Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JubaeaMan138

Copernicias Riverside California

Recommended Posts

JubaeaMan138

Thought I’d throw a little update on these guys going into winter . Copernicia Baileyana uP first

EAD4496B-6E6E-4E5F-9820-57C7E9B1679F.jpeg

A3E218B3-4E27-45FF-B413-97C24A0FA79B.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

That guy is finally situated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Copernicia gigas thank you @aztropic by far my favorite palm habitat collected seed . Scott could speak more on this palms journey 

2369F141-F11F-402E-BAB9-2FA07C6D7481.jpeg

1C11FA6A-5E3A-4DD4-BB4E-46C49AC02EBF.jpeg

D9B415FD-A210-46CF-BE9D-D4947D60DC79.jpeg

EA13C70E-9C46-4F1C-89FF-905D5629F082.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Come On inland so cal. we can pull this off . Don’t write off the Copernicia genus . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Enjoy this species so much I decided to try it from seed . This picture is about 1/4 of what I’ve got going . These guys love full sun out here !! From day one . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Copernicia curtisii 

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Thought I’d throw this one in there Coccothrinax crinita 

image.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans

From what I recall cuban copernicias have done well in california weather.  The biggest problem might be gophers if they are around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
25 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

From what I recall cuban copernicias have done well in california weather.  The biggest problem might be gophers if they are around.

Copies definitely want plenty of heat. Nearer the coast, they're very slow (as a group), in pots or in the ground.

The big exception seems to be C. alba, though C. prunifera isn't bad either. Note that both are nasty spiny, with kitty-cat claws on their petioles.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia is a species that definitely appreciates the heat. Following are a few of mine growing in the Arizona desert to show what's possible.

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia glabrecens

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

16335313833346427592320686175731.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia baileyana

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211006_074806900_HDR.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia berteroana 

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

 

IMG_20211006_074840745_HDR.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia macroglossa 

 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona

 

IMG_20211006_074903997_HDR.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia rigida 

 

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

 

IMG_20211006_074952024_HDR.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia yarey (blue)

 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211006_074936343.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Copernicia cowellii 

 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211006_075013023_HDR.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Only problem with Copernicia species is trying to locate them on the west coast! Fortunately,JubaeaMan138 is taking the time to grow them from seed.Give those seedlings another 5 years,and more Californians should get a better chance to trial this very hardy species. 

 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans

The cubans copernicias are slow no matter where you grow for the first 5 years.  I put my seedlings in half day sun and water when its not the rainy season.  Here are three hospitas and a macroglossa grown from strap leaf seedlings(3yrs this winter) and a 15g fallaensis I got earlier this year.  The rain here just seemed to invigorate them in late june as they were stalled almost in spring.  These cubans like getting wet, the irony here is keeping them wet with the sandy soil.  Out west clay helps a lot I bet.  You can contol moisture in clay soils easier than in sandy soil.

CubansNpots.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabal Steve

This is about 5-6 years old (maybe) from a 3 gallon.A5DDFF2B-C099-4A8E-BADF-50D477BA8EF6.thumb.jpeg.b79a882cae718a7634b9883dd10d2925.jpeg0248E283-1B2E-49E2-B7F8-A29E61A3E34C.thumb.jpeg.4743cc3ce38186e03ead7e412ee4b665.jpeg20BC46EB-F7A2-46DA-ADDD-F936C916F022.thumb.jpeg.e005eefcbf90c6c5e256afef87813562.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138
5 minutes ago, Sabal Steve said:

This is about 5-6 years old (maybe) from a 3 gallon.A5DDFF2B-C099-4A8E-BADF-50D477BA8EF6.thumb.jpeg.b79a882cae718a7634b9883dd10d2925.jpeg0248E283-1B2E-49E2-B7F8-A29E61A3E34C.thumb.jpeg.4743cc3ce38186e03ead7e412ee4b665.jpeg20BC46EB-F7A2-46DA-ADDD-F936C916F022.thumb.jpeg.e005eefcbf90c6c5e256afef87813562.jpeg

Killer Steve!!! How’s your Baileyana ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabal Steve
4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

The cubans copernicias are slow no matter where you grow for the first 5 years.  I put my seedlings in half day sun and water when its not the rainy season.  Here are three hospitas and a macroglossa grown from strap leaf seedlings(3yrs this winter) and a 15g fallaensis I got earlier this year.  The rain here just seemed to invigorate them in late june as they were stalled almost in spring.  These cubans like getting wet, the irony here is keeping them wet with the sandy soil.  Out west clay helps a lot I bet.  You can contol moisture in clay soils easier than in sandy soil.

CubansNpots.JPG

My strip out front is a clay/river rock/road base substrate.  I amended it, but it’s thick mucky clay a bit down.  I’ll surprised everything grows so well there, but I from what I remember (palms of Cuba ?) many of the Copernicias are seasonally flooded in clay soils, in Cuba.

 

FCE8E514-07DD-41A3-B3F5-CDA404345064.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabal Steve
Just now, JubaeaMan138 said:

Killer Steve!!! How’s your Baileyana ? 

Maybe like an 18” beach ball.  Slow, but happy.F3A495EE-FB47-4188-BE5D-088FD1A7AB57.thumb.jpeg.c65db0533a053bb3cdf8954194c3f8ad.jpegB2CB4C22-8E8B-44B2-B231-5B568AB09856.thumb.jpeg.d0184b5e7ce4bd9b8d718ac366265174.jpeg37F5460B-E4F3-4952-978A-4360A4D5DE60.thumb.jpeg.a60afdc00e51ffa09a14b43f1737b0c5.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Here’s my small Baileyana 

BADD8AB8-E6DD-4614-801C-459DAA247CBF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Fallaensis lost a little size when I put it in the ground . But I imagine next year it will

look great 

image.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

This fallaensis will get planted next spring . 

image.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
7 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Out west clay helps a lot I bet.  You can contol moisture in clay soils easier than in sandy soil.

 

10 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Nearer the coast, they're very slow (as a group), in pots or in the ground.  referencing California coast

Sandy soil on the coast in California, it can be done.  Perhaps a little more patience, but definitely something worth the effort on the coast.  I would have considered more from the genus if I had more space.  Photos are 5 years and 3 months apart of the same species, Coperncia x textilis one in my back yard, the second in the front yard.

20211006-BH3I5733.jpg

20160714-104A3949.jpg

20160714-104A3952.jpg

20211006-BH3I5735.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
33 minutes ago, Tracy said:

 

Sandy soil on the coast in California, it can be done.  Perhaps a little more patience, but definitely something worth the effort on the coast.  I would have considered more from the genus if I had more space.  Photos are 5 years and 3 months apart of the same species, Coperncia x textilis one in my back yard, the second in the front yard.

20211006-BH3I5733.jpg

20160714-104A3949.jpg

20160714-104A3952.jpg

20211006-BH3I5735.jpg

Eating crow can be tasty sometimes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frond-friend42

Is that D. ambositrae Tracy? Prettier than the palmpedia pics I've seen.

Utah's captivating copernicias in captivity salute you. Here represented are baileyana, yarey, fallaensis and the biggest are 2 macroglossas.  Hogs are chowing down real good.

20211008_141538.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138
19 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Is that D. ambositrae Tracy? Prettier than the palmpedia pics I've seen.

Utah's captivating copernicias in captivity salute you. Here represented are baileyana, yarey, fallaensis and the biggest are 2 macroglossas.  Hogs are chowing down real good.

20211008_141538.jpg

Killer! And In  Utah . I Got some Ekmanii should be leafing out here shortly ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Copernicia gigas still looking good ! Updates on any other western Copernicia 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Copernicia ekmanii community pot looks good as well little bit of cold damage on the tips but I’m happy with how they did outdooors considering these seed were sprouted at the beginning of winter and we’re outside as soon as they were sprouted Now that things have warmed up and things are waking up I hope these continue to survive 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Copernicia gigas looking good 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Baby fallaensis 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Fallaensis took winter like a chamomile. 

EEC6F97F-6C09-4B9C-93CC-61C6EA908670.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Gigas 

7DE3C2FC-5437-41D9-8268-5857DE723759.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

This Bailey is looking silver 

40665B16-4803-4FE2-9FEE-4063D233DE10.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Cool picture . From left to right . Copernicia Baileyana , roystonea boriquena , aloe spectabilis , Copernicia Alba 

9E1495C0-AA77-419B-9281-325926834ABC.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...