IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter protection for Pindo Palm in 7b

knikfar

This will be my pindo palm's first winter in the ground. I've planted it in, what I think is, a nice microclimate. It's about 10' away from the east wall of my house, 5' away from the west wall of my greenhouse and about 4' away from the south side of a large willow oak. The oak is at least 50' tall but I've had the lower canopy trimmed up to allow sunlight at the base. It'll get full sunshine from the early morning until early afternoon in the winter. That being said, I'm in Raleigh, NC, zone 7b. I'm planning to have to protect my pindo a few nights every winter. There will definitely be some winters, like the past two, where I won't but I can't count on that. So I'm wondering what the best way to provide protection is. I know some people wrap their palms in christmas lights. Some say to use the C9 bulbs why others say those are too hot and to use mini lights, incandescent to be specific. I've also read that some people use heat cables. Since I won't have to protect very often, I'd like the simpliest but most protective option possible. Can anyone provide suggestions? 

I have never lost a Pindo palm to temps above 8°F. The bigger problem is freezing precipitation. i.e., snow and freezing rain. The latter had been a curse from Atlanta to Charlotte many a winter. To make matters worse, if you have freezing rain, you will likely lose power too. I would focus more on keeping the bud dry.

• Like 1

Mine in 7A is going in a wire tube like pictured tied up fronds with Christmas mini lights and a thermocube.  Inside palm will be wrapped in 1 wrap frost cloth.  I have green frost cloth now if the white bothers you.  

img1.thumb.jpg.0864367c3ec990d112d890d0ed42dc0a.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I thought Raleigh was 8A.  I see Google says it's both 7b and 8a. 

SeanK, how small of Butias have survived 8f?  I figured they weren't good for single digits until they had several feet of trunk.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

SeanK, how small of Butias have survived 8f?  I figured they weren't good for single digits until they had several feet of trunk.  

We're really on the 7b/8a line, according to the hardiness zone maps. The most recent 30 years of climate data has us in a solid 8a. That being said, I'd like to steer on the conservative side for my palm. In fact, we had a 100 year cold event in 2018 with a low temp of 4 degrees. Very few pindos survived that. There's really only one that I know survived. And its thriving. 

42 minutes ago, Allen said:

Mine in 7A is going in a wire tube like pictured tied up fronds with Christmas mini lights and a thermocube.  Inside palm will be wrapped in 1 wrap frost cloth.  I have green frost cloth now if the white bothers you.  

img1.thumb.jpg.0864367c3ec990d112d890d0ed42dc0a.jpg

This is pretty heavy duty. Much more than I'm looking to do. 

14 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Here is mine size wise - 3'.  I am going to cover it under 15F for sure and probably under 20F.  I wouldn't risk under 12F or so at all at this size. 

2020629817_Tropicals9-2021-11.thumb.jpg.dc5fbdf7e5bb1f5e9a1d166bf83977ff.jpg

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, SeanK said:

I have never lost a Pindo palm to temps above 8°F. The bigger problem is freezing precipitation. i.e., snow and freezing rain. The latter had been a curse from Atlanta to Charlotte many a winter. To make matters worse, if you have freezing rain, you will likely lose power too. I would focus more on keeping the bud dry.

Its not very tall now so keeping the bud dry shouldn't be too difficult. Some of the Atlanta folks have told me to just throw frost cloth over it. But I'm sure I can create a better canopy than just that. 

29 minutes ago, knikfar said:

This is pretty heavy duty. Much more than I'm looking to do. 

I hear you!  But if you have one of these made up it takes about 10 minutes to tie up your palm fronds and set this over the top and put in 3 stakes (Say during a arctic event).  Alternatively you can tie the fronds up and put 2 stakes at the sides and put a rounded pvc pipe on top to hold the frost cloth up.  I use 2 of the 3/4 inch 90 elbows (linked below) to form a rounded top so the snow/ice doesn't collapse the top.  The pipe is put over the poles.    Snow/ice is one of the reasons a shelter is good is because without one ice will weigh down the top and smash it and you can't remove it if there is not a rounded or solid top.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3-4-in-90-Degree-Schedule-40-PVC-Belled-End-Standard-Radius-Elbow-UA9AEB-CTN/202304074

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Allen said:

I hear you!  But if you have one of these made up it takes about 10 minutes to tie up your palm fronds and set this over the top and put in 3 stakes (Say during a arctic event).  Alternatively you can tie the fronds up and put 2 stakes at the sides and put a rounded pvc pipe on top to hold the frost cloth up.  I use 2 of the 3/4 inch 90 elbows (linked below) to form a rounded top so the snow/ice doesn't collapse the top.  The pipe is put over the poles.    Snow/ice is one of the reasons a shelter is good is because without one ice will weigh down the top and smash it and you can't remove it if there is not a rounded or solid top.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3-4-in-90-Degree-Schedule-40-PVC-Belled-End-Standard-Radius-Elbow-UA9AEB-CTN/202304074

Thank you so much for suggesting the stakes and the elbows. That's a great idea! 

I just use a heat cable since it comes with a thermostat.  Then a couple bungee cords to tir up the fronds and wrap it with frost cloths.  If I am expecting anything icy I will throw a tarp over it till the bad weather passes.   I have a pick of my trachy princep.  I used the same method.

20200202_131705.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

I just use a heat cable since it comes with a thermostat.  Then a couple bungee cords to tir up the fronds and wrap it with frost cloths.  If I am expecting anything icy I will throw a tarp over it till the bad weather passes.   I have a pick of my trachy princep.  I used the same method.

20200202_131705.jpg

Do you tie the heat cable directly around the palm? And if so, it doesn't burn the fronds or trunk? 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, knikfar said:

Do you tie the heat cable directly around the palm? And if so, it doesn't burn the fronds or trunk? 

I wrap it from the crown down.  I have had zero trouble with it burning.  Unlike with C9 lights.