IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Found tropical palm trees growing in Myrtle Beach, SC I have never seen here before!

SuperJedi

This listing has some tropical palms growing here,in Myrtle Beach, what appears to be Queen and Christmas palms?

Check out this house listing and the palm trees growing here in Myrtle Beach! I’m just concerned with the palms, not the listing, lmao. I just have always thought the most tropical palms in MB, SC were Phoenix CIDP’s, but these look like Queen and Christmas palms? Anyone else can identify what types of palms are growing here in these photos? 

I just find this amazing, and there are so many of them, that I highly doubt they are re-planted each summer. Myrtle Beach is one of the most northern Zone 8B, the same zone as Pensacola Florida, so I guess it’s possible! Ive lived here for 6 years now and I’ve only ever seen it drop below 30 degrees a handful of times. And during the day in the coldest months it’s still usually always like 50-70 degrees. I’ve only ever seen it below 48 degrees during the day one time in 6 years during a Nor’easter cold front, and on overcast days. It was in the 30s for a week straight. But it was consistent and the only time it happened, so I refer to it as one event still. Otherwise it’s usually around 48 on the coldest overcast days on the coldest month, and when it’s sunny it’s always around 58-70 degrees. And at night, the average temperature is upper 30s. I believe the average number of nights at or below freezing per year is about 30, but in 2019 I believe, IIRC, it was only 9 nights. Coldest it’s been since I lived here was 19 degrees, and I only recall that ever happening once. If it rarely does drop below freezing at night, it’s usually upper 20s still. 

Edited by SuperJedi
Fixing typos

1 hour ago, SuperJedi said:

This listing has some tropical palms growing here,in Myrtle Beach, what appears to be Queen and Christmas palms?

Check out this house listing and the palm trees growing here in Myrtle Beach! I’m just concerned with the palms, not the listing, lmao. I just have always thought the most tropical palms in MB, SC were Phoenix CIDP’s, but these look like Queen and Christmas palms? Anyone else can identify what types of palms are growing here in these photos? 

I just find this amazing, and there are so many of them, that I highly doubt they are re-planted each summer. Myrtle Beach is one of the most northern Zone 8B, the same zone as Pensacola Florida, so I guess it’s possible! Ive lived here for 6 years now and I’ve only ever seen it drop below 30 degrees a handful of times. And during the day in the coldest months it’s still usually always like 50-70 degrees. I’ve only ever seen it below 48 degrees during the day one time in 6 years during a Nor’easter cold front, and on overcast days. It was in the 30s for a week straight. But it was consistent and the only time it happened, so I refer to it as one event still. Otherwise it’s usually around 48 on the coldest overcast days on the coldest month, and when it’s sunny it’s always around 58-70 degrees. And at night, the average temperature is upper 30s. I believe the average number of nights at or below freezing per year is about 30, but in 2019 I believe, IIRC, it was only 9 nights. Coldest it’s been since I lived here was 19 degrees, and I only recall that ever happening once. If it rarely does drop below freezing at night, it’s usually upper 20s still. 

Oh wow, those are gonna be dead soon. Several Foxtails there, looks like i saw a Bottle there as well, among many other tropicals. I question whether this is actually in Myrtle Beach, or if they just staged the tropicals palms there for pictures, then sent them back to Florida.

Edited by JLM

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Is this a joke? The waterfront in the background is full of towering coconuts :floor:

The only real photos are the ones all the way down full of the typical palmettos 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

This has to be either photoshopped or it’s an identical model from a southerner zone. I see foxtails in the front yard. And the neighbors’ house has mature D. Lutescens. No way those grow to that extent that far north. 

• Like 1

We saw ictures of adonidias growing in NJ too.  They call them annuals.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

My guess is that whoever is selling this house (developer?) has built one identical to it, somewhere in south FL, and used those photos in this listing.    There is not a chance in hell that the first several photos of this listing are in SC, let alone anywhere north of zone 10A / B 

• Like 1

Incredible, just incredible

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The photo appears to have been pulled from the Sater Design Collection website and is home plan #6906 called Valhalla listed in the FLORIDA home styles section, more info here.

The trees in the pics are probably happily growing somewhere in FL and are much bigger now.

• Like 1

Myrtle beach is only  1º North of my latitude (32.51º)

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)