IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Chambeyronia species!

ellidro

Has anyone received their IPS Palm Journal Volume 63?  It states Chambeyronia houliou was an undescribed species, not a variation of macrocarpa and will now be called Chambeyronia houailouensis. Additionally it appears Kentiopsis and Actinokentia will be lumped into the Chambeyronia genus. Changes as follows:

Actinokentia divaricata > Chambeyronia divarcata

Actinokentia huerlimannii > Chambeyronia huerlimannii

Kentiopsis piersoniorum > Chambeyronia piersoniorum

Kentiopsis oliviformis > Chambeyronia oliviformis

Kentiopsis pyroformis > Chambeyronia pyroformis

Kentiopsis magnifica > Chambeyronia magnifica

Chambeyronia lepidota remains unchanged

Thoughts? Going to be very hard for me to get used to this!

• Like 8
  • Upvote 7

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Yeah me too

Old, set in my ways

Red shoes or nothing 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The molecular data are really clear and the paper provides all the scholarly documentation.  It speaks well of what can sometimes be done by studying cultivated specimens.  Note the determination that the name Chambeyronia was published months earlier than Kentiopsis, so has priority in the nomenclatural system.  

I get to inform my neighbor (who I persuaded to accept a gift palm) that their thriving specimen is now Chambeyronia oliviformis.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I think we all heard grumblings this may happen. Chambeyronia Pyroformis just doesn’t roll off the tongue. Guess I’m gonna have to get use to it. My Chambeyronia Arsenal just got larger. 

-dale

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dave-Vero said:

The molecular data are really clear and the paper provides all the scholarly documentation.  It speaks well of what can sometimes be done by studying cultivated specimens.  Note the determination that the name Chambeyronia was published months earlier than Kentiopsis, so has priority in the nomenclatural system.  

~ makes notes ~ Yep, that's Taxonomy for ya.. Can't dismiss what carefully analyzing DNA turns up.   Imo, compared to similar re-examination of plants within various genera / families,  this seems to be a pretty smooth transition.   Guarantee, changes made ( and those still being assessed / proposed ) just among Cacti  and/ or  Agave are even more complex / head -scratchers at times.  " Lively " discussions there can be almost as bad as when Acacia were broken up and shuffled around into various other Genera. 

As someone recently expressed while having a similar discussion, " Get used to it. This will continue w/ a lot more things we assumed were already worked out as on going, detailed DNA analysis of -everything- continues ".

• Upvote 2

When I first became a palm enthusiast I remember hearing (reading about) people having difficulty with these type of genus changes. Now that I have been an enthusiast for many years now this is one that’s going to be difficult for me.

• Like 1

the all too frequent changing of palm species names smears the practical identification process for the hobbyist.  The unfortunate fact of the internet is that those older names tend to stick around for a long time.  At one point, I recall they wanted to lump all the Caribbean sabals as sabal palmetto.  I hope genetics someday replaces or at least stabilizes taxonomic identification of palm species.    

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I remember, a long long time ago, when they consolidated all of the Dypsis into one genus, when, before there'd been Dypsis, Neodypsis, Vonitra, and a whole flock more. At least Dypsis fits on a license plate . . .

I think, too, that the gene review will also show what species really are separate and what are closely related variants of the same thing. For example, I've often wondered about D. oniliahensis Droopy and not droopy.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

19 hours ago, ellidro said:

Thoughts? Going to be very hard for me to get used to this!

The little name tags my son's bought for me are going to need updating.  Given that all these are now under the Chambeyronia genus based on genetic information, does that mean that they can hybridize?  Could my Chambeyronia kentiopsis and nearby houailouensis potentially someday yield strange hybrid seedlings?  None of mine are producing flowers yet, although I suspect one of the K.... no C kentiopsis is getting close to the right size.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

21 hours ago, ellidro said:

Chambeyronia lepidota remains unchanged

7 minutes ago, richnorm said:

Did they consider splitting the two Chambeyronia lepidota forms?

Wow,  K. magnifica and oliviformis, have totally  different  seed than the Chambeyronia macrocarpa. 

So now I have 3 Chambeyronia piersoniorum. I can get used to that.  I like knowing the historical as well as the "new" names. I used to kind of smirk at people who used names like "Chrysolidocarpus lutescens." No more.... 

• Like 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Splitters vs Lumpers.....

• Like 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

The little name tags my son's bought for me are going to need updating.  Given that all these are now under the Chambeyronia genus based on genetic information, does that mean that they can hybridize?  Could my Chambeyronia kentiopsis and nearby houailouensis potentially someday yield strange hybrid seedlings?  None of mine are producing flowers yet, although I suspect one of the K.... no C kentiopsis is getting close to the right size.

I was thinking the same thing….  You could be the first distributor of the “Flaming Olive Lady” or the “Molotov Greek Salad” or something like that!  We’ll make billions, I tell ya!   

• Like 1

Fascinating! I will now be looking at my C. divaricata a bit differently on trips through the garden. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

Put me down for one Tracy. :D

On 9/30/2021 at 6:29 PM, Jeff Searle said:

Splitters vs Lumpers.....

Goes beyond that. Now with DNA, it's what ever a test shows, not what the eye or experience tells. I think we are jumping the gun on DNA. It should be one tool, not the end-all. Also, separate thing, but I do not believe the botanical world should ever allow naming without it being peer reviewed. We are seeing decades of research being thrown out the door based off early DNA results. Many make no sense what so ever. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

If these are only partial genome reads there could be "lumping" of genetics.  I work with geneticists who use DNA reads for (I cant say), the read depth can cause "lumping" if inadequate, plus the risk of not measuring all critical parts of the genome for clean ID.  The different size seeds, morphology etc are all encoded in the genes.  Failure to read the right gene segments or not use enough read depth in an ID could cause lot of "lumping" of modestly similar genetics.   You cannot discount the morphology differences, they are genetic, no doubt. If they are being read someone had decided they are not significant, a tough job.  The question is are they reading all the relevant segments.  Apes and humans differ by ~2% of DNA sequence, palms will have similar redundancies, perhaps even higher.  It might be the science here still needs to get worked out.  All great science is bourne of failure experiences.  I will call kentiopis "kentiopsis" for a while longer I think.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Tom Blank

Hmm.

Bear in mind that many classifications of palms were by botanists in "ivory towers" working off dried dead specimens, some of which might have been collected even a century or two earlier. That would seem flawed in and of itself. Parts can crumble and be lost, or have been omitted entirely from the original collection.

I'd be a lot more inclined to view relationships based on genomic material in a positive light, though the usual scientific rigor should be applied, in particular analyses by different persons with the same results. Or a way of accounting for differing ones.

In any case, sending Dr. Dransfield and Jeff Marcus down to Madagascar was a good idea. Each has vital, if different knowledge to bring to the subject. Jeff knows what the babies and the seeds look like in life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LJG said:

Goes beyond that. Now with DNA, it's what ever a test shows, not what the eye or experience tells. I think we are jumping the gun on DNA. It should be one tool, not the end-all. Also, I do not believe the botanical world should ever allow naming without it being pier reviewed. We are seeing decades of research being thrown out the door based off DNA results. Many make no sense what so ever. 

Which genetic analyses/results make no sense?

3 hours ago, LJG said:

I do not believe the botanical world should ever allow naming without it being pier reviewed.

3 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

If these are only partial genome reads there could be "lumping" of genetics.  I work with geneticists who use DNA reads for (I cant say), the read depth can cause "lumping" if inadequate, plus the risk of not measuring all critical parts of the genome for clean ID.  The different size seeds, morphology etc are all encoded in the genes.  Failure to read the right gene segments or not use enough read depth in an ID could cause lot of "lumping" of modestly similar genetics.   You cannot discount the morphology differences, they are genetic, no doubt. If they are being read someone had decided they are not significant, a tough job.  The question is are they reading all the relevant segments.  Apes and humans differ by ~2% of DNA sequence, palms will have similar redundancies, perhaps even higher.  It might be the science here still needs to get worked out.  All great science is bourne of failure experiences.  I will call kentiopis "kentiopsis" for a while longer I think.

Both of you raise the important questions regarding whether the work has been vetted by peers and how thorough it is.  I guess we will have to see how the work stands up over time and as peers in the field review the work or try to either expand upon it and repeat the work, the essence of the scientific process.  Maybe I'll wait a few years to place an order for the replacement cards that go into the name holders.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, Tracy said:

Probably not, they occur together in the wild and I don’t think hybrids are known 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just renaming too.

What are we calling the flamethrower how? Is it still a var.?

Or macrocarpa or just hookeri ?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

DNA sequence "matches" you hear about in crime ID typically involve a tiny fraction of the human genome due to the huge costs of reading and analyzing the whole genome.  When you are identifying an individual, all sequence data over the whole genome matches exactly, so selection of a small fraction of genome sequence for a match is much easier, and you get those ten million to 1 odds.   Assessing familial closeness within a family and relative to other families is a much tougher task, and no you don't get odds as there are no direct matches.  If the scientist has to limit cost of sequencing by using a small fraction of the DNA, it may not be good enough to avoid "lumping" in the familial clustering analysis.  I have performed this analysis with fractional DNA sequencing information knowing the answer, fractional DNA coverage success depends on where you choose to measure on the genome and how big a fraction you use($).  Then there is the number of reads or the read depth that is important to reduce noise.  If you don't take enough reads or select the less than ideal segments you get noisy data and that can lead to lumping.  Starting with a known answer allows you to see these issues clearly, as you have "truth" and then look at what DNA sequence says.     And just because an article is peer reviewed doesn't mean it won't be found incorrect later, science evolves.  Peer review is just a needed safeguard, its not a guarantee of truth.  WIthout peer review, we would have the internet where so much is incorrectly assumed to be true.  I am patient with this process, all new science requires patience, not expectations of absolutes.  In 10 years they will know so much more than now, this is a start.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

Sorry, I misplaced my IPS Palm Journal Volume 63,  @ellidro

What are they calling the Chambeyronia macrocarpa hookeri now?

Is it still a var.  or has the macrocarpa part been dispensed with?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, Billeb said:

I think we all heard grumblings this may happen. Chambeyronia Pyroformis just doesn’t roll off the tongue. Guess I’m gonna have to get use to it. My Chambeyronia Arsenal just got larger. 

-dale

It’s spelt pyriformis 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 2:22 PM, Steve Mac said:

I'm just renaming too.

What are we calling the flamethrower how? Is it still a var.?

Or macrocarpa or just hookeri ?

Not one answer to that. Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. macrocarpa and C.macrocarpa var. hookeri make red leaves 

• Like 1

I think I will just look at it all like some many of the Dypsis out there in that, if you are a big fan, you know ALL the names AND how many DIFFERENT palms were sold under the SAME name....and VICE VERSA.
I'll likely call my stuff by the old name with a sidebar of their new name... like I do with a third of my Dypsis!! hahah

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 11/7/2021 at 9:50 PM, KrisKupsch said:

Not one answer to that. Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. macrocarpa and C.macrocarpa var. hookeri make red leaves 

and I think Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. roxanniae and watermelon C.m.var.flavopicta also makes red leaf. Going by the recent paper by Hodel and Pintaud (2021)

Edited by KrisKupsch