IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It looks like some rain for SE Qld

Walter John

Saturday      Rain developing late                 Min 14    Max 24

Sunday        Rain at times                          Min 13    Max 21

Monday        Rain clearing to a shower or two       Min 11    Max 23

Tuesday       A few showers                          Min 12    Max 22

Wednesday     Showers                                Min 13    Max 22

Thursday      Showers                                Min 12    Max 21

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I hope you guys in SE QLD get a drenching. You need it.

We're getting 25C tomorrow, a taste of Spring, then rain with temps from 9-12C min and 18-19C max so nothing near freezing. Our dams are filling up fast, not that the government is going to publicise that, considering they've increased water restrictions to include the whole state including the rain drenched Ord River area.

Enjoy the rain guys.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Been dry as a wooden god for the last 2 weeks

then some nice little showers the last 3 days .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Nothing but drizzle, and very little of it.

Interview with bureau of meterology weather forecaster for Brisbane area, Mr. Ron Ackebottom.

Wal:

"So Ron, you predicted rain again I see"  :)

Ron:

"Yes, that's correct" :D

Wal:

"Well, where is it man, this is the umpteenth time you've said rain this year and we've received diddly squat" :(

Ron:

"Look, it all comes down to the variables of wind and pressure systems meeting and.........." :o

Wal (interrupting):

"Wait, hold it there. if you say rain, then we expect some blasted rain, don't give me that crap about systems, I'll give you systems, my old septic one for starters, right down your throat" :angry:

Ron:

"I beg your pardon ?"  ???

Wal:

"Come here mister pain in the arse, (takes mister ackebottom to the window) see that ?, what colour is that sky ?"

Ron:

"Ah, blue ?" ???

to be continued...............

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The only precipitation here is the spray coming out of my mouth as I swear at the weather gods...

Not one drop of rain in 8 weeks...this will be a desert area soon! Especially as we aren't allowed to water except with a watering can..what a joke! That is an exercise in futility...2.5 acres with a watering can.

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It is usually dry at this time of the year anyway guys. Thunderstorms and hail should start about October, that will take your mind off the rain. It probably will rain Monday as I'm pumping cement into the footing of a 50 meter rock retaining wall. It's all in the planning ......

Been light rain here for a couple of hours. I put some tea tree mulch out in time.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nearly 25 mls so far here, how about you Daryl ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(eastern.nurseries @ Aug. 19 2007,09:33)

It is usually dry at this time of the year anyway guys. Thunderstorms and hail should start about October, that will take your mind off the rain. It probably will rain Monday as I'm pumping cement into the footing of a 50 meter rock retaining wall. It's all in the planning ......

Jon, yes, true it is much drier in Winter than Summer, but our July-August weather here has on average 12 rain days and about 100mm total rain. Some years wetter, some drier. This year we had absolutely nothing until yesterday arvo. Normally this wouldn't concern me in winter, but with the restrictions it has made it hard to keep plants alive or healthy. I have a lot of species starting to wilt and dry out. September is usually my worst month and trying to keep water up to the plants then is very hard. I take it you have no water shortage there?

Wal, 62mm overnight and still raining...woohoo! That should perk up the garden again.

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, The sun came out by lunch today, Monday. I don't think we had more than 25mm. The valley I live in has a unique microclimate it rarely dries out, the creek that flows through my property seldom stops flowing on the surface. It is one of the sources of the Noosa river [eastern branch of kin kin creek] My irrigation license allows me to draw 18 megaliters a year and I have a bore as well that is unrestricted. The main shadehouse I operate from is completely lined under the floor with a waterproof woven polyethylene fabric this allows me to catch all runoff and rainfall which is piped to a lined catchment that holds 1.1 megs. Then on a daily basis enough water is drawn  from the dam filtered to 25um, ph adjusted to 5.8, chlorinated for 15mins at 4ppm and stored in black poly tanks for the next irrigation cycle. The shadehouse being 5000m2 of floor area effectively collects 5000liters of water for every 1mm of rain therefore in an average year where we get about 1600mm of rain the shadehouse catches 8 million liters. Think about this Daryl, if you had 62mm of rain on your 2.5 acres that is 682000 liters of water weighing 682 tons, where does it all go?

Jon , you will be right for water by the sound of it .

Very  efficient set up , it must have cost a bit .

It is a requirment for nurseries to control the run-off now .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

G,Day guys

There has been 92mm here as of 7pm & it can stop anytime it likes because my family are sugar cane growers & the harvest is well underway & the harvesters are really destroying the feilds at the moment :( .

But my garden will really benefit from the soaking.

Cheers

Matt.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Michael, It certainly wasn't cheap to set up. And yes there is a legal requirement for me to control my runoff under EPA laws now. But I set it up like this primarily as a low energy sustainable system to see me through to my retirement. To grow quality pot plants you start with clean water, clean pots and clean media.

(eastern.nurseries @ Aug. 20 2007,17:54)

Daryl, The sun came out by lunch today, Monday. I don't think we had more than 25mm. The valley I live in has a unique microclimate it rarely dries out, the creek that flows through my property seldom stops flowing on the surface. It is one of the sources of the Noosa river [eastern branch of kin kin creek] My irrigation license allows me to draw 18 megaliters a year and I have a bore as well that is unrestricted. The main shadehouse I operate from is completely lined under the floor with a waterproof woven polyethylene fabric this allows me to catch all runoff and rainfall which is piped to a lined catchment that holds 1.1 megs. Then on a daily basis enough water is drawn  from the dam filtered to 25um, ph adjusted to 5.8, chlorinated for 15mins at 4ppm and stored in black poly tanks for the next irrigation cycle. The shadehouse being 5000m2 of floor area effectively collects 5000liters of water for every 1mm of rain therefore in an average year where we get about 1600mm of rain the shadehouse catches 8 million liters. Think about this Daryl, if you had 62mm of rain on your 2.5 acres that is 682000 liters of water weighing 682 tons, where does it all go?

What I'd give to store some of the water that falls on this place...one day!

Daryl

Hi Daryl

i believe your wife has the answer:-)  :D  :laugh:

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Pouring rain is here,

Everything is fruity

Sloshing down the guttered lane

Singing "You bloody beauty!".

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Aug. 21 2007,17:49)

Pouring rain is here,

Everything is fruity

Sloshing down the guttered lane

Singing "You bloody beauty!".

Wal, it is definitely worth singing about! Still pouring here, 98mm and rising. Creek is torrential.

Colin...don't go there!

Daryl

G"day Jon

The CCS was 11.9 to 12.1 but with the rain it has dropped right back 9.0 & you would be horrified to see the feilds today after 150mm of rain & 100km per hour winds that we had last night!. The harvester actually worked today using the GPS system as they could not see the rows as they were covered with water, there was only 300 tonne left to harvest so the farmer decided to do it, brave move in my books.

Theres been some damage to my palms from large branches falling of the large blood wood in the garden. I'm very disappointed that my largest licuala ramsayii was damaged by by one of falling branches.

Thank goodness the rain & wind has eased this afternoon.

Cheers

Matt.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

70 mls and counting in two to three days. The winds have been lashing big time, apart from the usual suspect pots blown over I once again have had my big bizzie blown to a slant, this time, to the other direction, I've roped him up again and must do something about this on a permament basis, must be just too sandy or something. Also have had my Cham klotziana blown over, propped her up and just need to pile some soil at the base, not enough time this morning, gotta tramp off to work.

The rains are a blessing but the winds are ferocious at times. I think the rain has brought a bamboo back to life for me too.

How's everyone else going at present in SE QLD and NE NSW with this bizarre low ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

114mm now. The wind was quite gusty all night, and it is now just drizzly weather, although the sun is trying to break through. Everything has had a nice drink!

The mountains here (Springbrook) had 240 mm yesterday so that will help Hinze dam. Wonder how Wivenhoe is going?

Daryl

It's nice to hear you guys got some decent rain at last. Pity about the wind.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(Wal @ Aug. 19 2007,07:06)

Nothing but drizzle, and very little of it.

Interview with bureau of meterology weather forecaster for Brisbane area, Mr. Ron Ackebottom.

Wal:

"So Ron, you predicted rain again I see"  :)

Ron:

"Yes, that's correct" :D

Wal:

"Well, where is it man, this is the umpteenth time you've said rain this year and we've received diddly squat" :(

Ron:

"Look, it all comes down to the variables of wind and pressure systems meeting and.........." :o

Wal (interrupting):

"Wait, hold it there. if you say rain, then we expect some blasted rain, don't give me that crap about systems, I'll give you systems, my old septic one for starters, right down your throat" :angry:

Ron:

"I beg your pardon ?"  ???

Wal:

"Come here mister pain in the arse, (takes mister ackebottom to the window) see that ?, what colour is that sky ?"

Ron:

"Ah, blue ?" ???

to be continued...............

Okay, all you have to do is threaten the weather man, wish I'd a done it sooner, it's pissin' down here, sorry if I offend with that language, but that's the best way to describe it.

YeeHaa !!

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Excellent news Wal

By the look of the BOM radar image its fairly wide spread to. I hope Somerset dam get heaps as well.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

The Sunshine Coast just north of Brisbane copped it last night...

Since 9am

23 Aug

Coops Corner TM * 636

Mt Bilewilam AL * 651  = 26 inches

Mount Elliot AL * 212

Mount Wolvi AL * 225

Black Pinch Road AL * 230

Boreen Point AL * 314

Lake Cooroibah AL * 258

Lake Cooroibah     47

Mount Tinbeerwah AL * 234

Tewantin AWS *   288

Tewantin AL * 289

Noosa Heads AL * 399

719mm in 24hrs at Rainbow Beach. An Australian August record.

Is the drought over now??????

SOI is heading up. The right way to end drought.

Tyrone

Hi All

There should be some photos here as it's been a long time between rains, and it’s always nice to see some photos especially for those in there drier seasons or in a drought!

I must say that there will be many that did not know how much rain we can get here on the Sunshine coast!!

Wal and Darrel

I don’t think that the Palm Society will be able to get here on Sunday especially if the rain does not stop we have had over 450mm in the last few days and the creek and all the water falls are working over time, so much so that you can not drive across our causeway! There must be millions of gallons flowing over every few minutes.

It’s been a hectic week with baby goats “kids” everywhere and the female Rottie “Diva” also just about to have pups! Here are a few photos that Teresa took today with a few of our water falls. :)

post-592-1187955868_thumb.jpg

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

one more.

post-592-1187955934_thumb.jpg

another one.

post-592-1187956034_thumb.jpg

Last one, I will take a few more photos tomorrow.   Enjoy

Clayton

post-592-1187956312_thumb.jpg

No worries Clayton , I'll let the boys know...

Daryl

(Daryl @ Aug. 24 2007,22:28)

No worries Clayton , I'll let the boys know...

Daryl

Is this a definite cancellation Daryl and Clayton ? If so, I'll make other plans. I was hoping to chat with the Darwin adventurers though for pre planning etc.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, Mark Wuschke has started notifying everyone that it is definitely cancelled.

Daryl

Getting around this morning looking at all the water made me feel a bit like a crow.... FARK....FARK....FFAARRRRKK

(eastern.nurseries @ Aug. 25 2007,11:33)

Getting around this morning looking at all the water made me feel a bit like a crow.... FARK....FARK....FFAARRRRKK

Any chance of a photo Jon ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Your majestics are in heaven!!

Take note those in West Oz. That's how much water they need to make them look great.  :)

regards

Tyrone