Will

Growing coconut from store bought seed

Will

Hi,

I know thats a somewhat sensible topic, since some sites will tell you, dont even try to grow a coconut from a store bought coconut. But I thought I wanna give it a try. Does somebody have experience in growing coconuts and can give some advice in how to prepare and eventually germinate one? :lol:

I know, it will probably not work but than I can say, at least I tried haha

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ZPalms
8 hours ago, Will said:

Hi,

I know thats a somewhat sensible topic, since some sites will tell you, dont even try to grow a coconut from a store bought coconut. But I thought I wanna give it a try. Does somebody have experience in growing coconuts and can give some advice in how to prepare and eventually germinate one? :lol:

I know, it will probably not work but than I can say, at least I tried haha

Cheers,

Will

I tried once but wasn't successful but it can happen, I've watched a few videos on youtube but from what I understand at least from what this guy says is that if you pick a coconut from the store and one of the 3 eyes has a a bulge it most likely wants to germinate. I'll probably try again in the future but It's good to get a couple coconuts cause it's a very 50/50 thing to do since a bad coconut will just start rotting which mine did and it smells bad!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

oasis371

Can you buy one locally that is still green (unhusked), should have a better chance with one of those.  They can take as long as six months to germinate.

You need to provide tropical warmth, they will just rot at room temperature.  I rooted one from a fresh nut found on a street in Florida. It was half planted in sandy soil in July and germinated in December in a south facing, warm, sunny window.  I get a lot of autumn and winter sun and I'm sure that extra heat helped. 

Edited by oasis371
  • Like 1

Will

Cant get any fresh ones here in Austria, Central Europe I think unfortunately. Trying my luck with store ones^^

oasis371

In the States, they sell green/unhusked ones in Northern/ethnic markets pretty commonly.

Will
On 9/29/2021 at 11:31 PM, oasis371 said:

In the States, they sell green/unhusked ones in Northern/ethnic markets pretty commonly.

Gonna check out some markets here too then. Thanks!

NOT A TA
On 9/29/2021 at 5:31 PM, oasis371 said:

n the States, they sell green/unhusked ones in Northern/ethnic markets pretty commonly.

Years ago I used to sell some of the nuts from my trees to a couple different guys who would collect them from people like me here and then ship them north.  I cut down most of my mature trees because they were liabilities (or about to become) from getting too tall, so I don't sell the immature nuts anymore.  Be aware when buying unhusked nuts at stores, they were not allowed to mature on the tree (because of taste) so germination rates are much lower than nuts allowed to fully mature on the trees.

• Like 1