IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea linearis 'Choco Giant'

Darold Petty

This seed lot came through RPS after the IPS Biennial in Colombia.  I installed 7 plants in a tight grove.  2 were killed by disease, and 2 were killed by our new rescue dog we recently adopted from the shelter.

Does anyone have spare plants of this palm ??  I have 3 remaining, but would prefer to have at least 2 more.  I will pay serious money if you could sell a few to me,  Thanks !

PS  I will be as far south as Thousand Oaks, CA on the week-end of Oct. 18th if shipping would be problematic.

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/chamaedorea-linearis-choco-giant?search=Chamaedorea linearis

San Francisco, California

I mis-spoke the date, I will be in SoCal Oct. 16, 17, and 18, ...and can stay longer if necessary to procure a plant.

Darold, I have in a 15gal pot that is pretty large. and possibly a few in 5gal pots, I can double check today or tomorrow. And let you know. Ron 9492356187

On 10/9/2021 at 10:03 AM, neoflora said:

Darold, I have in a 15gal pot that is pretty large. and possibly a few in 5gal pots, I can double check today or tomorrow. And let you know. Ron 9492356187

can we see pics of these =) 

T J 

T J 

• 2 weeks later...

We have a happy ending, and I don't mean at the massage parlor !   :mrlooney:

My friend, Daxin gifted me a 5 gallon plant, and Neoflora (Ron Lawyer) sold me a few 5-gallons, so my grove population is restored.  Thanks to all for reading ! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two images of my new palms. 

The palm in the orange pot was a gift from Daxin, who attended the May, 2018 Biennial in Colombia and returned with his seeds directly.  The black pot was from Ron Lawyer, from RPS seed.    It is curious that Ron's seed would go from Colombia to Berlin to California yet show such tremendous growth in just 3.5 years.  Ron must be an amazing grower and San Clemente must have an awesome microclimate !  :winkie:

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was visiting with Darold this weekend and was able to hear of this story and see these palms in person. In person they clearly are different forms. I have no knowledge of the seed sources or growers but I would agree with Darold's assessment about San Clemente. Or, it is more probable that they are not the same subspecies.

• Like 1

Thom -- San Francisco, CA -- Eastern Slope of Twin Peaks

• 3 weeks later...

The one on Right looks amazing.   Whatever it is.  

im currently looking for Linearis myself.    But I’d gladly put that one on right in my yard.