IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How big and far will a bamboo grove eventually get?

maskedmole

Let's say someone has 10 acres of wooded land and plants a single bamboo plant in the middle. How many acres will the bamboo spread in a person's lifetime. Will it grow over the entire 10 acres or eventually slow down around a couple acres or just end up dying off of old age before it becomes that big?

Lowest lows per year 2007-2019: 7F,  5F0F7F3.9F14F14F, -8.9F, 0.1F, 7.2F, 1.2F, -0.8F, 10.2F..... Averaged: 4.6F

It depends on which species of bamboo and the growing conditions of the plot. They vary in growth habit and vigor. Some bamboos would relish the opportunity to fill up 10 acres and could do it while idly inspecting its nails. Phyllostachys aurea (Golden bamboo) can gobble up land pretty quickly.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2

Well your location says Tennessee, and to do what you say will need more than one Phyllostachys bamboo planted to accomplish your goal in a reasonable time.   After initial planting growth will appear slow for the first couple years, but once fully established it will start popping up everywhere and much quicker as time goes by.  

My brother and I visited his old property in Central Florida back in August and the three types of running bamboo he had planted there now covers about 3 acres after ten or so years.  This was from multiple divisions of bamboo planted.

Obviously many factors affect growth rate, so what you see may vary....

My climate is different from yours, but the guy I bought most of my bamboo from has several unmanicured groves on his property.  Mostly Phyllostachys and Fargesia, several varieties of each.  Each grove is about 10 years old, and I would guess they cover about as much real estate as a small house - maybe 1,200 sq ft.  Some are bigger some are smaller.  

Bamboo will also grow in direct response to ample water and fertilizer.  So if you want it fast, feed it!  Some species also grow and expand faster than others.  For example my Seabreeze (Bambusa Maligensis) and Asian Lemon (Bambusa Eutuldoides Viridi-Vittata) are growing 20-50 canes per year.  It's almost too fast for the spots I have them in.  Others like Lako are putting up 5-10 culms per year and easier to manage.  These won't grow in TN, they are purely tropical/subtropical.  But species will definitely matter for you!