IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calamondin nutrient deficiency?

Manalto

This spring I bought a calamondin from Lowe's that was in nice, healthy condition. Since then,  it has slowly declined. With winter upon us, I thought it might be prudent to resolve whatever the issue is with this handsome plant. Any suggestions?

20211005_160552.thumb.jpg.cb2003fbb322d30bf23f52ab65932af2.jpg

On 10/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, amh said:

Only on newer leaves?

Might try some miracle gro next time you water.

No, it's throughout the plant but I sent a picture to the Cooperative Extension and they said because of all the rain we've had this summer in combination with the limited root system of the newly planted tree, it's a nutrient deficiency. Just as you did, they recommended fertilization to replace those nutrients that have been washed out of the soil. I also removed all the fruit and flowers to allow it to put its energy into growing rather than producing fruit.

• Like 2

@Manalto Im no citrus expert but I would guess you have sandy soil, so more than likely a good top dress of compost and manure with a general all purpose organic fertilizer made for citrus, or even just standard all purpose should resolve the issue. 

Id spread a 1cuft bag of composted manure around it with a few handfuls of something like espoma plant tone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

@Manalto Im no citrus expert but I would guess you have sandy soil, so more than likely a good top dress of compost and manure with a general all purpose organic fertilizer made for citrus, or even just standard all purpose should resolve the issue. 

Id spread a 1cuft bag of composted manure around it with a few handfuls of something like espoma plant tone. 

Good suggestion. I am at about the end of the season where I can put down fertilizer because it encourages new growth and we usually get a couple of frosts in the winter.

It bugs me to buy composted manure because it's, well, you know and I should be able to get it for free. I haven't found a source yet locally so I buy Black Kow which I can find in the big box stores. 

It's nice to see that someone else is using composted manure for soil amendment and nutrition delivery.

2 hours ago, Manalto said:

Good suggestion. I am at about the end of the season where I can put down fertilizer because it encourages new growth and we usually get a couple of frosts in the winter.

It bugs me to buy composted manure because it's, well, you know and I should be able to get it for free. I haven't found a source yet locally so I buy Black Kow which I can find in the big box stores. 

It's nice to see that someone else is using composted manure for soil amendment and nutrition delivery.

Rabbit and chicken manures are the safest to use and the epsom salts are a good additive. I've had similar problems with rain this year, but the plants are in containers, so frost is not a problem.

• Like 2

Yes, I have used both with good results. When I lived in Connecticut I also had a source for composted goat manure. For Connecticut River Valley soils (also acidic) it worked wonderfully and maintained a robust earthworm population. I also like the fact that my source followed organic practices so I wasn't introducing questionable drugs and chemicals into my soil, something you have to think about with horse and cow.

It's a yearly ritual around here to apply Epsom salts to palms and citrus about this time of year. Magnesium must be easily soluble in water and need replenishing.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

Again, spider mites....

Oops, sorry for not responding the first time. I checked for spider mites and saw no evidence, but I will check again.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Manalto said:

Homemade compost is always best, but if you don't have any, or an area were a bin can be placed, bagged compost is about all there is. 

Sometimes I use black kow, sometimes I use evergreen compost and manure (this stuff is basically just ground pine fines that have been tumbled in manure), and sometimes I use mushroom compost (probably wouldn't recommend because its high in grit and you've likely already got sandy soil). Plant tone is an organic fertilizer (my go-to) that helps build soil structure and well as feed. I haven't quite found another commercially available product that exactly like it. (Though there are other good brands)

If its spider mites, Id just use cold pressed neem diluted accordingly and intermittently throughout the winter. Plus, it has the added advantage of suppressing next years populations, and is a fungicide - which for fruit trees is beneficial. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Laaz said:

They are very hard to see, but you will see webbing.

I usually employ the sheet of white paper underneath, tap and smear method to check for spider mites. I also have a loupe.

Spider mites did seem like a possibility despite our rainy summer, but the yellowing on the citrus leaves is blotchy, which is why I thought it was a nutrient problem. The spider-mite damage I've seen in the past has manifested in a stippled pattern on the leaves. However, I'm new to citrus and am encountering new information about them all the time so it never hurts to be sure.  This month I learned about  Heraclides cresphonte, the Giant Swallowtail butterfly, which kept landing on my other calamondin, this one in a pot. Confused by its behavior since it was surrounded by an abundance of forage plants in bloom, I looked it up (Googled it).  The bird-dropping caterpillars that followed got gently transferred to the big citrus tree in the empty lot down the street. I like the butterflies and the caterpillars are a marvel of evolutionary adaptation,  but my wee citrus couldn't handle that much defoliation.

Edited by Manalto

Rule of thumb for growing citrus in the southeast & your area as well is to not use any fertilizer after August 1st. Late flushes of new growth will be killed back in the winter frost's. Spider mites can be taken care of with soapy water.. I use any old pesticide bottle you put on the end of your hose, fill it with dawn & spray the hell out of all leaves & plant parts.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Rule of thumb for growing citrus in the southeast & your area as well is to not use any fertilizer after August 1st. Late flushes of new growth will be killed back in the winter frost's. Spider mites can be taken care of with soapy water.. I use any old pesticide bottle you put on the end of your hose, fill it with dawn & spray the hell out of all leaves & plant parts.

Haha... nice.  I will use this technique for this pest.

37 minutes ago, Laaz said:

i went light on the fertilization because I didn't want to stimulate growth but also didn't want the plant to go into winter under nutrient stress.  The cooperative extension agent concurred. It's anybody's guess if I applied the right amount.

Yes, I use the soapy-water method too, often with a couple of drops of vegetable oil. The vegetable oil is probably redundant with all the emulsified fats in the soap but by that point I'm angry and want to smother the beasts.

30 minutes ago, Manalto said:

I usually employ the sheet of white paper underneath, tap and smear method to check for spider mites. I also have a loupe.

Spider mites did seem like a possibility despite our rainy summer, but the yellowing on the citrus leaves is blotchy, which is why I thought it was a nutrient problem. The spider-mite damage I've seen in the past has manifested in a stippled pattern on the leaves. However, I'm new to citrus and am encountering new information about them all the time so it never hurts to be sure.  This month I learned about  Heraclides cresphonte, the Giant Swallowtail butterfly, which kept landing on my other calamondin, this one in a pot. Confused by its behavior since it was surrounded by an abundance of forage plants in bloom, I looked it up (Googled it).  The bird-dropping caterpillars that followed got gently transferred to the big citrus tree in the empty lot down the street. I like the butterflies and the caterpillars are a marvel of evolutionary adaptation,  but my wee citrus couldn't handle that much defoliation.

Would bet money on a nutrient deficiency more than Spider Mites..  At least here, you see them when it is dry / dusty vs. when conditions are wet / humid.. and you see the same dusty looking stippling to the leaves you mention, not blotchy discoloration / yellowish new leaves ..  Growing up in California, Citrus -everything- is something you're typically familiar with as soon as you are born, lol..

Here's a good ID 'ing Diseases/ Disorders of Citrus guide you might look over:  http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/C107/m107bpleaftwigdis.html#CLOSE

How much you want to bet? I've been growing citrus for almost 20 years & have 40+ trees in my yard. Those yellow blotch spots are spider mite infestation. I've had it on several trees in the past. Yes even with our wet humid weather, they are still a problem.

Edited by Laaz

Here ya go, a sour orange out in the back yard, just cleaned the webbs away.

20211009_144822.jpg

Edited by Laaz

32 minutes ago, Laaz said:

How much you want to bet? I've been growing citrus for almost 20 years & have 40+ trees in my yard. Those yellow blotch spots are spider mite infestation. I've had it on several trees in the past. Yes even with our wet humid weather, they are still a problem.

Only a penny .. That's all any real bet is worth.  Still money though, right? haha..

Sold citrus in 3 states ( the biggest producers of all things citrus too ) on and off since the late 90's.. ( 24 years ) grown ( ..and grew up surrounded by them ) another decade ( or so ).  Never seen spider mite damage look like that.

Also, since the tree came from Lowe's, more than likely the grower Lowe's purchases from treats their trees w/ a long lasting systemic before they are allowed to be distributed..

You risk getting into big trouble w/ the AG department if you don't, esp. now that Citrus Greening is a major concern when moving trees around X state / across state lines.

I've seen this quite orten & it is spider mites, but a head & knock yourself out trying to remedy something else...