IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Boron deficiency?

Tropicdoc

I’ve posted about this before. This is butia x parajubaea. I have 4 of them. 3 do this, one does not. The consensus here was boron deficiency. I give them about a tbsp each of borax once a month but I can’t seem to break them out of it. 
The one that doesn’t have the problem is in more shade and also does not have pittosporum shrubs growing adjacent. Could the sun exposure be a factor? Could the pittosporum be stealing boron from the palms? Should I kill off the shrubs?

33320917-F39B-4BCC-9524-EFD7760EA0DC.jpeg

University of Florida has great info on palm diseases.   You’d think boron, but it’s often just a quick deficiency from heavy rains or something.   Should take months to see new growth normalize though.  You’d think regular palm fertilizer would solve the problem….   Interesting.    

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/EP264

Jubaea have hooked tips normally, or at least I recall reading that.  I have no idea if Parajubaea can show hooked tips as a normal feature.  If you are supplementing with boron and the new fronds are still growing out with hooked tips, then maybe it isn't a deficiency?

Dunno but like I said the three in sun and next to pittosporum shrubs have the issue but the one in shade not next to shrubs does not 

have fertilize pretty regular with osmocote with micros and sulpomag in fall plus the borax once a month 

If new growth keeps showing boron deficiency try increasing the organic content around the soil base or add humates which will chelate the boron.

Remember that it takes several months for the treatment process to work. The already bent leaves will not correct themselves. The leaves that will show the effects of your treatment take several months to emerge. Also, be careful with the adding of Boron as it can be toxic. Per the linked ifas document from @Looking Glass

Current recommendations for correcting B deficiencies in palms are intentionally conservative because of the potential for toxicity. Dissolve about 2–4 oz of Solubor® or Borax in 5 gallons of water and drench this into the soil under the canopy of a single palm. Do not attempt to apply dry B fertilizers to the soil, because turfgrass or other groundcovers in contact with it may be killed. Do not repeat this for at least 5 months, because it will take this long to see the results of the first application.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Steve in Florida said:

If new growth keeps showing boron deficiency try increasing the organic content around the soil base or add humates which will chelate the boron.

This is also good advice which is mirrored in the document. It also says heavy rains are a possible culprit. Hasn’t Louisiana had a lot of rain this summer?

Louisiana has a lot of rain ALL THE TIME :lol:

ok Will put a bunch of compost down. We’ll see if that helps 

thanks guys 

Jubaea hybrids often have those hooks, my BxJ did, its how they identify jubaea blood at jungle music from what I recall.  My BxJ is now about 12' overall and the hooks are gone.  I would stop using the borax.  Too much boron is toxic to your plant but keep using a good palm fertilizer that contains boron.  

things that can cause a boron deficiency

1) alkaline pH, high calcium.  calcium inhibits boron uptake.  Lawn lime has too much calcium for use around palms.

2) plant stress can cause a short term boron deficiency, it will dissapear as stress subsides(with newer leaves)

3) irrigation water devoid of boron(RO water so I doubt that is it).

But again those look an awful lot like the "hooks" I saw on my B X J.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank