Josue Diaz

Beccariophoenix alfredii showing up at nurseries in Northern CA

Josue Diaz

I just saw Beccariophoenix for sale at a local nursery in Fresno. This is the first time i see this species available at a retail nursery, and i hope it becomes more commonly available. 

20210922_150019.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

GottmitAlex

Whoah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Billeb

Outta curiosity , how much do they want for one? 

-dale

Looking Glass

I think these are destined to be a very popular landscaping tree in time.  They can be a little slow in some places, but not crazy slow, and they are durable, hardy, and easy growing.  They have a tropical look and stretch the boundary for palmy looking plants a bit.  I wouldn’t be surprised if in 10-20 years they end up like foxtails….   Going from unique to ubiquitous over time.  

• Like 3

Josue Diaz
1 hour ago, Billeb said:

Outta curiosity , how much do they want for one? 

-dale

These were priced at $150, in 15 gallon containers. This nursery is generally pricier, though. On all of their plants.

I asked, and these came from a wholesaler in San Diego... Which of you hooligans grew these babies?

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 2

Silas_Sancona
6 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

These were priced at $150, in 15 gallon containers. This nursery is generally pricier, though. On all of their plants.

I asked, and these came from a wholesaler in San Diego... Which of you hooligans grew these babies?

By California $ standards, $150.00 isn't bad for a 15gal..  Esp. for these. 

Hopefully they'll garner a lot of attention over the next several years..  Would be great if they start showing up in commercial landscapes also, perhaps at bigger sizes ( if any are around/ avail. there yet ) to show the average person what they can grow into over time.

idesign123
24 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I have no idea whether it's them or not, but I noticed a pretty large quantity of Alfredii growing out in a field at a place called "Jungle Jacks" (known mostly for plumeria, but the field of alfredii gave me pause). They're located in Vista (North San Diego)... maybe? Either way, it's great to see them being propagated more.

• Like 2

Billeb
52 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

$150 seems pretty good for a 15G. You can likely find them for a little cheaper but not much. They look pretty good size. 
I legitimately thought u we’re gonna say like $300+. 

-dale

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

That is a good thing. Wish they would show up here more often.

• Like 1

GottmitAlex
7 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I bet it was Joe Palma. 

• Like 1

awkonradi

Josue, this is good to know.  Thank you

• Like 1