Looking Glass

Pseudophoenix hits the dirt.

Looking Glass

Well, I put two of the Pseudophoenix Sargentii in the ground, up front by the road….  hot, driest part of the yard, full, direct sun all day.   Hopefully they are happy there and don’t die of dog-urine poisoning or teenage vandalism.  

Charlie Brown’s Pseudophoenix……

March 5th 2021…61E5A76F-D65B-49F1-AC70-3B8F0A32F398.thumb.jpeg.00bb01a28477f206e1c34088826b4b83.jpeg

Today…AD743674-5A4C-458B-A135-2ADB03FF68B6.thumb.jpeg.3dd0381ab4879b49b3fef6b5ef028ac5.jpeg

The One-Armed Bandit grew another arm, so I figured it was time.   

June 9th 2021….D6F32613-7F98-40E7-98C1-284F22A75E7F.thumb.jpeg.41803e91e8ecd43370c5d6515a31e16b.jpeg

Today…34B612FD-AFED-4B26-80AB-1A53DC15CBF0.thumb.jpeg.e39784a7af156516c1261fcf8e76ffae.jpeg

Still have to find spots for 3 more in pots.   Hopefully these do well in the ground.  

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Merlyn

Nice spots!  I have two that are about the same size as your Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.  :D  I planted one up front in full sun, and one in the backyard in AM shade/PM full sun.  Both are moving pretty quick, and both I believe are Navassana types.  Do you know what type yours are?

• Like 1

kinzyjr
1 minute ago, Looking Glass said:

Well, I put two of the Pseudophoenix Sargentii in the ground, up front by the road….  hot, driest part of the yard, full, direct sun all day.   Hopefully they are happy there and don’t die of dog-urine poisoning or teenage vandalism.  

Still have to find spots for 3 more in pots.   Hopefully these do well in the ground.  

I'm sure yours will grow well.  Here, we tend to grow them in dappled light under canopy since we're about a full zone less than your location.  They've reached maturity and self-seed here now.

• Like 1

Looking Glass
1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

Nice spots!  I have two that are about the same size as your Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.  :D  I planted one up front in full sun, and one in the backyard in AM shade/PM full sun.  Both are moving pretty quick, and both I believe are Navassana types.  Do you know what type yours are?

I don’t know, but I don’t think they are Navassana, as the place I bought them from had those, but were saving them for personal use, and wouldn’t sell them to me.  ‘:(
These are faster than I thought though.  Not fast, but faster than half the stuff of similar size that I have.  They responded great to a little food and water.  

I do have a tall, thin strange one that is very different than all the rest, but probably the same age as Charlie.   Got it at the same time from a different nursery.  They almost sold me a small Ekmanii by mistake (I couldn’t tell either at that size) so could be anything I guess.   My overfeeding tendencies didn’t make this one any fatter, just taller.  I wonder how/what that one will turn out to be.   It’s moved up to the on-deck circle now.  E048D370-B7BA-45CD-B046-AD8A469630A7.thumb.jpeg.d6cae1b244ed84affec95d314cea8d8b.jpeg

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

I'm sure yours will grow well.  Here, we tend to grow them in dappled light under canopy since we're about a full zone less than your location.  They've reached maturity and self-seed here now.

I hope so.  It stays pretty warm here.  I tested these in full, blazing sun out back and they did well.  Hope they like ground freedom even better.  I’ve got a friend with a big, fat white one.  Hopefully they turn out something like that, but who knows?  These are pretty variable as grownups.  

• Like 5

WaianaeCrider

Hope yours grow as well as mine here on O`ahu.  Two photos, one form 2008 and the other from 2020.

Pseudophoenix sargentii2008-08.jpg

Pseudophoenix sargentii20200901_105753.jpg

• Like 6

Oviedo_z10b_lol
2 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Charlie Brown’s Pseudophoenix……

Funny thing… when I came home with a P. Sargentii, the wife called it the same thing. I had to show her mature ones in the Keys before she realized I’d planted more than a sad little stick. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking Glass
1 hour ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Hope yours grow as well as mine here on O`ahu.  Two photos, one form 2008 and the other from 2020.

Pseudophoenix sargentii20200901_105753.jpg

I doubt it.  …That ring spacing.   I’d call that guy, “Stretch Armstrong”.
….Careful Icarus. 

1 hour ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Funny thing… when I came home with a P. Sargentii, the wife called it the same thing. I had to show her mature ones in the Keys before she realized I’d planted more than a sad little stick. 

Lol!  Yeah they look especially pathetic as babies.  Then you get to see the price tag at certain nurseries on some of those sticks too.  

sonoranfans

My sister had two navisanna on anna maria island, the one planted in a wet spot died from continually wet soil.  the survivor, planted with shells and gravel on top and virtually no organic matter is about 5-6' trunk but its kind of thick, about 6-7" caliper.  In part shade they may elongate and grow vertically faster with the thinner trunk.   Var navissana is noted for its 3" ring spacing vs the about 1" for the non navissana.  Here they are side by side courtesy of AZtropic in another thread.  By the way, they like alkaline soil.

IMG_20200213_143315840.jpg

• Like 5

Looking Glass
21 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

My sister had two navisanna on anna maria island, the one planted in a wet spot died from continually wet soil.  the survivor, planted with shells and gravel on top and virtually no organic matter is about 5-6' trunk but its kind of thick, about 6-7" caliper.  In part shade they may elongate and grow vertically faster with the thinner trunk.   Var navissana is noted for its 3" ring spacing vs the about 1" for the non navissana.  Here they are side by side courtesy of AZtropic in another thread.  By the way, they like alkaline soil.

I love that pic.  Whoever planted those two did Sargentii lovers a great service.  I don’t think I’m going to see that big ring spacing.  Mine are likely to be at nipple hight, rather than tickling the stratosphere in 10 years.  

The one-armed bandit already has tight rings.  I actually like the look of the big, white fatties.  

aztropic

Pseudophoenix with a sea shell top dressing... LOVE IT! :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20210724_173627536.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

sonoranfans
1 hour ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Yep and the seashells are definitely alkaline as well.  That little "fattie" is gorgeous!   Nice job scott!  I would never have guessed from the pic that it was grown in AZ, looks a lot like a florida one!

• Like 2

Johnny Palmseed
9 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

I agree with @sonoranfans. That palm is picture perfect. I’m guessing that the top is nice too.

• Like 2

Looking Glass

One thing I noticed about these that I forgot to mention, even in their little pots initially…. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a palm cement itself to the dirt so stiffly as these do.   There isn’t even the slightest wiggle or give.   These things must developed a very strong root system.  As babies, the pot will rock off the ground before they move even the slightest. 

Tingtongthai

Vinifera in my   Thailand  garden

20210915_160041.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1