IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Solitary/single trunk dypsis lutescens.

PsyPalm

Hey guys!  Over the past year and a half I've been playing around with different methods of growing d. lutescens.  Seems like they are kind of Honda Civic of indoor palms in the sense that they are very common and inexpensive, so I started with a few clusters of approx 20-30 small seedlings and split some of them up individually into their own pots as well as some into smaller groups.  I'm a big fan of potted palms grown as solitary/single trunk specimens and I wanted to see how d. lutescens would do in that format, especially because I feel like I've never actually seen them grown to maturity as single trunk palms, seems like they are pretty much exclusively grown in clumps/clusters.  

So far my individually potted specimens have been doing well and are turning out to be even more beautiful that I'd imagined as single trunk palms, their delicate blade-like pinnae are quite stunning in this format :D I'm wondering if anyone has grown solitary d. lutescens like this and if so could you share any pictures/experience?  Very curious to see pictures of larger trunking d. lutescens as standalone palms, haven't been able to find much online in that regard.  Thanks in advance! 

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

Rainbow Palm.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

@palmsOrl cheers!  I got my original palm clusters on etsy for cheap and separated them out/grew them up from there, here's a link if you're interested in doing something similar!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/942633296/areca-palm-in-6-grow-pot?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=areca+palm&ref=sr_gallery-1-11&organic_search_click=1&pro=1

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, PsyPalm said:

I'm wondering if anyone has grown solitary d. lutescens like this and if so could you share any pictures/experience?

I have probably 75-100 individually potted some as an experiment. I'll have to check and see if some of the older ones are trunking and don't currently have any pics of the older ones because they're rarely mentioned by anyone as singles. IIRC a while back @PalmatierMeg mentioned she had a good size single.

My experiment is based on the small percentage of Dypsis lutescens that put out suckers well above ground level. They look kinda like branches and usually have funky looking fronds.  I decided a few years ago I wanted to try to grow singles with the "branching" feature as I thought they'd be kinda cool looking planted as a single and used as a focal point somewhere (because ya, weird plant guy). The weird stunted curled fronds (only on the "branches") remind me of the "birds nest" abnormality seen occasionally on conifers.  Anyway, a couple years ago I removed all the Dl flowers within 50' of a plant I have in a clump which has the "branching" feature. The particular plant has several aerial suckers some as high as 4-5 feet above the ground. At the same time I trimmed the fronds of the other plants in the clump to promote seed production. Mature DL seems to be more likely to flower and produce seed when the crownshaft it hit by direct sunlight. So my hope was/is that I would get some seeds that had the branching characteristic in their DNA.

I germinated all the seeds from the plant and potted them all individually except for some I sent as seedlings to members here.  They're almost three years old IIRC and I don't really pay much attention to them since they're still short and I've got a lot of other plants to attend to. The potentially branching ones are under the Coconuts in the pic below as their summer in filtered sun comes to a close. They'll be re-potted around the winter solstice and get full sun beginning then and through next season.

If I have time, I'll look tomorrow and see if I can get pics of larger singles, I've got hundreds of potted Dypsis lutescens, most multiples but I know I've also got singles, doubles, and triples.

20210920_123123(1).jpg?width=1920&height

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I had a few minutes when it wasn't raining today so I pulled a couple of the little guys out from the group in the pic I posted above. They seemed a bit camera shy being their first photo shoot but all survived and no plants were harmed.

These were all germinated at the same time and planted as singles. They're just shy of three years old, about 3' tall,  and have been grown with the same conditions of soil, water, and fertilizer. One on left has normal sucker, center has a sucker with the abnormal appearing fronds the "branching" ones have, and the right one is just still single.

20210921_162446.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210921_162503.jpg?width=1920&height=10

• Upvote 1

Pulled some two gal singles, trimmed off suckers, and moved up to 3 gal. They're just starting to trunk. While working with them I was thinking about suckering and it seems to me that they're more likely to sucker when direct sunlight hits the base. If you look at clumps of mature ones here the ones on the outside of the clump sucker where sun hits the base while plants in the middle of the clump are less likely to sucker. Makes me wonder if they might not sucker much when grown indoor.

20210922_135033.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210922_135105.jpg?width=1920&height=10

• Like 1

While messing with the 2 gal singles I also was reminded of another ongoing experiment. Some Dypsis lutescens here have very thin stems compared with others. I want to find out if it's genetic or an environmental thing so I collected seed from a clump of the thin stem ones last year and germinated them in a community pot as I would for the rest of the regular ones. Will see in a couple years. Your singles for indoor use has me thinking maybe I'll separate a few of them off as singles next time I re-pot.

20210921_192420.jpg?width=1920&height=10

Ones in pics below are the thin stem type. Smaller fronds with much shorter petioles and usually have less or no suckers. They don't seem to grow as fast or as large. Might be better for growing as singles indoor?

20200205_152419_zpsk5zyclab.jpg?width=19

20200205_152529_zpsdme24ylx.jpg?width=19

Nevermind the Dyps, what's that Caudex in the first couple pics?

• Like 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

On 9/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, NOT A TA said:

Pulled some two gal singles, trimmed off suckers, and moved up to 3 gal. They're just starting to trunk. While working with them I was thinking about suckering and it seems to me that they're more likely to sucker when direct sunlight hits the base. If you look at clumps of mature ones here the ones on the outside of the clump sucker where sun hits the base while plants in the middle of the clump are less likely to sucker. Makes me wonder if they might not sucker much when grown indoor.

20210922_135033.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20210922_135105.jpg?width=1920&height=10

These look great, pics of this stage are just what I'm looking for!  Cheers :D

• 5 months later...
On 9/30/2021 at 3:06 PM, Funkthulhu said:

Nevermind the Dyps, what's that Caudex in the first couple pics?

I was also wondering this. It's almost certainly a Dioon of some sort. The wide separation of the leaflets suggests D. capultoi, but these are rather uncommon, so it could well be another species with etiolated fronds due to low light.