IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Satakentia liukiuensis fast growing

Scott W

On 10/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, Looking Glass said:

I got these bean poles back in March 2021.  They were grown in deep canopy shade, packed in tight with 20+ of their brethren in pots.  They were about 9 feet tall with their big “shade leaves”….3D8F2D41-34E9-4649-A6BC-98BD4006E492.thumb.jpeg.6f629880ec39d18b16dae791d33d0c5f.jpeg….

At the one-year point, mine are still doing well.  They put out a couple leaves over winter, but they didn’t really enjoy this year’s cold spells.  Temps in the low 50s and high 40s a few times, seemed to bronze and yellow some leaves minorly.   Their broomstick necks seemed to double or triple in girth over a year.  I continued to water pretty aggressively over winter - but not daily in the cooler weather, with the goal of keeping the ground moist to wet around them.  The weeds and grass responded by swamping the mulch.  Will yank out the grass and weeds and remulch a bed this week…. It was a busy winter.   

0D5B1CD2-24F4-418E-9A86-587FAC629B11.thumb.jpeg.36f79b5a4e382f8ffb1c2c5a04bbf381.jpeg

B25D73E7-C129-4501-8F3E-B020701137D4.thumb.jpeg.247f5a49d39804ea518ceb17b846b58a.jpeg

15 hours ago, Midnight Gardener said:

@Scott W I just picked up 3 from MB palms at the Leu Gardens plant sale, along with a KO. Good to see that growth rate on yours. I’m hoping mine are the same. Just need to find the right spot to plant them. 

I’d predict @Midnight Gardener that your’s will double in hight, with good watering and fertilizing, by late fall.  Dappled, filtered sunlight would be best at that small size.  Too much sun and they will fry.  Keep an eye on them as the sun shifts.  

Some useful information on these….

http://www.palmbeachpalmcycadsociety.com/palms/documents/SatakentiaLiukiuensis.pdf

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 4

Here is mine, planted in 2013 in full sun right by a lake in South Florida. The palm has grown fast and now is as beautiful as ever showing full color and about 20' tall.

Satikentia 2021.jpg

Satakentia 2013.jpg

Satikentia 2022 #2.jpg

Satikentia 2022.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, EPaul said:

@Little Tex I believe Houston can get severe cold fronts, with temps below 25 degrees, that would easily kill this palm.

Occasionally. But That doesn't stop the mass planting of Foxtails, So it should be ok because Cold fronts aren't below freezing usually.  And not often. People even plant the Alexander kings.  If its not I'll Just plant one in the Valley.

Lucas

17 hours ago, Midnight Gardener said:

@Scott W I just picked up 3 from MB palms at the Leu Gardens plant sale, along with a KO. Good to see that growth rate on yours. I’m hoping mine are the same. Just need to find the right spot to plant them. 

B0294A9F-BDE0-4142-9DD9-B31BC565496F.jpeg

I grabbed one of those myself. Shopping in the middle of a thunderstorm was fun :-) Cant wait to find a spot for it! Good luck with yours!

0B189C52-8570-48C0-A78E-246B81468FC8.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Do you think one of these would do okay in Houston? Coldest this year was 35

If you find one for a price you like and are either willing to protect it when needed or to potentially lose the plant during any less than easy winter, I say go for it.  Palms die even in the tropics.  Just maybe not due to cold weather. A Carpentaria survived for nearly 20 years in Galveston.  

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

14 minutes ago, Austinpalm said:

If you find one for a price you like and are either willing to protect it when needed or to potentially lose the plant during any less than easy winter, I say go for it.  Palms die even in the tropics.  Just maybe not due to cold weather. A Carpentaria survived for nearly 20 years in Galveston.  

FB_IMG_1646157731507.jpg.df40eb9dd08469df52ceeff18e183a73.jpg

This one? I thought it was a king. 

(Photo Credit: @Xenon)

Lucas

carpentaria.jpg.1e1bdc4eaf0242a83d2648506868451d.jpg

Edited by Austinpalm
  • Like 2

Clay

8 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

Copied from one of Xenon's postings.

ZE

Clay

@Little Tex @Austinpalm 

Yes, a collector in Galveston once had a Satakentia on the verge of forming trunk (pic lost in an old thread somewhere) 2010 freeze probably killed it. It's doable as a zone push, would need protection on 2-10 nights (depending where in Houston) in an average year 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 5/13/2008 at 6:11 PM, Kathryn said:

Someone sent me pictures of this beautiful Bismarckia nobilis beginning to bloom for the first time and I just had to share them. It was planted from a 3 gallon container around 1993 in Galveston, which is a small island off the coast of Texas about 50 miles southeast of Houston. The sender stated that he rarely gets frost or below the upper 20’s (-2ºC).

post-158-1210720245_thumb.jpg

Found the thread, it actually had some trunk! 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

14 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Those look very nice but also shade grown. Be careful if you are planting them in a sunny area. How was the show? We were going to go Saturday morning but a line of thunderstorms was heading right for the area.

For sure - I’m going to try to slowly acclimate them to full sun before planting. They are under live oak canopy right now.  The show was awesome - lots of great vendors. Bought some bromeliads and citrus trees too!  We got there early at 8am and were able to look around until 9:30 and then the rain just came down hard.

12 hours ago, EPaul said:

@Midnight Gardener Hope you don't mind me asking, but how much were they charging for the Satake Palms?  Also, I haven't been to Leu Gardens yet, do they have a shop year round or was that a limited-time event you went to?

@EPaul $50 each. It’s a limited time event - just one weekend a year. It’s a good way to meet growers and learn about nurseries in the area.  They don’t have a shop on site unfortunately. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

At the one-year point, mine are still doing well.  They put out a couple leaves over winter, but they didn’t really enjoy this year’s cold spells.  Temps in the low 50s and high 40s a few times, seemed to bronze and yellow some leaves minorly.   Their broomstick necks seemed to double or triple in girth over a year.  I continued to water pretty aggressively over winter - but not daily in the cooler weather, with the goal of keeping the ground moist to wet around them.  The weeds and grass responded by swamping the mulch.  Will yank out the grass and weeds and remulch a bed this week…. It was a busy winter.   

0D5B1CD2-24F4-418E-9A86-587FAC629B11.thumb.jpeg.36f79b5a4e382f8ffb1c2c5a04bbf381.jpeg

B25D73E7-C129-4501-8F3E-B020701137D4.thumb.jpeg.247f5a49d39804ea518ceb17b846b58a.jpeg

I’d predict @Midnight Gardener that your’s will double in hight, with good watering and fertilizing, by late fall.  Dappled, filtered sunlight would be best at that small size.  Too much sun and they will fry.  Keep an eye on them as the sun shifts.  

http://www.palmbeachpalmcycadsociety.com/palms/documents/SatakentiaLiukiuensis.pdf

Thanks @Looking Glass. I hope so!  I have a spot that might work for them instead of full sun. It gets gentle morning sun and filtered light under an oak tree for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midnight Gardener said:

Thanks @Looking Glass. I hope so!  I have a spot that might work for them instead of full sun. It gets gentle morning sun and filtered light under an oak tree for the rest of the day.

You could always grow them up a little bigger in pots, then put them wherever in another year or so.  My two out front were 7 gallon? I think, when at got them.  But about 9 feet tall grown in the shade.  They survived full all day sun with a lot of TLC and mostly daily hand watering, but took a beating at first.  They still get a little pale in that spot at times.  

I also got two 3 gallons, much like the size of yours, last summer.  They didn’t respond well to part day direct sun.  They did much better in protected, dappled light and some low angle morning and evening sun, getting dark green with that type of exposure, but still gaining size fast.  Still in pots, stuck under a tree.  Will up-pot to 7 gallon soon.  Then to the ground after that.   

• Like 1

I would plant these under canopy in orlando area.  These palms are susceptible to frost out in the open.  This year we only hit 34F with frost, one with no overhead and one with overhead canopy.  Frost was not evident in my yard but damage to tips of leaves was evident on satakentia that had no direct overhead.  These palms can probably tolerate 28-30F or so before leaf burn, but frost is another dynamic.  My frost burned one has two unopened spears that were undamaged and one you can see is opening now, so I expect a relatively quick recovery.  The nearby archontophoenix myolensis(leaf to the right) was not burned though its a bit taller(5-7') and 7' closer to the house with no overhead as well.  So in 9b/10a Id put it in a frost free position if you don't want burn.

.440480489_IMG_8607(2).thumb.JPG.1597bafa263a864d75bf96baee836617.JPG1910084695_IMG_8523(2).thumb.JPG.00ad85e24b0f2783b960beed65842b8e.JPG

• Like 4

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Here’s one next door to Dent Smiths old property in Daytona Beach on beachside in a very warm area. 

6B6B0FB3-432A-47C5-B641-9DE6403EE1ED.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks for all the info and growing experiences, good photos too. 

Thought I’d add a few more to the pile. Been in the ground awhile and thought over the years they’d develop that spectacular purple crown shaft that I’ve seen on some specimens. No complaints, it’s a nice elegant palm with a smooth clean trunk and straight as an arrow. What’s also nice is falling fronds don’t weigh a ton and are easy to turn into mulch. 

Tim

7D9781B1-14C0-4AB5-B260-6C17BDE052C7.jpeg

D23022D2-309E-47F6-AAE8-F485B4A5FEA5.jpeg

A6CF9891-7709-43E6-800E-373AB07D929D.jpeg

76035091-4EC6-4051-A3E5-193A03B4BE12.jpeg

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Most recent pic, has a nice new fat spear about to open up.  Gets full Florida sun in this spot from mid-day until sunset.

PXL_20220325_193850335.jpg

• Like 3

I want to try this palm here. I think it would do good in a high 9B+ area. Like just about all crown shafted palms, they aren’t going to like frost/frozen dew on their fronds. Ultimately, for my area, it’s tolerance to my soil and the soils microbes would be more important than cold tolerance. Hurricanes shouldn’t be too much of a problem, they have plenty of them there.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone - I could use a some advice. I planted the satakentias a few months ago under a laurel oak tree. This morning, I noticed that one of them is not looking great.  The leaves are browning, especially the new growth. See the pictures - can anyone help me diagnose this? Is this fungus or crown rot?  Or is it too much sun?  This one gets 3 to 4 hours of direct morning sun, while the other one close by (see the last pic) which is getting a bit more filtered sun. However, it has been looking very healthy up until today. We’ve been getting a lot of rain this last week in Orlando so maybe that is causing a fungal infection?  I just sprayed with copper fungicide in case. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! 

32CFA5DB-9C0F-4E99-9E9D-DC5E0975658E.jpeg

64415750-B502-488A-8B0D-00F0F9C6D574.jpeg

5BF401CC-339A-4E64-B8E6-8086438CF7B4.jpeg

F7BC2CDF-0DB9-44DB-9B5D-383659384BDF.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Carpentaria  acuminata

• Upvote 1

Clay

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately this palm did not survive the 25F lows we had December 25th and 26th, 2022... 

I have a few Dypsis and Caryota growing in pots to satisfy my marginal / non marginal palm desire.  Aside from that I'm focusing more on Butia and Syagrus as well as hybrid varieties that will survive my area.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 9:31 AM, Midnight Gardener said:

Hey everyone - I could use a some advice. I planted the satakentias a few months ago under a laurel oak tree. This morning, I noticed that one of them is not looking great.  The leaves are browning, especially the new growth. See the pictures - can anyone help me diagnose this? Is this fungus or crown rot?  Or is it too much sun?  This one gets 3 to 4 hours of direct morning sun, while the other one close by (see the last pic) which is getting a bit more filtered sun. However, it has been looking very healthy up until today. We’ve been getting a lot of rain this last week in Orlando so maybe that is causing a fungal infection?  I just sprayed with copper fungicide in case. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Looks like it is rotting.  Almost a year later, did it survive?

24 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Unfortunately this palm did not survive the 25F lows we had December 25th and 26th, 2022... 

Unfortunate news. We know roughly where the cutoff is for these now.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 9/1/2023 at 6:02 PM, kinzyjr said:

Looks like it is rotting.  Almost a year later, did it survive?

Unfortunate news. We know roughly where the cutoff is for these now.

No. It didn’t make it. Unfortunately two out of the three died. However the one that survived is doing really well now with dark green foliage and growth really starting to accelerate.  The new spear in this photo is easily 6 feet long. Satakentia really start to take off once they get established!

13F35742-E563-4A4A-90DB-637C7618AA12.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

This guy struggled at first but is now growing fast in heavy clay in my tropical climate.    Gets sun all afternoon. Was a strap seedling a year ago 

IMG_8448.jpeg

• Like 5

On 3/24/2022 at 1:03 PM, Looking Glass said:

Mine continue to grow decently, but there is something about even our mild winters, that they don’t seem to enjoy.  These are kind of finicky for me at times.  

6F592C43-7130-4AE0-9093-70FC92F0FA0F.thumb.jpeg.1e27f2a5982c44ba3116b5910d92cf1b.jpeg

• Like 4