IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Barbados Cherry cold survival

amh

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I grow Barbados Cherry in the ground, and I had a small one survive the February cold (8 F) with some damage.  It's recovering OK, and bloomed and fruited this fall.  The one I have is the one with the dry-ish pea-sized fruit, not the juicy cherry-sized acerolas.

• Like 1

I have the large fruited type and can never get a straight answer on the hardiness. I think I'll make a few clones before I plant mine in the ground.

5 hours ago, Xenon said:

The larger fruited type is tropical zone 10. Not hardy at all 

Mid 9b ( 27-28F-ish, w/ slight damage possible ) is what i have heard the most from people here / in San Diego.. Have also heard of them surviving lower than that. Regardless, have seen pictures of  good sized specimens in 9b yards around the valley / in CA.

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Mid 9b ( 27-28F-ish, w/ slight damage possible ) is what i have heard the most from people here / in San Diego.. Have also heard of them surviving lower than that. Regardless, have seen pictures of  good sized specimens in 9b yards around the valley / in CA.

That makes it a functionally zone 10 plant for TX zones haha. Reports here place it as more tender than mango, probably around lime-tier. It doesn't seem to have the vigor to return from the ground and fruit in the second year like starfruit or guava. Safe to say it's a no go without extensive protection in rural central TX imo

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

7 minutes ago, Xenon said:

That makes it a functionally zone 10 plant for TX zones haha. Reports here place it as more tender than mango, probably around lime-tier. It doesn't seem to have the vigor to return from the ground and fruit in the second year like starfruit or guava. Safe to say it's a no go without extensive protection in rural central TX imo

lol, Interesting.. I'd have thought these would fall more within the Tangerine / Guava zone of hardiness.. Goes to show how differently things can behave in different areas.   Agree, forget it in the ground where he is at.  Good thing is they're pretty easy and fruit well in containers.

Is either variety more or less likely to make a small tree with 4-inch diameter trunk? Very attractive plant when flowering.

I had Barbados cherry in south Austin for several years.  The fruit were about the size of a dime.  It survived many mid-20 temps fine with very little damage.  !7F and 14F really knocked it back though.  It was kind of slow to recover but did.  Not sure how it handled this past winter as I no longer live there.  Am guessing it was cut to ground, perhaps killed outright.

• Like 2

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

8 minutes ago, Austinpalm said:

Is either variety more or less likely to make a small tree with 4-inch diameter trunk? Very attractive plant when flowering.

I had Barbados cherry in south Austin for several years.  The fruit were about the size of a dime.  It survived many mid-20 temps fine with very little damage.  !7F and 14F really knocked it back though.  It was kind of slow to recover but did.  Not sure how it handled this past winter as I no longer live there.  Am guessing it was cut to ground, perhaps killed outright.

Don't think it matters. Have seen them trained to 8ft on stakes in 15gal in the past, and seen videos of  -what i'd guess- were 10ft tall specimens planted.. Sure they could be trained a bit taller over time w/ out much trouble.  Agree, even w/ out the fruit, they'd make a nice small tree.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i live in zone 9b central fl west coast. temperatures down in the 20's for several days. my barbados cherry tree 8-10 ft tall is all brown. i may have to cut it back to ground and hope new growth will emerge. nothing on the internet to give info on cold hardiness or low temp tolerance ?

1 hour ago, simmjz said:

i live in zone 9b central fl west coast. temperatures down in the 20's for several days. my barbados cherry tree 8-10 ft tall is all brown. i may have to cut it back to ground and hope new growth will emerge. nothing on the internet to give info on cold hardiness or low temp tolerance ?

Don't cut anything yet.  As much as you hate to see it this way, give it another month and half before taking cuts.  We've surely got more cold coming (this weekend for example) and the outer, damaged limbs can protect the green stuff further down.

• Like 3

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B