IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus abutifolia

Tracy

I only found one post on this species of Ficus and that post didn't have photos that were accessible because the link was no long good.  I'm curious if anyone else has any experience growing this.  I'm keeping it potted because the description is that it is a true rock splitting ficus.  I read that they may defoliate in the winter but if you have any first hand knowledge please share.  I may use this to post updates in the future.  I was attracted to it's large leaves and the red leaf stems and have only had it for about a month, planting it up this last weekend from it's tiny 4" x 4" x 4" plastic pot.

20211005-BH3I5702.jpg

20210907-BH3I5452.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I own 2 potted plants that I've grown for 3 years. They have retained most of their leaves through the winter. They are slow growing so far and look like yours.

Hi 94˚, Lo 64˚

• Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

They are extremely slow growing; as far as I remember they keep most of their leaves over winter.

San Fernando Valley, California

Saw this at Green Thumb.  They were about 3 inches tall for 19 bucks.  Should have bought it because it is all gone.

12 hours ago, BigFrond said:

Saw this at Green Thumb.  They were about 3 inches tall for 19 bucks.  Should have bought it because it is all gone.

The is a wholesale grower of these in northeastern San Marcos, so Green Thumb may very well get restocked at some point.  La Costa Anderson's Nursery here in Leucadia has purchased from them and has them available although I don't recall the price.  I have a friend in La Habra Heights that owns a retail nursery that recently acquired a few to add to his inventory  as well, Hacienda Growers Nursery.

22 hours ago, Peter said:

They are extremely slow growing; as far as I remember they keep most of their leaves over winter.

Peter it sounds like you were growing it at one point.  Were you growing this in ground or potted?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Peter it sounds like you were growing it at one point.  Were you growing this in ground or potted?

I had one in the ground for a couple of years; moved it out into a pot last year as it grew a few inches in that time.  I've got a friend in Escondido with perfect conditions and his has only grown a couple of feet in about 8 years-looks perfect but that's just too slow for my small garden.     On the plus side it seems quite hardy, always looks good, and moved very easily with no set back when I pulled it out of the ground.

IMG_5783.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

San Fernando Valley, California

• 8 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, Peter said:

Mine almost lost all it's leaves over winter, getting down to 1 leaf before starting to grow again in the spring.  Perhaps it was smaller and it's first year out of the greenhouse.  All the leaves are new over the last couple of months, as it has now dropped the last pair of leaves it was holding coming out of winter.  I have it in a filtered light situation with pretty decent sun in the am, but indirect light after mid-day.  It seems like it will remain a nice potted specimen for a long time based on your experience and plant.

20220627-BH3I8100.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

This Ficus is proving to be an excellent small container plant.  I love the leaf shape, the red leaf petioles and new leaves with the red veining.  It is definitely worth looking for this species if you are looking to fill a relatively small space with a potted plant. 

20220830-BH3I8758.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

The Ficus abutifolia is a little taller in a year but I am still waiting for branching to occur.  I never cease to be impressed by the nice deep veins and color of the leaf stems on this species.

How are everyone else's performing?

20230823_070421.jpg

20230823_070451.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

The Ficus abutifolia is a little taller in a year but I am still waiting for branching to occur.  I never cease to be impressed by the nice deep veins and color of the leaf stems on this species.

How are everyone else's performing?

20230823_070421.jpg

20230823_070451.jpg

Mine are only slightly larger than in '21. Yours is far more attractive, with larger and more colorful leaves. Because of our stronger sunlight, and higher temperature, I have to grow them in a shady location to avoid scorching the leaves. Hopefully 2 years from now I can move these 2 potted plants to a better lit location, and try to more closely match your beautiful results.

Hi 100˚, Lo 69˚ Some gusts from Harold, but very little rain so far

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Decided to put mine back out in the garden

Cool!  Keep us posted on how it transitions and performs in ground.  I have only been adventuress enough to put a Ficus dammaropsis and a Ficus socotrana (vasta) in the ground due to the size of my lots and fear of Ficus roots.  If this grows slowly enough I might be willing to let it go in the ground eventually.  I have hesitated in that the first paragraph description on the PlantzAfrica describes these as a "true rock splitting" fig. https://pza.sanbi.org/ficus-abutilifolia

• 3 months later...

Despite cool nights we are now experiencing, I'm not seeing any leaf drop on mine.  It is a little tempting to put it in the ground eventually.

20231203-BH3I2829.jpg

• Like 2

Great job of cultivation this year. I certainly understand the reason you're concerned about giving almost all figs any opportunity to do serious damage to almost everything on your property. I think the only safe way to enjoy their full potential, is to plant them in huge areaa like the Edison estate or in a golf course (did you ever notice the huge fig in Caddyshack?).

I reread the content of the link you posted in August, and found that this comment "The ability of the roots to reach great depths of up to 60 m and that these may reach sources of underground water, has been recorded." if true, would make me think twice about where to plant one.

This year I used fertilizer on all my figs, primarily for the benefit of F. socotrana in an effort to produce the gigantic leaves you posted on your thread concerning that species. My leaves are larger, but I think I'll need at least 2 more years if I'm lucky.

Hi 68°, Lo 36°

• Like 1