IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Daughter’s Bismarckia

xoRudy

Hello ladies and gents, 

On September 27th, 2020 my third child was born. On that exact day I also planted a Bismarckia In my front yard. This was not planned at all, my wife was having some contractions throughout the previous night and some in the morning but nothing too serious. That morning I planned on doing some planting and followed through with the plans. Right after the Bismarckia was in, my wife told me it was time to go to the hospital (Barley even had time to take a picture and water the palm). Long story short, here we are a year later, God willing, and I decided that it’s only right to take a picture each year to see both of their growths. This Bismarckia is now my daughters palm.

Sep 27, 2020 (Top Pic)

Sep 27, 2021 (Bottom Pic)

9402D64A-4B68-4EA7-959A-DBD5401F3125.jpeg

B2BD94DE-6728-4318-9D09-AAB63294751E.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

I’ve never seen one grow that fast better quite watering and fertilizing it or it will be too big to enjoy 

Seriously? I have 4 Bismarckias on my property and they all got really big after a year being in the ground. I’m loving the growth rate of them, I thought this was normal.

1 hour ago, xoRudy said:

Seriously? I have 4 Bismarckias on my property and they all got really big after a year being in the ground. I’m loving the growth rate of them, I thought this was normal.

They’re fantastically beautiful palms at all stages. I personally will be overjoyed when my Bismarckia’s canopy is overhead. At 20 feet tall, lower fronds are still at face level. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I agree unbelievably beautiful palm absolutely my favorite that I grow in Phoenix but mine have taken 15years to reach this size at night with the lights on them spectacular.

E3F8DA7D-6925-482F-B5D0-810B4641E373.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, 96720 said:

I agree unbelievably beautiful palm absolutely my favorite that I grow in Phoenix but mine have taken 15years to reach this size at night with the lights on them spectacular.

E3F8DA7D-6925-482F-B5D0-810B4641E373.jpeg

How small were they when you planted them? 

I’m old and don’t remember if they were 1gal or 5 gal but I just about never plant anything bigger than a 5, sometimes I have to break down and plant something larger very rare and only if I can’t find a 1 gal those are my favorites but usually you can’t find hybrids in anything less than a 15.

• Like 1