IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Luce yes areca

Zoltan

I see some people say Dypsis Lucentes usda zone 10 and up.I disasagree with that at least here in Florida.

In St Augustine by Aligator farm entrance you can see many of them.I talked to the zoo and they told me they planted them maybe 15 yrs ago as 5-7 gallons by now they are tall maybe 12 feet or more.You can see them from A1A. But also you see some in downtown around the belive or not.This is usda zone 9a .But if this is not enough,I live in Jacksonville at oceanway which is east of 95 ,we have on Pulaski rd zip code 32218 by church for minimum 10 yrs  about 10 -12 feet tall. planted right by entrance the wall.  And if this is still not enough at Jacksonville Airport at Hilton has at pool backside of the building w/o any protection beside it planted right by the building.So I think if you place it on sunny side and close to building it can tolarete all the way to Jacksonville. I don’t have any idea about 8b zone like west of Nort Florida or Ga …Also I know a person listed close to Jacksonville airport she planted a Dypsis decaying “ triangle palm “ back in 1990 right by her house.It’s made it eversince and it’s way taller than her house.She protected at beginning heat pad etc .She has some photo at palmtalk . I have 2 of them I never heated them ,but covered however I can’t cover anymore they are out of reach .Over 12 feet or so.I got them from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago.Even leaves get touched they come back nicely.Mine not planted by house but by fence and it get early sun till late afternoon sun…

BB6EFFD2-0A20-49CD-AAB9-CD8406347362.jpeg

• Like 2

I think the zone 10 and up is in reference to that zone 9 can and will at some point get too cold for Dypsis lutescens. One can grow in Jacks and they sell it up here on Amelia Island but Liberty Landscape points out they are not warrantied and will likely die back at some point. They will regrow again if it’s mulched well  but that kind of sucks they die on you.

Edited by KDubU
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I would like to try Arecas in my backyard. I live in Nocatee and the pool faces dead south. I have the standard 6' vinyl fence and the area is close to the patio. It cooks my birds of paradise during the Summer. 
Think it's worth a try?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P. Hightower said:

I would like to try Arecas in my backyard. I live in Nocatee and the pool faces dead south. I have the standard 6' vinyl fence and the area is close to the patio. It cooks my birds of paradise during the Summer. 
Think it's worth a try?

I say give it a go but like I responded previously, if you get a bad cold snap then they’ll burn. Being close to a pool with concrete or pavers may help and getting early morning sun to help warm up quickly after a cold night. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dypsis lutescens survives for many years in warmer parts of Houston. I knew of a clump over 15 years old that always returned even after an occasional hard freeze. I don't know if it survived last year's freeze. 

Houston once had 10-15 year old royals, foxtails, Dypsis decaryi, etc and now after last year's freeze we hardly have any queens LOL. Just takes one Arctic blast...

And no I haven't learned anything because I planted a ton of crownshaft stuff a few months after 12F. Enjoy it while it lasts! 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

There is a Person in Ponte Vedra beach and he has many palms which not usual in northern Fl araes. But he has tall king palms talking about way taller than homes. And many other like baronii .. Some he plant under canopy under oak tree etc if you don’t have well on those days when it chilly just protect it.enjoy till you can. So far in I didn’t loose any plant for years . 

Last summer in Jacksonviile at earth work nursery I think it’s on Bch Blvd they had tall leaking about 20 plus feet tall dypsis lucentes for $399 plus installation and delivery so for all together $ 700. I was told this plant can pull trough zone 9 especially as they older they have some more cold to Tolarence. Another thing I was told due this palm a cluster multi trunk type it has better chance to survive as single trunk. They kinda help to protect eachother and some steam even in super cold will pull trough. It’s a natural control…..really this type of palm like a large bamboo. So I don’t think it’s that bad as sometimes weather control it’s size… many ppl on south actually complain on YouTube that they have to cut back this trim them due they multiple by all the seeds . So we may don’t have to do that nature take care of it.So far my pembanas doing well passing the fence :-) I was told it has same  cold tolarence as lucentes. :-)

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:24 AM, KDubU said:

I think the zone 10 and up is in reference to that zone 9 can and will at some point get too cold for Dypsis lutescens. One can grow in Jacks and they sell it up here on Amelia Island but Liberty Landscape points out they are not warrantied and will likely die back at some point. They will regrow again if it’s mulched well  but that kind of sucks they die on you.

Last year earth work on beach Blvd sold them over 20 feets for $399 plus delivery and installation….as they older they have more cold tolerance… they pull trough… I don’t have lucentes but pembanas and they growing well.I was told they are same hardy….

@Zoltan I agree Dypsis lutescens is a great palm to use as an indicator plant.  If it does get whacked by an unusually cold winter, it usually come back pretty fast once the temperatures warm up.  Around my area, you can tell the areas that tend to get more frequent cold because these tend to stay below 10ft.  In the more favorable microclimates here, you'll see them growing up over houses.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there 

I got some Radicalis palm due I heard that they have some good cold tolarence. So anyhow there was some reg and hybrids but they didn’t know it was crossed with what other plant..I have some pics here.they are like 5-6 tall strong bamboo trunks and kinda fine nice leaves. I just wonder if you seen things like this any if you have idea what would be the cold tolarence on these.thx

image.jpg

image.jpg