Rp11

Kentia palm dying

Rp11

Hey,

I got my kentia palm 2 months ago. I have been watering it once a week. Recently I fell down and I added some more soil and watered it but this time the soil got soggy. And after one week it is still very wet and soggy. 

If it's a situation of over watering, help me with the solutions. 

IMG_20210928_111437.jpg

IMG_20210928_111445.jpg

IMG_20210928_111448.jpg

Palmlover_78

Too much water , it might need root surgery. Take the Palm out of the pot. look for mushy discolored smelly roots. With a VERY sharp straight edge knife DO NOT SAW, cut roots off using a downward motion, removing all affected roots. Sterilize the pot with  Vinegar and Water rinse pot thoroughly,  use fresh soil none of the original replant the palm cut dying fronds and pull dying or dead spears . Water it making sure it drains very well.  No fertilizer put the plant in a shadier corner for a week or two. Put it back in original spot..

Good Luck :D

Edited by Palmlover_78

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Centraltxpalm
      By Centraltxpalm
      I was wondering why desert palms arent grown indoors more often. It seems a common problem with indoor palms is low humidity. But all that I can think of come from wet environments. Could a brahea or washingtonia do well indoors. Well not exactly a desert palm, they are related to one, the pygmy date is probably the closest and they seem to do well indoors. Perhaps the thorns or light issues are why.
    • elsi
      By elsi
      I bought Kentia palm in 22cm pot (the photo in a box).  I repotted the Kentia into 33cm pot  as the original pot was broken.
      I haven't touch much the root and kept the surrounding old soil.  Only put new soil around it. 
      I used Plant mix (Kings House Plant Mix - 10l | Compost and Mixes | Kings)   about 8 litre.  
      It has been only one day since repotting.  
      I am a bit scared if I used too big pot.  It seems like more pale and yellowish leaves with wet top soil.
      How long should I wait to see if the top soil and deep soil dry? 
      Should I leave it outside (under the sun with roof) to dry or bring the plant inside? I will use indoor 43cm cache-pot.
      And why some leaves are wide and crumpled? 
      Should I take the small dry branch at the bottom off? why is it dry? (When I bought this Kentia,  this dry leave were there)
      Thanks to help this complete beginner.

• Dadocreate
      By Dadocreate
      Hi there, I own a Kentia palm (2 stems actually) which I found in a bin a few years ago and is growing back well. 
      I want to ask you guys for advice about the position they are currently growing, which is a bit inconvenient to place in my house.
      As you can see from the images they are kind of V shape positioned so the foliages are spreading horizontally more then vertically. I know that Kentia are particularly sensible about repotting and messing with roots in general so my questions are:   Do you think it possible to split and reposition them in a more vertical manner? If possible, can you advise me how to deal with the roots and the process? If it is not a feasible option could you suggest me a technique to "direct" the stems?   Thank you very much in advance for your help,

• EvanM
      By EvanM
      Hi y’all, new to Palmtalk, currently have a Phoenix roebelenii and a Chamaerops humilis in outdoor pots at home (zone 8a, the Phoenix is garaged during winter nights). I’m looking to add a (low-maintenance) office palm to the mix. Office situation is as follows:
      - One large, east facing window (whose blinds I keep closed, so it’s rather dark).
      - AC is run at night during the summer, turned off during the day. I don’t run the heat in the winter, but my coworkers run theirs, so my office stays above 60 or so.
      Is there anything meeting these criteria? If not, what do I need to change? I’ve heard Chamaedorea elegans is pretty rugged, would that be a good plant to start with for the office?
    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      I’ve been looking through everyone’s pics of their indoor palms. I’ve got some houseplants but we’re talking crassulas, dracena, pothos, some cactus. I’m clueless when it comes to the indoor palm game. What are some suggestions if I were to get a palm or 3?