IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One magnificent Dypsis

quaman58

Hey all, I posted this poem once or twice over the years. But as it gets bigger and bigger, it just needs an update. It was purchased eight or nine years ago from a backyard grower as Dypsis decipiens. My neighbor and I thought it looked a bit odd, as its leaves were really stretched. But initially, we thought maybe it was just greenhouse grown or something. It split early on, and is relatively fast. Maintains a magnificent white, wax colored trunk and has these awesome stiff, recurved leaves. The last time I posted this two or three years ago, a number of people around the planet shared pictures of theirs that were no doubt the same plant. So I have my doubts about it being a hybrid. This thing has to be close to flowering, so maybe will find out more about it in the not too distant future. But in my “quest for the perfect palm“, this one’s hard to top. Feel free to weigh in with guesses, pictures pr other input!

DFFFAE9A-E2BB-4D5E-9C36-8AEA066C6B90.jpeg

D8F0514E-AE2B-4958-8B79-7E02FF5A60D9.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I’ll grab one in the morning Darold; it’s in a very “junglely” part of the yard and the light has to be right or it’s just a sea of green!

• Like 1

Bret

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Bret, step back a ways, we need a full monty shot, thanks

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

I’ll grab one in the morning Darold; it’s in a very “junglely” part of the yard and the light has to be right or it’s just a sea of green!

Give us warning so we can take a nice deep breath before we scream obscenities!

Hyperventilating now over the pictures you’ve posted so far!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Bret, step back a ways, we need a full monty shot, thanks

This!!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Bret, that is a beauty! The trunk and crown are quite showy. You usually get one or the other. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Very nice! I have no idea what it is but it looks like D. lutescens on steroids, at least what I can see from the pics. Maybe a related palm or even a hybrid with D. lutescens?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

That’s a great looking palm!  Really really nice!  Do you also have pictures of it when it was small / first bought / planted?  I have some thoughts but will hold off on commenting til I see more photos hopefully. 

Here’s a picture from the street; in full disclosure, it’s actually next door… Our gardens just sort of merge together.

E3322980-1E4A-4DA1-8D0A-720079EB1A63.jpeg

7B10AAD6-B61A-4CD7-8CB5-43F74DD15B9C.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Bret

3 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

Very nice! I have no idea what it is but it looks like D. lutescens on steroids, at least what I can see from the pics. Maybe a related palm or even a hybrid with D. lutescens?

It’s much bigger. I thought originally a hybrid of something like decipiens x onilihensis. But as I mentioned, the same palm seems to be floating around in various places.

Bret

Jason, I had a fellow palm geek (very knowledgeable) tell me a few years ago “yeah, that palm came in as onilihensis from Floribunda a few years ago”. And years ago, a palm talker posted an identical palm that he’d purchased as “red decipiens” from Floribunda. (Stevo from Urban Rainforest). It also split and had the waxy trunk.

Bret

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Chris, not that I can find. The leaves were much longer and less stiff than D. decipiens, which is what it was sold as

Bret

Looks a lot like Dypsis sp. bef although not sure I’ve seen one with that girth, it’s a beast! 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

My initial thought is it could be one of the Dypsis Ambositrae variations that was going around several years ago.  I had a couple of these in my Fallbrook garden that I called "Stiff leaf Ambositrae".  When young, they could look like a "Decipiens with longer leaves" so since you mentioned that, it made me think of those.  I could also see how a backyard grower could mix up one of those stiff leaved Ambositrae for a Decipiens.  

Tim's comment above though made me consider Sp Bef.  While they are usually very slow for california, everyone once in awhile it seems like some faster / beefier ones came around.  I know BS Man has a really beefy solitary Bef in his front yard.  

Regardless, its an amazing looking palm and I would agree that it's up there when it comes to the Perfect Palm! 

Oh LAWD thats a beauty

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 6:53 PM, quaman58 said:

E3322980-1E4A-4DA1-8D0A-720079EB1A63.jpeg

On 10/13/2021 at 4:43 PM, Hilo Jason said:

My intial thought is it could be one of the Dypsis Ambositrae variations that was going around several years ago.  I had a couple of these in my Fallbrook garden that I called "Stiff leaf Ambositrae". 

Jason, I can see why you were thinking a very stiff leafed form of Dypsis ambositrae.  Neither of my D ambositrae have split though,   On the Dypsis bef, from what I can see of mine, it has more of a "kangaroo brown" coloring on the top of the crownshaft and petiole base.  Bret's photo at the top of the thread has more of the reddish brown similar to Dypsis leptocheilos in coloring but not as fuzzy.

20211105-BH3I5970.jpg

• Like 7

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Ficus Dammaropsis looking nice as well.  How are the roots on the Schiziolobium?

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999