IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona chinensis or Washingtonia Robusta with these conditions?

Peachs

C614-FA03-CD06-4903-A772-B25-CA41665-BC.
52-D91-ED0-1-E26-4-CF1-8-D9-F-1-C0559462

In short, a dry climate with little rain, with temperatures of -8 °C in winter and high in summer.  Many hours of sunshine.  Which one do you think can survive with better conditions?

Charts with values from 2 previous years.

Salamanca/Castilla y León/Spain

Thanks.

Edited by Peachs

Hello Peachs,

If I had to choose between those 2 species for the location in question, I think I would go with W. robusta.  They will handle the dry climate better.  However, they might get whacked by your occasional low temps. If possible, I would find some W. filabusta or filifera.  Either should do fine.  Good luck!

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

44 minutes ago, Austinpalm said:

Hello Peachs,

If I had to choose between those 2 species for the location in question, I think I would go with W. robusta.  They will handle the dry climate better.  However, they might get whacked by your occasional low temps. If possible, I would find some W. filabusta or filifera.  Either should do fine.  Good luck!

I have a Filifera and no damage last winter.  However, I think it resists a lot less Robusta.

Due to the thickness of the trunk, I cannot put another Filifera.

Edited by Peachs

11 hours ago, Peachs said:

I have a Filifera and no damage last winter.  However, I think it resists a lot less Robusta.

Due to the thickness of the trunk, I cannot put another Filifera.

Livestona should survive, but it might burn the fronds of many winters. Probably same with Robusta. If you are set on a Washingtonia get a Robusta dominant Filibusta with a fairly thin trunk.

Thought about trying Brahea Armata? Brahea Edulis might be a candidate also, but its less hardy however faster. Armata i think should be near bulletproof in your climate. 

I would look into Silver Butias and super mules as well,  however trunk thickness might be a problem. 

If you can't find any Braheas in local nurseries, go online. .You can buy every type of palm online domesticly in Spain.

2 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Livestona should survive, but it might burn the fronds of many winters. Probably same with Robusta. If you are set on a Washingtonia get a Robusta dominant Filibusta with a fairly thin trunk.

Thought about trying Brahea Armata? Brahea Edulis might be a candidate also, but its less hardy however faster. Armata i think should be near bulletproof in your climate. 

I would look into Silver Butias and super mules as well,  however trunk thickness might be a problem. 

If you can't find any Braheas in local nurseries, go online. .You can buy every type of palm online domesticly in Spain.

I already have a Brahea Armata but it is very very slow.  I have a potted Mule palm, maybe it will be the chosen one (although I already have another one on the ground).  Filibusta is interesting but possibly difficult to locate being small.

12 hours ago, Peachs said:

I already have a Brahea Armata but it is very very slow.  I have a potted Mule palm, maybe it will be the chosen one (although I already have another one on the ground).  Filibusta is interesting but possibly difficult to locate being small.

I would try a Brahea brandegeei if you can ontain one with some size for a reasonable price. its the fastest growing Brahea palm and looks like a improved Robusta. Its not as hardy as Armata, but i think it would do well in your climate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palmfarmer said:

I would try a Brahea brandegeei if you can ontain one with some size for a reasonable price. its the fastest growing Brahea palm and looks like a improved Robusta. Its not as hardy as Armata, but i think it would do well in your climate.

Thanks, although impossible to get in my country.  Perhaps the following spring I will plant the mule palm in the ground.

68-D8-CB46-F22-C-40-B4-B351-8-BE3105-E03

Maybe too small.

1 hour ago, Peachs said:

Thanks, although impossible to get in my country.  Perhaps the following spring I will plant the mule palm in the ground.

68-D8-CB46-F22-C-40-B4-B351-8-BE3105-E03

Maybe too small.

No it will probably grow fast just give it some simple protection first 2 years in ground. Parajubaea torallyi is also a suggestion, however maybe expensive and its similar to a mule

• Like 1