Keys6505

Separating Kentia, now or wait until spring

Keys6505

I searched for Kentia topics in this forum but found mostly sick palm posts.  I have a pot of about 20 young H. Fosteriana and want to split them up.  My question is how root sensitive are they and can I do it now or should I wait until spring?  I'm in the Houston area and they will be outside with the exception of any emergency cold spell evacuations.

20210923_174937.jpg

JohnAndSancho

It'll be easier to do it now. 

I've split up a 2gal and a 1gal in the past and ehhh it'll be easier now. 

Don't expect 100% survival rate, take your time, keep the root ball wet. The roots are only gonna get crunchier and harder and more tangled. Ymmv. 

• Upvote 1

Steve Mac

John is right, but I have not found Kentia to be root sensitive. I did the experiment. I pulled up a couple of dozen self-seeded volunteers out of the garden for the compost bin, then took a few of the ones with the least roots left on them and repotted them to see the survival rate.

In the past I have yanked out seedlings and decided to pot them later to give away, always with surprising high survival rates.

Here it is, pulled up 7th may and 3 months later 15 Aug I had only lost one.  They were pulled out with no intention of keeping them.  I just put them in compost from the bottom of the compost bin.

20210507_121307.thumb.jpg.7c1f0e0d3ae64e8f351d8a868881f33e.jpg

1091020168_20210815_1559031.thumb.jpg.0c1b63adcd41a0b6137543fce103216d.jpg

• Upvote 1

Keys6505

This weekend it is!  Thanks guys

• Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho

Also, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me 

But if they're indoors, what are seasons? Fwiw I have a 1g pot that i *didn't* split up and have lost 3/4 of them so totally conflicting info. Kentias are moody af. 

oasis371

Take's why I have avoided purchasing them as multiple plantings.  By nature they are solitary, and I understand that growing them as multiples slow them down, so I get why you would want to divide them (although there are many fine specimens of multiples around).  If it were mine, I wouldn't necessarily aim to divide them in hopes of achieving 100% individual specimens.  When you toss them out of the container, some of those will be much easier to establish as solitary specimens but some clusters may be too tight to tamper with without some loss. I'd settle for greater success with fewer solitary specimens and also be content that I had some multiples in my collection.

My question though is, do you see Howeas being grown outdoors in your area? Howeas are notoriously problematic in Florida, I think because of high, minimum temps. I realize Houston is not Miami but your summers are probably worse than Miami's.  They probably would be helped by a position out of the sun.  

P.S., 

"But if they're indoors, what are seasons?"

i.) The OP said that Kentias would be grown outside.

ii.) The indoors also experience seasons; throughout the year such factors as day length, light intensity, humidity, ventilation, and changes with cooling and heating systems.

Keys6505

I paid $25 for a pot of about 20 small plants so if I get a 50% success rate I'm happy.  I'd rather do it now so if I somehow managed to lose too many I can just buy another community pot while I have a source.  No, there aren't any I know of around here but I have a bunch of plants in the yard I don't see anywhere else locally.  I'm the guy the neighbors watch wrap trees in blankets and Christmas lights when we have a cold spell.  But I'm probably not long for the TX life anyway, I will most likely be in central-ish FL next year so these would be container ranch residents until then.

Keys6505

I broke these up today.  Roots came apart pretty clean.  I didnt have a pile of root scraps after I was done so I think I did ok.  This turned out to be 2 clumps of super root bound starter cells repotted into a 6" pot.  Got 20 plants out of it and 1 seed that was still solid and sank in water so I stuck it on one of the pots.  We'll see how they make out.

20210926_130442.jpg

20210926_134328.jpg

20210926_142052.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve Mac

Given my experience, I would be surprised if you lose any.  :)