IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fall Palm Updates and Tropical Backyard

Dartolution

As this growing season comes to its end, I've realized how much things have changed in the last 3 years after completely redesigning my tiny backyard space. 

Today has been overcast with showers, and I managed to sneak some pictures between rainstorms. 
I thought I would share some of these with you guys. 

First up is the sabal blackburniana from Phil. This sabal has gone through quite the transformation in the past year and a half or so. The fronds were first deeply divided almost appearing minor-esque and have slowly become more costapalmate and recurved (which I am not bad about!).

SabalBlackburniana03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.05c84f59cdf2555439b5beef91157bd3.JPG

SabalsBlackburniana203OCT2021.thumb.JPG.3f9ac3fe6c99a9160a8e6f6ea15bcbc6.JPG

SabalBlackburniana303OCT2021.thumb.JPG.11c55b2713d362f032f60b081e77ae00.JPG

Next there's the medium of the 3 Chamaerops in the back. This tiny thing has turned into a very full and seemingly very happy male chamaerops (flowered this past spring).

MdChamaerops103OCT2021.thumb.JPG.f5db80d44306a3402e6d4cef5984d0a6.JPG

MdChamaerops303OCT2021.thumb.JPG.1846c46d270aa585de2c76b5143de764.JPG

MdChamaerops203OCT2021.thumb.JPG.dffaf28527ea41a2c7984af716a7ca6c.JPG

The Larger of the 3 has filled out quite a lot. It has roughly 3.5 ft of trunk at this point - which is hidden by the plants below. This winter, or early spring I will update it of course. These seem to do a lot of "extending" during the cooler parts of the year - or maybe its just me?

LgChamaerops103OCT2021.thumb.JPG.f580cd8ff036b07d499d61c1a5788f73.JPG

LgChamerops203OCT2021.thumb.JPG.906d6b157f2fb465750a5907675d4b23.JPG

This blue butia I put in last April has grown in nicely and officially peaked over the fence this year. It was labeled as capitata, but considering the nursery, and the local population around that area were they are sold it would appear to be possibly catariensis.

Butia203OCT2021.thumb.JPG.8a68101f44ce9307791ffa6273aab5a9.JPG

Butia103OCT2021.thumb.JPG.58c39c1a7c72af4d9c2d5eaa9948aa80.JPG

Butia403OCT2021.thumb.JPG.ca94791892141c0d3e30031fd0ae80ea.JPG

This trigeneric hybrid (BXJXS) or (JXBXS) was originally acquired from Michael at MPOM. It has been a complete pain to keep happy. Needs amble water, and a lot of extra potassium for some reason.

JXBXS03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.635e90cb480a0993380679793a861f13.JPG.

Bizzie from Phil has grown a lot as well. As the nights cool it transitions from being a bright blue/silver to a purple color during the winter.

Bizzie03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.cce85c9ddd1bd19668124bbe45fd9a7d.JPG

Triple Roebelenii - Not much to say other than its grown a bit more and this picture doesn't do it justice:

Roebelenii03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.c2181e964750074ce219dd6cb934af2f.JPG

NEXT:

• Like 20
  • Upvote 2

This Mule palm stumped me for a while this year, about mid summer it appeared unhappy and yellowing. Upon inspection it appeared EXTREMELY ROOTBOUND and the roots had actually broken through the bottom of the pot and were dangling between the cement bricks it is sat on. After a repot into a larger ceramic (heavy) planter it began growing a lot quicker and the fronds have began to deepen in color. Moral of the story - don't let your mules get potbound! 

MulePalm03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.d8037a605fcb6c79a713cd1c7363e3b6.JPG

Majesty - Obligatory - Its a majesty... 

Majesty03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.10f2ef0285589a8b15dc6a715c7ca0fd.JPG

Golden Malayan Coconut - Which was originally acquired through ROOT98 warehouse I think - has grown a good bit this year. This isn't the best angle as I recently turned the pot since it was growing out slightly.

GoldenCoconut03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.8d62885e76c951bfe9c47a567bd51b0c.JPG

GoldenCoconut203OCT2021.thumb.JPG.bf4d52d28d5d3dcd850b00cf6ec139c5.JPG

My little Serenoa silver saw has finally stabilized. It was infested with scale this spring when I picked it up. After some pretty labor intensive removal, repotting, feeding, spraying etc... It is finally pest free and starting to love life again. Yes, its tiny, yes its in a pot (because I am totally out of room at this point). It should be able to stay outdoors year round here.

SerenoaRepensSilver03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.7ebd9134f645355fcc43be807ab1ce40.JPG

Lastly but not least - my silver queen. Obtained from MPOM again. This thing has been the fastest growing queen I've ever had. I originally bought 3. 1 was planted in the ground last year and while it survived our bad winter with a low of 15F protected, it looked like complete garbage this year and the cannas promptly took it over. I decided to remove it since it was only an experiment to begin with. The other was given to family - which it is NOWHERE NEAR this large. The last as you see I have in a pot. The top of the canopy is 13Ft. I have no idea how I am going to overwinter this one. 

QueenPalm103OCT2021..thumb.jpg.d87324452c4c5bf6d0c074442a4e2133.jpg

BONUS SHOTS OF THE TROPICALS

For anyone who hung around and is interested: 

Musa Basjoo clump in flower. This is being relocated behind the fence in the spring to replace 2 horrible looking crape myrtle's, and a Dwarf Namwah is going in its place. 

MusaBasjoo03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.b4d386d2ac4585fb79e7c8de098bb334.JPG

Kaleidoscope Mangave that came back from 15F in ground. For those of us who struggle with Agave due to temperature or moisture - mangave's are the way to go. This one colors up in fall upon the return of cooler weather. 

KaleidoscopeMangave03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.f7c019fa7433fdb089ba9e568e807379.JPG

Hardy Hibiscus (moscheutos) planted this fall to take the place of a poorly placed miss huff lantana that became monstrous. I tried crossing this with a rosa-senensis and currently have 18 seedlings growing - we will see if it was successful:

HibiscusWaterfallSide03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.4243636d2487c5cbc8f09e1bc28509d4.JPG

Waterfall shot that I thought looked nice:

Waterfall03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.928229364795a859f465d1d9ae2d25b0.JPG

Harlequin Hawaiian Ti Plant, my favorite ti plant of all time:

HarlaquinTiPlant03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.9a5aefd45ee668523ad06adbb836d40f.JPG

This growing season I brought several anthuriums (hybrids, magnificum, crystallinum) outdoors for the year. I have to say - they appeared to love it. No surprise since we are warm and humid for much of the year. These have been exposed to mid 30's and as high as mid 90's with no noticeable issue. 

AnthuriumCrystallinum03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.02977aced390139675731ea3ca3e2516.JPG

Thanks for sticking around! Enjoy! :P

• Like 19
  • Upvote 1

Everything here is awesome.  Love that silver Butia, those big sweeping fronds, that is wild.  Great work.  Looks like lots of work! 

• Like 2

Very tropical looking, Everything looks awesome! Nice colorful garden. :greenthumb:

Silver Queen...:shaka-2:

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

Everything looks great!  Tropical staycation

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Great looking backyard. Gives inspiration to those of us who are just starting to build out our yards. 

• Like 1

Wow! How big is your backyard? I imagine its not that big, regardless, it just shows that theres never not enough room for plants B)

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Thanks All!

@JLM its tiny. I bought a townhouse 5 yrs ago when things were very different than they are now. 

Its 20ft wide by 40ft long. Patio takes up about 15 ft of the 40. When I say tiny, I mean it. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 3:41 PM, Dartolution said:

MdChamaerops103OCT2021.thumb.JPG.f5db80d44306a3402e6d4cef5984d0a6.JPG

MdChamaerops303OCT2021.thumb.JPG.1846c46d270aa585de2c76b5143de764.JPG

MdChamaerops203OCT2021.thumb.JPG.dffaf28527ea41a2c7984af716a7ca6c.JPG

Bizzie03OCT2021.thumb.JPG.cce85c9ddd1bd19668124bbe45fd9a7d.JPG

Those dark purple-ish philodendrons look awesome, I need to get me some of those.:drool:

Is that Bizzie in the ground year round?

What's that yellow-ish, variegated looking plant underneath the chamaerops?  

Amazing work, I love that little waterfall! Do you have any local gardening new outlets that may want to feature something like this? Are the banana's growing underneath the fence yet? I assume you will need some serious protection during those 8A winters for some of these plants!

Amazing yard! How does your Heliconia do in the ground during winter? I added those and Orange birds of paradise this summer. 

On 10/5/2021 at 8:15 PM, Emman said:

Those dark purple-ish philodendrons look awesome, I need to get me some of those.:drool:

Is that Bizzie in the ground year round?

What's that yellow-ish, variegated looking plant underneath the chamaerops?  

Thanks @Emman! The dark purple-ish philodendron is actually a Colocasia "Electric Blue Gecko." A perennial elephant ear that produces deep black to metallic blue foliage. Very easy, but I would recommend planting it in a moist area that receives good morning and late evening sun with mid-day reprieve. 

Nope, the Bizzie is potted in a large cylinder planter. They aren't hardy here unfortunately. 

Not sure which yellow variegated plant you're asking about. It may be a Bromeliad or the color guard yucca.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:58 PM, Swolte said:

Amazing work, I love that little waterfall! Do you have any local gardening new outlets that may want to feature something like this? Are the banana's growing underneath the fence yet? I assume you will need some serious protection during those 8A winters for some of these plants!

Hey @Swolte! No idea if any nurseries here actually feature or perform waterfall or pond installations, Im sure someone does. 
The Basjoo's have become ridiculous - which is one of the reasons they must be relocated. They aren't growing under the fence but they've already busted through their "allotment" in the bed this year. They do not need any protection at all here. Basjoo's are hardy up through something like zone 6. Here, the foliage dies in winter, but the pseudo stems are fine. Last year we got down to 15F. Pseudos still retained 4-6 feet of height. The outer most leafs on the pseudo stem die, but once March arrives they push out new growth and don't look back. They are planted fairly commonly in my area.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:59 PM, D Palm said:

Amazing yard! How does your Heliconia do in the ground during winter? I added those and Orange birds of paradise this summer. 

@D Palm Thank you! No heli's are planted in ground. Some are in pots nestled within the foliage of other plants to give the illusion of them being in the landscape. Unfortunately there really aren't any species of heliconia that will survive and flower in 8a. Heliconia schiedeana may survive, but certainly unlikely to flower. I have psittacorums, rostrata, "tropic", hirsuta, and lingulata. All of which must be overwintered indoors on a heat mat. They are a pain but I love them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Beautiful yard! I have a question - your Golden Malayan Coconut - how do you get that through the winter? I had two coconut trees. One died last winter and the other is barely hanging on. I bring them in for the winter and mist them several times a day. I think the lack of humidity in the house really is the problem.

6 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

Beautiful yard! I have a question - your Golden Malayan Coconut - how do you get that through the winter? I had two coconut trees. One died last winter and the other is barely hanging on. I bring them in for the winter and mist them several times a day. I think the lack of humidity in the house really is the problem.

@SALOttawa Thank you for the compliment. 

I am no expert on coconuts, but it has been no trouble to overwinter. 

It is planted in 50% sand, and 50% Jungle Growth potting mix. There is a layer of lava rock at the bottom of the pot. 

I do not water it hardly at all in winter, too much moisture seems to cause root rot in cool indoor environments. Mine overwinters near a south facing window and gets a splash of water maybe once a month. It is usually indoors from November - mid march or so. 

The humidity down here is usually pretty high year round. The humidity in the house stays 50-60% even in winter.  Not sure if that helps, but there ya' go. 

@Paradise Found Thats a Aphelandra hartwegiana. Very easy large tropical shrub that blooms from late spring - until. haha I usually chop it down to about a 12" stick to store inside for the winter, and it grows right back indoors. By spring its a small bush and its time to go back outside for the year. 

Heres a picture of it today. It was chopped, cleaned, and brought inside about a week ago and as you can see is already starting to produce new growth. 

IMG_9236.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the ID, it very cool and related to the shrimp plant which is even more cooler. I am trying the pink shrimp next year so will see if I can get this one too.  Thank You! and for the growing tips.

There are a good many plants whose common name is "shrimp plant." I am not sure which you are referring. 

Justicia brandegeeana is root hardy here and grows with vigor as soon as spring begins. I have 2 potted Pachystachys lutea that might be my favorite tropical shrub since they are extremely easy to grow. I have Aphelandra hartwegiana, and Aphelandra sinclariana that are both also "shrimp plants" but quite different from each other. 

Justicia brandegeeana - fruit cocktail is a nice one!

Aphelandra are a great tropical plants. I was talking about Aphelandra sinclairana. 

Justicia brandegreeana is nice too. 

Photo of A. sinclairana. 

3575.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found

On 10/3/2021 at 3:58 PM, Dartolution said:

Golden Malayan Coconut - Which was originally acquired through ROOT98 warehouse I think - has grown a good bit this year. This isn't the best angle as I recently turned the pot since it was growing out slightly.

Nice pickup!  They operate here in town.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 11/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, Paradise Found said:

Aphelandra are a great tropical plants. I was talking about Aphelandra sinclairana. 

Justicia brandegreeana is nice too. 

Photo of A. sinclairana. 

3575.jpg

@Paradise Found If you get a cutting they can take some time to establish, but once they get going they seem to be fine. Mine begin flowering in late winter (February) indoors here, and continue to June. 

I've tried taking cutting for years and failed, but this year decided to set up a series of experiments with softwood vs hardwood and using root hormone and without. 

Turns out you have to take hardwood cuttings with them, or at least mine does. Which root quickly. 

Thanks for the tip, If I take cutting next fall I will keep this in mind.  There just so cool looking. I ran out of room inside so no annual cuttings.