IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm surgery- keep cutting?

RJ

So I noticed this mutt of a palm today had a dead spear . I’ve had no luck with just H2O in these situations. I did pour some down the hole and it fizzed. I pulled 3 spears out. Then decided to cut into it. 

@Laaz is well versed in this so hoping you can chime in. Should I go deeper?

6820C514-86E9-4789-9812-E2C93ACC374D.jpeg

E8404E2D-680D-44B4-BCCB-ED0FA4C1D6EA.jpeg

Edited by RJ

I’ve always cut until there’s solid palm tissue and no hole, it’s always nerve wracking to do

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

4 minutes ago, freakypalmguy said:

I’ve always cut until there’s solid palm tissue and no hole, it’s always nerve wracking to do

Thanks , I made another cut about an inch deeper. 

image.jpg

Above, appears to be the newest spear I hit it with H2O and it fizzed. Not sure if I should keep going or just wait to see if there is movement…

This is what I pushed out of the center of the last slice I cut off … spear feels pretty solid between my fingers. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by RJ

17 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Stop there, if it is alive it will push a spear. Also make sure the soil isn't holding too much moisture.

Figures I just watered it because it’s been so dry recently (air and lack of rain) . I’ll put it out in the front (south) side of the house tomorrow. Should I keep applying H2o2?

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Figures I just watered it because it’s been so dry recently (air and lack of rain) . I’ll put it out in the front (south) side of the house tomorrow. Should I keep applying H2o2?

Randy, I would use a fungicide rather than the H2O2 if you have it.  Keep the cut area as dry as possible until you get some good growth by covering during rain events and only water the soil.  When I performed similar surgery after our 9° freeze I saw movement in 24 hours, but that was April and my similar sized Butia was in the ground so yours might not respond as quickly.  It's almost back to normal looking now.  You will probably have to give it some extra protection this winter.

rsz_butia_may02.thumb.jpg.94384aeb420348fd3f52ba0232da48f5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

I believe there are a few different schools of thought regarding this on here.  A lot of people don't overuse the h202 because it turns into water and you need to try to keep the damaged area dry.  Some people swear by it though.  I treat with a liquid copper fungicide after the cut, let it dry out, and then keep the cut dry with an overturned nursery pot until the new spear is far enough along that there is no more hole to collect water.  The upside down pot isn't my idea though, I got that from one of the guys on here I just can't remember who!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

I believe there are a few different schools of thought regarding this on here.  A lot of people don't overuse the h202 because it turns into water and you need to try to keep the damaged area dry.  Some people swear by it though.  I treat with a liquid copper fungicide after the cut, let it dry out, and then keep the cut dry with an overturned nursery pot until the new spear is far enough along that there is no more hole to collect water.  The upside down pot isn't my idea though, I got that from one of the guys on here I just can't remember who!

Joseph from Texas Cold Hardy Palms suggested that idea to me although I've used it for years to keep frost off young palms.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

I’ll check the pantry for copper fungicide tomorrow. Weather here has been nice and dry , so that’s a bonus. Thanks guys !

Is the application 3-4 tsp per gallon still what you guys use n this scenario?

image.jpg

Edited by RJ

2 hours ago, RJ said:

Palm is toast … it’s a sloppy mess :sick: in there :violin:

can't hurt to cut any further , also give it time you got nothing to lose. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

When I had a Butia that looked like that I saw new growth in couple days , so you may need to bring out the violins , but give it a month or so . I've also seen a Sabal palmetto that I pulled out the entire center and it left a big hole in the ground , and in a month or so saw new growth coming from the huge hole where I pulled it . It's 8' tall now to the tip of the highest frond . 

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

I would have left the green leave alone & just poured peroxide down the hole. The green leave were probably supplying nutrients to the roots.

20 hours ago, Laaz said:

I would have left the green leave alone & just poured peroxide down the hole. The green leave were probably supplying nutrients to the roots.

Yes.

Isn't trunk cutting usually reserved as more of a last resort after something catastrophic like a major freeze where there isn't much green left?

With that said, I have had a Butia get whatever summertime funk/rot they get and die from the center spear outward.  I've also noticed other Butia around suffer the same fate.  Yours may have also been in that "didn't know it was dead yet" stage.  Once the meristem is dead, it is only a matter of death by attrition as the rest of the green outer leaves age out.