CiprianS
      By CiprianS
      I don't know what is happening with my small Sabals but they don't seem to look ok at all.  This whole thing started since October I guess when the temperatures stated to go down but there hasn't been any freezing in the Houston area ever since. I will post below some photos with them, maybe someone has any ideas. I want to treat them with H2O2 because it seems that they have some rot on them, at least this is my idea. If you have any ideas please help.
      I tried to pull the spears and I could not do it at any of them.
      Indeed, these are all on the side where it is shadier but they still get some sun and in between the ones that seem not to be doing so good I have some that don't have any issues at all. It is just like it is happening random. 
      Sabal Palmetto, at first one of the leaves was coming out yellow but it managed to get some green under it and it pushed it out. The newest spear came green from it.

Sabal Riverside, it has a few spots on its leaves and the newest spear seems to have some problems.

Sabal Palmetto, almost  of its new leaves that have grown since I planted it are dead. The new spear seems to be green.

Sabal Palmetto, all of the new leaves that it sprouted since it was planted are dead. The new spear that is coming out seems to have a green base.

Sabal Palmetto, all of the new leaves that it sprouted since it was planted are dead.  Also, the newest spear coming out seems to be dead.

Sabal Riverside, again it seems to have some issues, the newest spear seems to have some rot on it, something that looks blueish greenish as you can see from the below photos.

Sabal Palmetto, the one that I got from our colleague @Reyes Vargas that was doing so fine, sprouting leaf after leaf and now it seems not to be doing so good anymore with its newest spear dead.

• Diamond State Palms
      By Diamond State Palms
      Hi! I am a Palm grower and enthusiast from South Delaware. Contrary to popular belief there are tons of palms around here if you know where to look ! The pindo’s to my knowledge are a new thing the area is trying. There are three more across the street! Sabals have been in the ground for Atleast a few years (fourth year I wanna say, maybe more!) and are doing great. Of course I couldn’t forget the famous windmills! There are plenty other hardy palms in the area and I will continue to post as I can, thanks!

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      So last weekend we did a trip to Avery Island, La to the jungle gardens tour at the tabasco factory.  It was really cool. We saw some amazing sabals and sabal minors everywhere! We also saw some really nice cycads that I have not seen in Louisiana before. Could y'all possibly identify the cycad? We also saw a HUGE Chinese fan palm. Was wondering if anyone else has been there before. Also just letting y'all know it's a great place for a weekend trip :)

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Hey experts! So question for y'all.  So my local landscape place has 10'-12' Sabals right now non regenerated for $425. Not a bad deal. I was wondering if y'all think its a good time to plant one mid September.  I have a perfect spot for one and really need one. Haha. Thoughts on if there's enough warmth left in the season in Southern Louisiana zone 9.  I guess it's similar to North or central Florida.  Thanks for the advice y'all!