IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentia palm dying

Rp11

fMgHt9d.jpgMy kentia palm is dying. 2 weeks earlier the pot fell. So I repotted and added some extra soil/ manure. Added some water the next week. This week the soil is still very moist. And the plant is yellow and brown.

Does that white planter have drain holes? If so, how many and how big? If not, get the palm out of it ASAP. Most palms require coarse very well draining potting soil. They should never be left sitting in trays of water. I suspect you have overwatered that palm and it has root rot. Overwatering is common. People who don't know plants think water solves everything, but too much water is a major killer of palms. It may be too late to save your palm but if you want to try, toss the current soil and replace it with a coarse garden soil (preferably not Miracle Gro and no cheap black houseplant soil) mixed with pumice or perlite. Carefully rinse old soil off roots and inspect. White roots are healthy, dead/diseased roots are black/brown. Soak roots in hydrogen peroxide for 30 minutes or so to disinfect them. Disinfect or replace the pot. If you want to use the planter and it has no drain holes, drill 1" holes through the bottom. Water sparingly. Keep soil just moist, never soggy.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Plant drowned. Pot looks too big and soil sounds like muck.

As was said above,  most (but not all) palms, need excellent drainage and want to dry some between waterings. Oxygen/aeration at the root level is really important.

I lost a a large Kentia a few years ago (since replaced by three Howea fosterianas and a H. belamoreana--I LOVE this genus!), thinking that I would "improve" the soil by introducing more organic matter.  Have since learned my lesson.  Especially in the cooler months, it's really important to not overwater these, and they can go into rapid decline. Sometimes, the best approach with palms is just to leave them be if they seem to be doing well.