DoomsDave

Silver Chamaerops seeds

DoomsDave

My silver Chamaerops is seeding and I’m gonna plant some.

Anyone tell me how long before they germinate? Any other details?

Thanks!

7A74571E-031D-4EF0-ACF6-32CB0E5FCE59.thumb.jpeg.b76fd4e44ae96914a9f38adec6da6554.jpeg

• Like 5

aztropic

Just 1 minor detail. Nobody wants them. Time and space better spent on a different species. Unless pollinated with another silver male,offspring will be mostly green. Also,silver trait generally doesn't show up till 3 gallon size, so you have a few years into it before you can honestly sell them as silver.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Neil C

Wait till the seeds change colour and are easily pulled off. Then remove the outer pulp (smelly job) wash and soak. The seeds should germinate in about a month. Any silver should show itself on the first devided leaf.

Regards Neil

• Upvote 1

zimm

Yeah was going to say all my chamaerops seemed to take a month or so to germinate (green).  Have some silver seeds I am waiting on now though!

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave
17 hours ago, aztropic said:

Just 1 minor detail. Nobody wants them. Time and space better spent on a different species. Unless pollinated with another silver male,offspring will be mostly green. Also,silver trait generally doesn't show up till 3 gallon size, so you have a few years into it before you can honestly sell them as silver.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I semi-concur -

Except -

I’ve had several offers of first born children from palmiers in Oregon and here in California, believe it or not.

Well, exaggerating just a bit about the children part, but there’s interest, more than I expected.

DallasPalms

I sewed from a large type it was around a month I think. Maybe a little longer on seeds that were sold to me as 'Vulacano' I think they were a little longer but it was also cooler season...

The form is pretty good on alot of silver types. An Argentea type I saw with silvery leaves looks nice... it had a round bushy mound form that some ppl would prefer I think it's worth the wait... though the leaves mostly faded to regular green in a hot sunny position... green with a silvery cap

In Texas I've seen Chamaerops in general looking nice in sun or shady spots maybe a little nicer with shade...

Stelios

I planted all the seeds from my small silver chamaerops (around 30) at the end of September. They looked mature so after I cleaned the fruit, I put them in the water for about 3 days. Then I planted them in the pot about half inch deep. Yesterday I noticed they started to germinate. For the moment is only 2 but I see they have different colour. I'm wondering if it's an indicator if the palm will be silver or green.

20211113_072023.thumb.jpg.4c0c443dcdb021db8e2650bb18bb43c4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Darold Petty

Dave, who and what color is the pollen donor ??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave
1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

Dave, who and what color is the pollen donor ??

Pretty sure this is one of those cases of self pollination. 

There’s no other Chamaerops anywhere nearby. 

The nearest ones are 100+ feet away in the backyard. The plant pictured is up front.

• Like 2

Darold Petty

Dartolution

@DoomsDave lets see a picture of the parent plants! 

DoomsDave
1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

@DoomsDave lets see a picture of the parent plants! 

1 hour ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Agree 

The parent plant is shown in the first picture.

There are babies under it from seeds having popped in previous seasons. Another Palm Talker came by and got some seeds for their nursery last year.

Will

Took 3 weeks for me. Freshly taken from a  cerifera in souther italy. 

Used the baggy method. Planted end of August. Now they already have their first leaf.

20211112_204221.thumb.jpg.09742ef953f3ac598fb47fc0f226239b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dartolution

I meant an overall image, not a closeup of the infrutescence.