IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' X S. mexicana hyb 2021Seeds for Sale

PalmatierMeg

My Sabal miamiensis I germinated in 2015 from seeds I collected in Leu Garden, Orlando, has just finished ripening its crop of seeds for 2021 last week. I posted about this palm in 2020 because it has by far the largest seeds of any Sabal I have seen - twice as large as my first Sabal miamiensis I was gifted in 2008. See link below:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/65324-sabal-miamiensis-leu-garden-huge-fruit-seeds/&do=findComment&comment=954404

Photo 1:  Left) Six seeds of S. miamiensis 'Leu Garden' - compared to - Right) six seeds of my older S. miamiensis 'Original' (2020)

image.png.6d6eb9ae437fd278106268292d0f8f54.png

The 2021 seeds are just as large as last year's and the mother palm flowered early this past spring weeks before any of my other Sabals, including my first miamiensis. Those seeds started ripening in August whereas other Sabal spp seeds won't ripen until late Oct. through Dec. When I posted the topic linked to above, it was suggested that this palm may be a hybrid of an S. miamiensis mother (from which I collected seeds in 2015) and a Sabal mexicana growing close by in Leu. In any case I have an excellent crop of seeds available and wonder whether PTers who experienced last winter's record cold in TX might find them worthy of growing for the future, esp. if they include mexicana genes. It is gratifying to see how much greater respect the Sabal genus has gained over the past few years. This hybrid has grown quickly and vigorously - for a Sabal - since I germinated its seed in 2015. No one has quantified how cold hardy S. miamiensis is as it is extinct in the wild and exists in only in botanical gardens and a few private collections. But I suspect its toughness will approach that of palmetto, perhaps even minor. See links regarding the history of this storied palm:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/1627-sabal-miamiensis/&tab=comments#comment-24549

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47965-does-sabal-miamiensis-sabal-palmetto-does-it-matter/&tab=comments#comment-736500

There is much more to read about the (pure) species but little or nothing about possible S. miamiensis hybrids. If you are interested in trying this hybrid, read on.

For Sale:

Sabal miamiensis 'Leu Garden' x S. mexicana hybrid seeds: $0.25 each                     Minimum Purchase = $10.00

Shipping = $6.00 for up to 200 seeds. For more, request quote           No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI

Payment via Paypal

PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you want and I will respond with a quote. Give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. When you pay, tell me.

NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.

Photos

Cleaned/uncleaned seeds

1445355919_SabalmiamiensisLeuGardenfruitnseeds0109-12-20.thumb.JPG.a5f5ce253454a60e39f0c9c8ce14931c.JPG

Mother Palm

1462930184_SabalmiamiensisLeuGarden0109-12-20.thumb.JPG.ed092dfaa05cb9b3b04c2ec091665af5.JPG288402400_SabalmiamiensisLeuGarden0205-02-20.thumb.JPG.c4c5f28ff707a78654ce26dfe61735b3.JPG

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.