IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Fiji fan palm

Cape Garrett

Gets some lower leaf spots with the Winter chill but has grown fast for me here in Cape Coral.  Planted on the north side of my house about 4 years ago as a 1 gallon seedling from Meg.

20210924_092304.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

P. pacifica always look great this time of year, then ragged and tattered come April. This palm really hates temps. below 55F and expresses its misery for all to see. I got 3 and wish I didn't but don't have the courage to cut them down. My thurstonii and remota take our winters like champs. I hope our new martii will too. Much better choices than pacifica.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

8 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

P. pacifica always look great this time of year, then ragged and tattered come April. This palm really hates temps. below 55F and expresses its misery for all to see. I got 3 and wish I didn't but don't have the courage to cut them down. My thurstonii and remota take our winters like champs. I hope our new martii will too. Much better choices than pacifica.

At my location of 380' on the Leeward side of O`ahu temps once in a great while hit 55 F at night.  In higher elevations on the Ko`olau I'm sure P. martii sees 55* or lower every winter at night.  Perhaps not every night but quite often.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

10 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

At my location of 380' on the Leeward side of O`ahu temps once in a great while hit 55 F at night.  In higher elevations on the Ko`olau I'm sure P. martii sees 55* or lower every winter at night.  Perhaps not every night but quite often.

Mine see a lot lower than that. My lowest last winter was 41F. The pacificas really hated that. The dry season winds didn't help. This species is more cool sensitive than Cocos nucifera and look even rattier at the end of winter. Average Jan. temps here are 75/55F. Summer tropical storm winds wreak havoc on them too. Truly a year round tropical palm.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I have less problems with this whereas my thurstonii was crappy so much I cut it down.  Funny same town different experiences with these palms.  And the thurstonii was on the warmer south side of my house.  Go figure.