IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea seeds identification

Kauri

Hi 

I recently bought a Parajubaea but the seller didn't know the species. He sent me a picture of the seeds. So can somebody tell what it is or are the seeds more or less the same.  I lean to P. cocoides but I'm far from an expert.

Thanks

Tom

Parajubaea.jpg

Looks like cocoides or possibly sunkha. Not torallyi though. I think cocoides. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks for that

So I will take it as a cocoides. Maybe I will know more when the palm grows bigger.

Tyrone is someone that I read each of his postings, great palm resource.  I collected seeds that had fallen to the ground from the 2 most photographed  Parajubea's at Ventura College.  These have become neglected over the last few years with NO WATERING.  The grass in previous photos is now dirt.  The P. Torallyi on the left of photos had no embryo's in any of those seeds, I did not do anything with them.  I did not take a photo of the dried fruit on the P. Cocoides which made these much larger, but I am attaching a photo of shells that I delicately used a "dremel / radial cutter" on to remove the embryo.  I did not show many of the outside of these seeds, but a couple look just like yours.  The embryo's were soaked for about 1 week and I saw the beginning of germination coming from the pointed area.  Since sowing these in 50-50% peat moss/perlite and keeping them moist in the coolest area outside, nothing has happened in 6 months.  I agree with Tyrone that these appear to be P. Cocoides.

1562560911_P.cocoshells.thumb.JPG.4c18c42b9df655ec47ac4698d2aebbd3.JPG

2028263501_P.cocogerm.thumb.JPG.4fbdcb5ed90caa09590fac8199dcf1f5.JPG

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

On 10/2/2021 at 11:51 PM, TheMadScientist said:

Tyrone is someone that I read each of his postings, great palm resource.  I collected seeds that had fallen to the ground from the 2 most photographed  Parajubea's at Ventura College.  These have become neglected over the last few years with NO WATERING.  The grass in previous photos is now dirt.  The P. Torallyi on the left of photos had no embryo's in any of those seeds, I did not do anything with them.  I did not take a photo of the dried fruit on the P. Cocoides which made these much larger, but I am attaching a photo of shells that I delicately used a "dremel / radial cutter" on to remove the embryo.  I did not show many of the outside of these seeds, but a couple look just like yours.  The embryo's were soaked for about 1 week and I saw the beginning of germination coming from the pointed area.  Since sowing these in 50-50% peat moss/perlite and keeping them moist in the coolest area outside, nothing has happened in 6 months.  I agree with Tyrone that these appear to be P. Cocoides.

1562560911_P.cocoshells.thumb.JPG.4c18c42b9df655ec47ac4698d2aebbd3.JPG

2028263501_P.cocogerm.thumb.JPG.4fbdcb5ed90caa09590fac8199dcf1f5.JPG

I hope they eventually germinate for you. You went to a lot of work to extract them. From my experience P cocoides has a smoother smaller seed than torralyi which is larger with large grooves that are quite distinctive. 

Ive never been able to germinate this genus in large numbers. I remember the best success i had was to bury them half way down with the embryo below ground in a community pot of mostly perlite and i left them in a place that got some direct sun then later shade. I would also water the perlite mix thoroughly but let it dry out between waterings. A bit like germinating cycads. After a few months youd get activity and youd pot up those ones individually once they germinate. This could go on for around 3 years. The hardest to germinate was P torralyi var microcarpa. One seedling out of 100 seed but its doing fine. After about two years none came up so I changed my method. I soaked all the seed again then put them in pure perlite on their sides in a clear plastic storage container in a tin shed on a shelf. After a couple of months one came up. One day im hoping to get mine to produce seed and can try fresh seed. Maybe that will make a difference to germination rates. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

The hardest to germinate was P torralyi var microcarpa. 

I guess that explains why none of mine have germinated so far.

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, Tyrone said:

The hardest to germinate was P torralyi var microcarpa. One seedling out of 100 seed but its doing fine. 

I can serve as another data point to their difficulty.  I've got 2 out of 30.  Most of the others have rotted in the shell.