IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yearly parade of palms back into the winter garden.

Makaisland Palms

Just noticed that tomorrow night will go down as low as 3 Celsius, so have jump started the yearly parade of palms back into the wintergarden.   Nice to see some progress each year as evidenced by the increasingly difficult task of fitting everything back inside!  While the tougher palms like t. Fortunei, canary and washies can all stay out a bit longer, the tender ones like this Dictyosperma album are the first to come in.  Started from seed from @cfkingfish in spring 2019, happy to show that seeds sent to Austria weren't in vain!

16336994005036800376700988262285.jpg

16336995200205412848771325634845.jpg

16336995450341677065105779209017.jpg

16336995945257502644145122805624.jpg

• Like 3

Dictyosperma  album is the var. Rubrum I believe... (In the red pot in the first picture, next to my prized Chambeyronia macrocarpa)

I have taken in so little this year at this point in terms of palms, only my Hyophorbes and Howeas, everything else is outside (Syagus, Washingonia, Cocos, Butia, Adonidia, Caryota, Dypsis, Chamaedorea, Trachys, Phoenix, Rhapis, Sabals).  It's been unusually mild\, again, this autumn in the Mid Atlantic/North East. I used to be done with all this work by early September a few decades ago, now they are out there till some time in November if not beyond

P.S., So very nice to see "palm nuts" all over the world. ;) Keep up the terrific job!

Yeah, I'm always tempted to stretch the season outside because daytime temps are still over 16 degrees but the combination of autumn rain and cold nights is too risky for the palm roots.  us palm nuts seem to wash up on many a foreign shore (even landlocked ones).  I know there's no future for half of the palms I germinate, but it's still fun anyways somehow.

90% of palms have been brought in, and so far only taking up about 116% of the space.  Heaps of room left!

IMG_20211013_140622.jpg

IMG_20211013_140616.jpg

IMG_20211013_140710.jpg

• Like 2