ShaneHarding

syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina and Phoenix sylvestris

ShaneHarding

Hi guys I’m fairly new to tropical gardening started this year in may and I have fallen head first into things and have learnt an awful lot already . 

I've already got 2 x Phoenix canariensis  - 5x Washingtonia robustas and a trachycarpus fortunei which are doing really well but I want to branch out abit and see what’s possible to grow in my area!
I live in the coastal village of Braunton in North Devon - south west England zone 9b and I’m around 10 meters above sea level .

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to grow syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina (supposedly hardy queen palm ) and Phoenix sylvestris (silver date palm) I’m the south of England or even England in general with any success? 

thanks in advance 

Shane 

D Palm

Phoenix Sylvesteris is more cold hardy than the Queen Palm.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      I stumbled across this Phoenix palm recently and noticed it seemed a bit different. For one it was suckering profusely, although I initially thought it was just several small CIDP's planted closely together. However, going back in time on Google street view, I can confirm that it is in fact just the one Phoenix palm, which is clearly suckering.
      The first pictures are from 2015, back when it was quite a bit smaller. Even then it appears to be exhibiting a clumping nature, with quite a few suckers being put out. The owner of the house also appears to be Middle Eastern, which may pay homage to the possibility of it being Dactylifera, as opposed to say Theophrasti or Reclinata. 

Here it is more recently, showing it really suckering profusely now. It is also noticeably a LOT slower growing than traditional CIDP's are in the London area, which would be more than double that size by now, during the 5-6 years between the first two photos and the last two. The fronds also seem a bit 'off' for CIDP as well, with a bluey/silver hint of colour to them, although it could just be the lighting? 

What are your thoughts? Dactylifera? Theophrasti? Hybrid? I suppose it will become more evident in the coming years as it continues to grow bigger. Since I have the location, I can obviously monitor it moving forward. I suspect the jury will be out on it for some time, until it grows bigger. My first thought was CIDP x Dacty hybrid, but I doubt it would sucker to that extent if it was a CIDP hybrid? It's straight up suckering like a Dacty, but I suppose it could still be a hybrid. Very hard to tell at this stage. I suspect other people have spent more time around smaller Dacty specimens than me though, so they may be able to tell, and confirm whether it is or not...? Cheers 
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      These are all in London and the outer suburbs...
      Robusta's

Hybrids

Filifera's...

I repeat... this is just the London region only. I've probably missed a fair few, especially ones lurking in back yards. I know of quite a few more that are out there.
    • Arecaceae78743
      By Arecaceae78743
      I had know before that palms grew in El Paso and Del Rio but it did not occur to me that they would grow in the big bend. It would make sense because the location dips south and has the Davis mountains blocking north winds and there are lower points in elevation such as by the rio grande where it would stay warmer. The zone is considered 8b by the usda. 
      Here are some pics before the big freeze (not mine)

and some after pics but they survive.
      https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/102077751
      https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101993528
      https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/101993501

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      From my understanding, this CIDP was planted as a tiny little seedling in River Gardens, Fulham sometime around 1986-87. It has since gone on to become the biggest CIDP in London, as far as I am aware. There may well be bigger ones lurking out there in back yards, but this is the biggest known London CIDP.
      The earliest photo I can find is this one, which I believe is from 1993-94...?

Back in 2000...

12 years later in 2012, showing massive trunk expansion...

March 2021 after a bad winter. It's in desperate need of a trim, which would make the trunk look a LOT bigger...

Hopefully I will get a more recent photo of it from this autumn/fall soon. Maybe an even earlier photo of it too from the late 80's, not long after being planted. A lot of the other London CIDP's will probably be about this size in the next decade or so. A couple are already close to being the same size as this one. The London skyline is certainly changing!
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      A few from Weymouth on the south coast of England...