IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

T. fortunei growth habit

Fallen Munk

After my Trachycarpus fortunei went through the ice storm, it changed growth habit this year.  It went from having long petioles to a more typical growth habit.  After the storm weighed it down, the petioles bent and the fronds were against the ground.  I ended up cutting all almost all of them because the tree was all broken up.  And this is how it grew back. 

Before

fortunei5.thumb.jpg.0ed567a169c2baf49835579f17040f2c.jpg

After

fortunei2021.thumb.jpg.b0f24c887f3b5cc038df700d68ba7ff2.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

Is it maybe getting more sun now?  

How much trunk did it put on this year? 

Same sun.  About 18" of trunk this year.

That’s odd with no change in sun. Looks great. 

• Like 1

When a palm has a serious stress event occur to it such as loosing lots of fronds, roots disturbed or rotted, transplanted, etc. the newer fronds will grow back with much less vigor and sometimes appear stunted, short or smaller than previous fronds.  A palm will also go thru cycles where fronds are of different sizes due to current seasonal growing conditions.  ie a Trachy may grow better fronds during spring/fall during moderate temperatures and less so during summer resulting in a crown that has frons of varying length.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

When a palm has a serious stress event occur to it such as loosing lots of fronds, roots disturbed or rotted, transplanted, etc. the newer fronds will grow back with much less vigor and sometimes appear stunted, short or smaller than previous fronds.  A palm will also go thru cycles where fronds are of different sizes due to current seasonal growing conditions.  ie a Trachy may grow better fronds during spring/fall during moderate temperatures and less so during summer resulting in a crown that has frons of varying length.  

Well in this case the fronds grew back like they are on steroids, haha.  The new fronds are really stiff, whereas the old fronds were floppy and easily damaged.  Whatever the cause, it looks really nice.  Hopefully winter isn't too hard on it this year.

• Like 1

Of all the Trachys I have they are pretty much floppy and easily damaged even though I've gotten them from a variety of sources.  I'd love to find some like that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

Of all the Trachys I have they are pretty much floppy and easily damaged even though I've gotten them from a variety of sources.  I'd love to find some like that.  

Look into the Bulgaria.  They have really stiff fronds.  They grow really fast too.  I started a bunch from seed last year and they are double the size of the regular fortunei I germinated at the same time.  The only seller I can recommend is the guy in Vancouver Canada that collects seeds in December every year and sells them on ebay.  I've bought seeds from other sellers that were sold as Bulgaria and they turned out to be just regular fortunei.  I guess they figure you won't find out for two or three years so it's easy to swindle people.

• Like 1

Palm looks great...perhaps the event triggered a specific response that makes the palm sturdier...in any event, and in my opinion, the palm you have now Is far more attractive...my Trachy went from total shade to full sun when the protective pine tree growing over it was removed and it ended up making that same transformation...but your palm’s sun exposure didn’t change. Guess it’s more prepared now for a similar event in the future. Do the Frond segments look thicker than they were before the ice? Mine shortened up and they appeared anyway, to thicken up as well. We had a couple ice events last winter and it held up really well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Look into the Bulgaria.  They have really stiff fronds.  They grow really fast too.  I started a bunch from seed last year and they are double the size of the regular fortunei I germinated at the same time.  The only seller I can recommend is the guy in Vancouver Canada that collects seeds in December every year and sells them on ebay.  I've bought seeds from other sellers that were sold as Bulgaria and they turned out to be just regular fortunei.  I guess they figure you won't find out for two or three years so it's easy to swindle people.

I think its too late for me, I'm out of room.  I still have a takil and a few Nainital to find spots for.  If I counted correctly I have 32 fortunei in the ground, so either I need to remove some or I'm done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

I think its too late for me, I'm out of room.  I still have a takil and a few Nainital to find spots for.  If I counted correctly I have 32 fortunei in the ground, so either I need to remove some or I'm done.

Wow, that's a lot!  I've only got two in the ground so far.  I'm saving some spots for T. latisectus and T.  takil.  Got some good seeds from RPS germinating right now.  I've got a huge order of T. princeps seeds for this December if coldplant is still in business.  Trying to grow all of the different Trachy since they do so well here.

• Like 1

I have two takil, one in ground one in a pot, plus in ground 2 wags, 2 princeps and a single latisectus. 

I did a count earlier this summer and I’m at 100 palms in the ground. So clearly I’m out of room. 

18" is a lot of trunk.  I can't believe how fast these things grow when given good soil and water.  

26 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

18" is a lot of trunk.  I can't believe how fast these things grow when given good soil and water.  

I like to think 18” is what you should expect under good conditions in our climate - sort of the benchmark. However they can exceed this, the fastest one I have did 30” of trunk this last year.  

Now if I could get my Sabals to grow at even 10% of that rate and I’d be happy. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

All of the new fronds are coming in with more than 360 degree fronds.  The leaflets actually overlap over the petiole and each other.

fortunei360x.jpg

fortunei360.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
added another photo
  • Like 3