Eric in Orlando

a field of Beccariophoenix alfredii near Vero Beach, FL

Eric in Orlando

I drove past a wholesale nursery south of Vero Beach yesterday with a section of Beccariophoenix alfredii. I know quite a few nurseries in Florida are field growing them now but I had never seen one. The most B. alfredii I have ever seen at one time. 

PXL_20211003_183813224.jpg

PXL_20211003_183838127.jpg

PXL_20211003_183820177.jpg

• Like 31
  • Upvote 3

KDubU

Nice! Would not mind a few of these.

redant

Very cool. I have noticed tons of mules used by the state on the side of I95 these days.

• Like 2

DCA_Palm_Fan

That is so cool!   Looks like those trees are finally getting really noticed and put into production.     Glad to see that.   I know that I see mules being used a lot more in my area the past few years.   

• Like 1

howfam
11 hours ago, redant said:

Very cool. I have noticed tons of mules used by the state on the side of I95 these days.

Yeah, they really did a good job with a variety of palms at the I-95 Jupiter entrance/exit (Indiantown Rd), including Mules, Bismarckias, L. decora, Veitchias, and even a few Saribus rotundifolius (Footstool Palms). I look forward to the day when those B. alfredii will be included in such a planting. 

• Like 2

Eric in Orlando
22 hours ago, redant said:

They have also been planted Mules along the Turnpike and some locations on I-4. 

• Like 2

redant
12 hours ago, howfam said:

Yeah, they really did a good job with a variety of palms at the I-95 Jupiter entrance/exit (Indiantown Rd), including Mules, Bismarckias, L. decora, Veitchias, and even a few Saribus rotundifolius (Footstool Palms). I look forward to the day when those B. alfredii will be included in such a planting. 

Yeah that's my area. I was really surprised buy what a nice selection they put in.

Eric in Orlando

Also in Jupiter on Alt A1A south of Indiantown I noticed some Dictyosperma in the medians. And on Military Trail south of Indiantown are nice Saribus rotundifolius that have been there for awhile now. 

DoomsDave

Hmm.

What's the plan? Are those plants in pots/boxes/bags? Or are they going to be grown in the ground then dug out?

awkonradi
19 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

What's the plan? Are those plants in pots/boxes/bags? Or are they going to be grown in the ground then dug out?

It would be cool if that is intended to be a "seed plantation", but I would be surprised if that long-term an investment was planned.

Eric in Orlando
1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

In ground, field grown

howfam
10 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Also in Jupiter on Alt A1A south of Indiantown I noticed some Dictyosperma in the medians. And on Military Trail south of Indiantown are nice Saribus rotundifolius that have been there for awhile now. 

Yeah the S. rotundifolius on Military Trail have been there a few years now. Really a beautiful palm deserving more use. Dictyosperma equally as beautiful and shows promise for future use.

Valhallalla
15 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

In Davie along the southbound Turnpike exit ramp to Griffin Road there are several Chambeyronia macrocarpa that have been there for some time. Because of their location they usually are not particularly noticeable but when I went by there about 10 days ago two palms had red leaves showing. I love uncommon palms in common places.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0839751,-80.216749,3a,75y,178.21h,74.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4XoHfjgoqBcSf5YEOWGJgg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Zeeth

Love this