IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarkia Nobilis hardiness?

Pee Dee Palms

Does anyone know what the exact hardiness of a Bismarckia is? I've seen some people say 8b, 9a, and 10a. Which one is it? I am thinking about getting one for Myrtle Beach...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Does anyone know what the exact hardiness of a Bismarckia is? I've seen some people say 8b, 9a, and 10a. Which one is it? I am thinking about getting one for Myrtle Beach...

Plenty of posts and topics about this, one very recent. Use the forum search function

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@General Sylvester D. Palm something else I've found helpful is to type your question (or a generic form of it) into Google and then type palmtalk after it. Will help streamline things

Nice tip Dave!  I've had some issues using the search function here and have had better luck using Google to find Palmtalk threads.

@General Sylvester D. Palm - bottom line is that there are specific palms that are only hardy to 10a and others hardy to a dry 8b or 9a due to variation within the species.  The cold-hardiest ones are very silver (almost white).

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@General Sylvester D. Palm something else I've found helpful is to type your question (or a generic form of it) into Google and then type palmtalk after it. Will help streamline things

Without a doubt this is the best way to find stuff on PT. Tho usuable , PT search is no match for Google. @Fusca I believe your right about the color of bizzies having to do with there hardiness. The green form is the least hardiness of all. @General Sylvester D. Palm I would give a Bizzie a go for sure and if you want something a lil more bullet proof try a Sabal Causiarum,  bigger and faster then a Bizzie just green so not quite the same wow factor of the silver Bizzie.

T J 

T J 

Most bizzies tend to die in the low 20's, so marginal in a cold 9a. 8b is certain death at some point, 1-6 years down the line? Who knows. 8b can have their warm winters that end up actually being 9a-9b winters, then other times it hits the actual zone temps, can also go lower than zone temps. USDA hardiness zones says absolutely nothing about what temps you can experience. You can have a minimum low of 27F in zone 8b one winter, then a low of 12F the next. It all really depends on the overall pattern. Im trying out one here in NW FL, its a baby seedling right now, going into its first winter. Will be 1 year old from germination in February, and 1 yr from first leaf appearence in like April i think. Anyways, if you try one (i definitely think you should), try to find one that is almost completely white, or the most silver one. Those are the generally the hardiest, as said above. Good luck if you try one!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

If you struggle to grow queen palms on a year to year basis, Bismarckia is not an option for you imo. It's going to work in MB without plenty of protection. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

15 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yes thank you! I have always had trouble with the search function on here.

7 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Yes thank you! I have always had trouble with the search function on here.

No problem! I may come off as a dick at times but I'm here to help :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAVEinMB said:

No problem! I may come off as a dick at times but I'm here to help :D

Lol! Don't we all?