Fallen Munk

Superthrive warning

Fallen Munk

I had to move one of my Patrix Schaffer hybrid palms because it was too close to my bamboo and some shoots had invaded.  I decided to order some Superthrive from Amazon.  I have used this in the past with good results on transplants.  When the bottle got here, the cap was not tight and the safety seal was broken.  My first thought was that I was lucky it had not leaked all over the place.  Well, I went to use it today and it's so watered down that I'd estimate it was cut by 75%.  It is usually as dark as molasses but this batch is like weak tea.  So beware if you are buying this through Amazon because it's getting "stepped on" by someone along the line.  I'm returning it.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Dillman
26 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I had to move one of my Patrix Schaffer hybrid palms because it was too close to my bamboo and some shoots had invaded.  I decided to order some Superthrive from Amazon.  I have used this in the past with good results on transplants.  When the bottle got here, the cap was not tight and the safety seal was broken.  My first thought was that I was lucky it had not leaked all over the place.  Well, I went to use it today and it's so watered down that I'd estimate it was cut by 75%.  It is usually as dark as molasses but this batch is like weak tea.  So beware if you are buying this through Amazon because it's getting "stepped on" by someone along the line.  I'm returning it.

Yikes, thanks for the heads up. I just ordered two bottles from Amazon. Too bad HD or Lowe's don't carry the bigger bottles.

Gonzer

I was under the impression that ST was banned for sale in Oregon in part due to NAA (an ingredient) being listed by the EPA as a pesticide.

• Like 1

Scott W

I was just in Wisconsin and my dad had about half a dozen big bottles on the shelf.  If I was checking luggage I would've brought a couple back to Florida with me....

Gonzer
2 hours ago, Scott W said:

I was just in Wisconsin and my dad had about half a dozen big bottles on the shelf.  If I was checking luggage I would've brought a couple back to Florida with me....

Interesting. Wisconsin is another state that bans the sale of ST. 

Fallen Munk
7 hours ago, Gonzer said:

I was under the impression that ST was banned for sale in Oregon in part due to NAA (an ingredient) being listed by the EPA as a pesticide.

I hear that a lot, but I don't know the truth behind it.  I've never seen it removed from the shelves of Lowes or Home Depot and Amazon has no problem shipping it here so....  

Scott W
5 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Interesting. Wisconsin is another state that bans the sale of ST. 

Didn't know that.  May be leftover inventory then on the shelf.

DallasPalms

I thought some I bought was watered down I got it from lowes. The box was a little torn and I thought I would be nice... it looks different but smells strong I was wondering if they changed the formula maybe...

Another warning is that it may not be great for some types of plants..  I read a study discussing how it inhibits one type of root in some plants, lateral or horizontal feeder roots or something, and encourages the other which maybe good or bad depending on the type of plant

I use it for seed soaking mostly ...

I think freshwater kelp works good for transplanting @ feeding the soil

Edited by DallasPalms
  • Like 1