Sign in to follow this  
Arecaceae78743

Help, Majesty Palm was attacked by goats & cats!

Arecaceae78743

I had this palm outside all spring and summer, no problems it 

was happy and thriving. Then last week my stupid goat escaped his pen and ate 4 frons and took a nibble out of the rest of them (he also ate my strawberry plant !) Then I come back later and find the my stupid cat was gnawing on the stems and broke 2 more frons ! In desperation I took it inside and try to clean it up but I probably made it worse :bemused:

Is there any tip y'all could give me to make this better. Thanks 

maj 1.jpg

Arecaceae78743

ZPalms
10 hours ago, Arecaceae78743 said:

I had this palm outside all spring and summer, no problems it 

was happy and thriving. Then last week my stupid goat escaped his pen and ate 4 frons and took a nibble out of the rest of them (he also ate my strawberry plant !) Then I come back later and find the my stupid cat was gnawing on the stems and broke 2 more frons ! In desperation I took it inside and try to clean it up but I probably made it worse :bemused:

Is there any tip y'all could give me to make this better. Thanks 

maj 1.jpg

I think it will be fine, you could probably cut those broke fronds off with clean pruner and leave the good leaves just wait out for new growth cause as long as it's healthy and pushing fronds then it's just a matter of waiting out for new growth :happy: I'm sure somebody else could chime and correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by ZPalms

mnorell

I don't think your Ravenea have anything to worry about from your cat! LOL I doubt cats are strong enough to snap petioles of that species, and I'm sure it was secondary to the damage already inflicted by your goat...and the goats are another matter indeed. I had to give up trying to grow any of the Ravenea species I planted in the Florida Keys because the Key Deer are VERY attracted to Ravenea foliage. They destroyed R. sambiranensis, hildebrandtii, glauca, julietiae, et al. and I finally just threw up my hands with the genus and now grow it only in my California garden (where our cats never bothered them). Unless you know your ungulates are safely housed, you will no doubt need to have your plants caged until you have a robust, large specimen. I don't know whether it's some smell in the foliage that attracts them, or a lack of something to repel them, but the sad fact is that this genus doesn't mix with, at the very least, Key Deer (which are a dwarf form of whitetail), or your goats. Also your plant looks very shade-stretched. If you grow it in full sun the whole plant will thicken its petioles and leaves, and tighten its leaflet-spacing, thus strengthening itself and making itself less susceptible to physical forces, at least.

Jesse PNW
On 9/21/2021 at 7:45 AM, mnorell said:

I don't think your Ravenea have anything to worry about from your cat! LOL I doubt cats are strong enough to snap petioles of that species,

Cats are A-holes. 

Oh look, there's a potted plant, I better go pee in it.  Hey, there's a seedling in the window sill, I should knock it on the floor!   I can't tell if these fronds taste good, better chew up a couple more, just to be sure.  

Funkthulhu

Alt take:  Your Ravenea will recover, they're hard to kill, but you can (depending where you are) probably just go buy one that's bigger and looks better for 10 or 15 bucks. (20 if you're in Nebraska)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Palm Lord
      By Palm Lord
      I was wondering if anyone has a good success story with growing Majesty Palm Trees in Zone 7. I decided to find out here. I live in the Chaussee neighborhood on Cedar Point which is an Island 2 kilometers north of Sandusky, Ohio's Battery Park Marina. All the USDA hardiness zone maps online say it is 6b or 7a but when I look where they collect the data I see it comes from the mainland. When I look at the weather it gives me Sandusky weather which is colder during the winter and warmer during the summer. Cedar Point, being an island surrounded by water, is a little different than the mainland. So of course that is a little inaccurate. This summer, I met a man named Tom who says he has been recording the temperature on Cedar Point for over 40 years and it hasn't got below five. USDA hardiness zone is calculated and determined by taking the average minimum low temperature over the course of 30 years. If the average minimum low was 5 degrees Fahrenheit it would be 7b. But that was for lowest temperature ever recorded. That wasn't even the average! I decided to experiment by planting Majesty Palms and seeing how they do seems how all my neighbors have some. Almost all of them are okay but I have one majesty palm that had some problems. I am trying to revive it but I'm pretty sure it is going to die. As usual, the Majesty Palm leaves all died but new green Spears push out during the Spring. There are new green Spears coming out of many of my Majesty Palms but a lot of them are doing spear pull. Some of them lived though. That is enough to keep me going. I will continue experimenting with palm trees. But yes, I just wanted to know if anybody else has Majesty Palms in zone 7 or zone 8? Cheers!
    • Topiary
      By Topiary
      Hi,
      First time posting, been reading the forum for almost a year and loving the community. 

Found this palm on the side of the road - it was used to stage a house and discarded- it’s now inside, humidifier running as I have other tropical plants, and is raised up out of cat reach next to a North facing window due to space
      Apartment has 12’ high ceilings, I’ve also got large windows facing West and potentially a South facing window (if I move my tropics and succulents). 

The fronds are browning quite severely and I’m slowly increasing my watering as I don’t want to shock it. It has a new frond coming up and it’s still growing well despite the ice cold temps the night I rescued it (-1 degrees C). 

I don’t want to repot it - and have read up on the dangers, but is there a way to dump out the soil and replace is with a well draining tropical mix with orchid bark without disturbing the roots? 

The soil isn’t holding any moisture, and drains slower than I’d like. It’s probably dirt cheap from a garden centre. 

Please let me know what you guys see in this one, I know it’s essentially doomed because of the climate here but if I can get it to next summer I can use a friend’s greenhouse all summer. 

Pictures are a couple weeks old, I drilled new holes into the pot for drainage, added a large mixing bowl inside the decorative pot to elevate the inner pot out of any water. 

• ElaineB
      By ElaineB
      My cousin gave me her majesty palm because she couldn’t keep it happy. I wouldn’t have gotten one myself because I know they are difficult, but now here I am. I live in upstate NY, USA, so the climate isn’t great. Summers are good but that’s the only ideal season.
      I repotted the palm in semihydro/leca, and I pruned off a bunch of bad areas. I placed in between a West and an East facing window with a grow light on it, about 12 inches above it. I have a humidifier on it all day. And am about to do my fourth and last spidermite treatment (water, peppermint castile soap, and a little cooking oil.)
      it is growing new water roots, so it seems to be happy with the semihydro. It came with three new spikes, one of which is beginning to open. The other fronds are beginning to look dry however. I don’t think it is possible that it is getting too much light from the grow bulb as the area directly under that looks ok. Is this part of the normal cycle? Should I prune it back more, or would that be detrimental to the plant? Any advice or suggestions of other things I could do for it would be greatly appreciated. 
      Thanks!
      Elaine

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I recently bought three majesty palms growing together in one pot from Lowe’s hardware. I’ve had them growing like this for about two months and they’re doing well; however, I’ve heard that they will grow faster if separated. Should I separate them or is there too much of a chance I would harm the plants by doing so?

• dwimss
      By dwimss
      Hello, 
      I have few majesty palms in my green house and they are not looking good anymore they are all dying, I dont know what to do to save them  The other palm next to them (Veitchia and Archontophoenix are looking good !)
      I feel like they are overwatered maybe ? I have read that they love water, I checked the roots and they seems okay ... 
      Pls help !