Sign in to follow this  
akaranus

Few braheas

akaranus

Among the best palms for cooler climate gardens.   They all saw 3 nights down to -8C in 2017 at my place.  Brahea armata, edulis, nitida, super silver, dulcis blue and acuelata.  Armata is the fastest, and acuelata slowest. 

P1130237.jpg

P1130238.jpg

P1130240.jpg

P1130241.jpg

P1130243.jpg

P1130244.jpg

P1130248.jpg

P1130250.jpg

P1130251.jpg

P1130253.jpg

P1130255.jpg

P1130256.jpg

P1130257.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Trustandi

Very nice brahea collection @akaranus. I wish I could grow the dulcis, nitida and super silver.

• Upvote 1

akaranus
On 10/7/2021 at 1:55 AM, Trustandi said:

Very nice brahea collection @akaranus. I wish I could grow the dulcis, nitida and super silver.

Dont know your climate but -10C with some protection while young shouldnt be a bigger problem

Trustandi

I am in zone 8b pnw.  We could grow them but they won't be very happy due to lack of heat and too much rain. The ones, we can grow are Brahea armata, Brahea clara, and possibly Brahea edulis.  Here is the pic of my Clara. 

PXL_20210922_153532237.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 5

Chester B

@Trustandi thank you for posting that pic. I was unaware of any B clara in the PNW. I can say edulis may be the best one for us as I have seen photos of that huge one in Seattle and have heard of success in other areas as well. 

@akaranus your colllection is very impressive. If I’m not mistaken you have some really great videos on YouTube of your garden. Definitely one of my favorites. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

akaranus
8 hours ago, Chester B said:

@Trustandi thank you for posting that pic. I was unaware of any B clara in the PNW. I can say edulis may be the best one for us as I have seen photos of that huge one in Seattle and have heard of success in other areas as well. 

@akaranus your colllection is very impressive. If I’m not mistaken you have some really great videos on YouTube of your garden. Definitely one of my favorites. 

thanks! yea its mine :)  from time to time i make some videos just to document process of growing...in january 2022 should be out on BBC in Monty Don series some better filming :)

@Trustandi wow great colour for clara, glad to see it can grow in annual cooler climates so well....i am in good zone 9a but our summer can be long and extremly hot so its perfect for braheas...

these are mine two claras, one in a ground one in pot waiting spring...my friend @Trava have already big beautiful speciment this is photo from 2019 now its way bigger....

72049193_10215505470974310_7476558169842384896_n.jpg

P1130341.jpg

P1130342.jpg

• Like 2

Trustandi

@akaranusthey are so beautiful. I love Claras. It will grow big much faster in your climate.

@Chester BI am trying the Edulis. It is still small 5g size from Phil - junglemusic. Let's hope it is happy in my garden 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

freakypalmguy

@akaranus beautiful Brahea collection:greenthumb:

• Like 1