IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filibusta yellow spots

ZPalms

I'm moving this here cause palms in pots has been slow and I want more people to see it who may know what's going on! :blush:

I've already googled this but I'm still unsure if it's some sort fungus problem since theirs no information really on these yellow spots on washies and I've already gave them potassium so I'm not really sure why these yellow spots are appearing still, and what sucks is a lot of the newer leaves have acquired these yellow dots and even the new ones that are coming up so I'm confused

also the water on the leaves in some of the pictures is from morning dew.

If it was a potassium problem, would half the growing leaf grow out looking good after I gave it some, cause now that I'm looking at the pictures over it looks like half the leaves like the newest parts seem to be pretty clear? or is this a fungus of some sort cause I can't find any information on google about it

IMG-7876.jpg

IMG-7877.jpg

IMG-7879.jpg

IMG-7932.jpg

IMG-7933.jpg

IMG-7934.jpg

It could be a number of factors which are causing the issue, but the primary cause is probably the humidity and rainfall. If they are Filibusta hybrids, they may be sulking due to the Filifera genetics not liking the humidity and rainfall. Are the fronds constantly damp in your location? My smaller Filifera’s get similar spotting and can show a lack of vigour during extended wet spells. I am nowhere near as wet as your location though. 

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

11 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

It could be a number of factors which are causing the issue, but the primary cause is probably the humidity and rainfall. If they are Filibusta hybrids, they may be sulking due to the Filifera genetics not liking the humidity and rainfall. Are the fronds constantly damp in your location? My smaller Filifera’s get similar spotting and can show a lack of vigour during extended wet spells. I am nowhere near as wet as your location though. 

I don't think the fronds are constantly damp but I think they can feel soft in some areas when I felt one once in the morning or when they are wet, It rained for the first time in over a week or two about 2 days ago and if they are wet then it's just morning dew but it does get pretty hot and humid most days and initially I was watering them constantly which I've back off from doing so and when I do water them I don't get any of the leaves wet but if your experiencing this with your own filifera then it makes me feel better that it's not fungal or anything crazy!

It has to be the humidity and dew because I've cut back watering a lot!

Edited by ZPalms

Ok I think the new parts of growth seem to be clear of yellow spots since I've stopped watering so often and have potassium I think-

I'm probably the worst palm owner in the world, I cannot figure out what the yellow spots are and they just recently showed up on my Sabal Causiarums and it's so stressful cause ever since I've had the palms I haven't had a day were I can just enjoy them problem free and stuff popping up left and right!

I see other people seedlings super healthy and green but all mine are rough looking but I'm doing nothing different than what anyone else is doing and I can't find these specific issues on google. :(