IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A 7g licuala grandis costs WHAT?!?!?!

Oviedo_z10b_lol

I’m hopes of obtaining a new addition to the patio container (and because my chambeyronia is getting to tall for the pool cage, I decided to take a jaunt up to my local family owned nursery to buy a licuala. Before you look at the photo, just guess what they were charging. 

In their defense, it was a very nice looking plant. But needless to say, I went home with an empty truck bed. 

for you central Floridians: yup, this was Lukas Nursery. Just obscene. 

CDBBD6D4-864C-4EEF-B632-5409E2FB1081.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow! $499 is atrocious. I was gonna go high and guess $299. 

But keep in mind…you get a 1cu/ft bag of soil also to “sweeten the pot” so to speak. :floor:

-dale

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

In their defense, it was a very nice looking plant. But needless to say, I went home with an empty truck bed. 

You mean you didn't buy 10 of them and get a free one?  :mrlooney:  Last year there was a nursery here in San Antonio that was selling one slightly larger for $599!  But the availability of palms around here is 5 or 6 species more than what's offered at the big box stores.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Billeb said:

But keep in mind…you get a 1cu/ft bag of soil also to “sweeten the pot” so to speak. :floor:

It’s their proprietary blend. Made of fairy dust and unicorn guano. Totally worth it!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Yeah I laughed when I saw that plant a couple of months ago.  Lukas is overpriced normally, but that one is just absurd.  They did have 1g pots of variegated Caryota Mitis a few weeks ago.

Wow... Holy crap! Maybe the decimal point was in the wrong spot... lol. I would have dropped my drink after seeing that. Must be some special soil in those bags.

Time to collect more Licuala grandis seed...

Ryan

• Like 2

South Florida

38 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

Wow... Holy crap! Maybe the decimal point was in the wrong spot... lol. I would have dropped my drink after seeing that. Must be some special soil in those bags.

Ryan

Oh really? Interesting comment......

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I bought a 3 gallon one for $67 in Pearl City a few months ago.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

The palm beach pa and cycad society is having a one day palm sale on saturday Oct 2nd at mounts. We have some great vendors coming and  sure that you can pick up a nice specimen then for much more reasonable price.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

On 9/23/2021 at 9:31 PM, Palmarum said:

Ryan

HA!  I thought the same thing.   My thought was there better be a good couple ounces of some goooooood MJ in that bag!   haha. 

• Like 1

First word I saw was “free”

Maybe should of just picked it up and walked out .. can always claim eyesight wasn’t that great so couldn’t see the smaller text 

6 hours ago, Tracy S said:

one day palm sale on saturday Oct 2nd

That does happen to be my birthday. Might have to saunter on down 95 for a look. 

• Upvote 1

Browsing the FB and IG pages, I've noticed the young adults looking for "it" plants have discovered and are beginning to obsess over rounder-leaf Licuala species. I bet this price is aimed at them. I guess they've collected all the Aroids and are moving on to palms! :rolleyes:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

17 minutes ago, Missi said:

Browsing the FB and IG pages, I've noticed the young adults looking for "it" plants have discovered and are beginning to obsess over rounder-leaf Licuala species. I bet this price is aimed at them. I guess they've collected all the Aroids and are moving on to palms! :rolleyes:

That might be it.  A few years ago I bought a 3g Grandis from MB Palms for $35.  Currently it's about twice the size of the Lukas one, maybe I should sell it to some young hipster for $500?  :D 

• Like 1