IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

L. Chinensis yellowing

Keys6505

This guy is on the side of my house and just realized today he's yellowing pretty noticably.  I picked a bad part of my yard to plant it, the ground gets soggy when it's rainy and stays damp for a days and days after.  It's been in this spot for over a year and a half and is a Palmageddon survivor (remaining brown leaves as proof) but I haven't seen it yellow before.  All new growth was dark green as it should all summer   This season I only gave it a dose of MG palm food in the spring when Palmgain was out of stock everywhere and then a dose of Palmgain again in July-ish.  I usually fertilize lighter than the package recommends though.  There's a lot of heavy feeders in his bed like the colocasia and sweet potato Vine, any chance this is a nutritional dificiency or is the wet ground finally taking its toll?

20210921_190043.jpg

20210921_190057.jpg

20210921_190101.jpg

Could be lethal yellowing which is common in this species. Or to much sitting water, after a good rainfall if it doesn't drain in two or three hours you have a watering problem.  Thats all I really know.  Maybe someone else has a better answer. 

Most likely it is a potassium deficiency that will cause discoloration and death in the bottom leaves. That would be my best guess. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Most likely it is a potassium deficiency that will cause discoloration and death in the bottom leaves. That would be my best guess. 

I would use JR classic Jacks Palm food with micro... 16 5 25.  It has a livinstonia chinensis on the pacage too, its water soluble so should work right away.  It will not fix the problem on the lower leaves but will prevent it from happening to new leaves. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's probably nutritional. Unless it's sitting in a swamp I doubt it's getting over watered. These come from areas with high annual rainfall. It may have more nutritional demand since it's recovering from the freeze. Might be worth putting down some epsom salt too.

• Upvote 2

K-mag is the quickest and cleanest (low risk of burn, won't seriously damage soil biology) way to get K + Mg in a somewhat balanced ratio (you shouldn't apply one without applying the other due to nutrient lockout). Much better and cheaper than buying a full spectrum palm fertilizer and overloading on nitrogen, especially as it's getting cooler. 

Southwest Fertilizer in Bellaire is the only place in Houston I've been able to find it 

Avoid muriate of potash/potassium chloride (0-0-60) 

Edited by Xenon
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 9/22/2021 at 6:01 PM, Xenon said:

Southwest Fertilizer in Bellaire is the only place in Houston I've been able to find it 

I stopped by yesterday and the only kmag bags they had were 50lb and I really don't have any more room for giant bags of plant stuff laying around.  So instead I bought a 600000qt bag of perlite...?.... Can I buy small bags at sayyy HGC or something and mix it myself?  Any recommendations?  I still have some MG palm food (I think) left, so if not I'll just hit it with that because I think the N is lower in MG anyway?

4 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

I stopped by yesterday and the only kmag bags they had were 50lb and I really don't have any more room for giant bags of plant stuff laying around.  So instead I bought a 600000qt bag of perlite...?.... Can I buy small bags at sayyy HGC or something and mix it myself?  Any recommendations?  I still have some MG palm food (I think) left, so if not I'll just hit it with that because I think the N is lower in MG anyway?

Sorry I should've warned you haha. Get the 50 lb bag! It's well worth the bulk discount imo. It doesn't go bad and most tropicals really like the extra hit of potassium, magnesium, and sulfur. You can also get smaller bags of potassium sulfate online and apply it together with magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) in a 3:1-5:1 ratio.  

Best palm fert at HD is Palmgain imo. MG tends to use lower quality ingredients (chloride salts and no chelated iron). 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)