IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Golden Grapes..

Silas_Sancona

As if i-Phones weren't already a scam, How about $90.00 - $450.00 for 1 bunch of grapes ( ..$1000.00 if  " Premium " )   Talk about wasting  money, Smh :rolleyes:

..One bunch sold at an Auction for ... $12,000!  That is $400.00  ~Per GRAPE~  :bemused:

This is a big deal in Japan. Happens with a lot of fruit, especially mangoes. Some of the "best" mangoes are greenhouse grown in Hokkaido, a climate completely unsuited for them.

The tradition of giving fruit as a gift in Japan goes way back. Of course, the more rare and expensive, the better it is. Obviously, Joe Blows like @necturus and @Silas_Sancona aren't buying this stuff - it's for the rich and powerful. :winkie:  There's plenty of affordable fruit too.

7 minutes ago, necturus said:

This is a big deal in Japan. Happens with a lot of fruit, especially mangoes. Some of the "best" mangoes are greenhouse grown in Hokkaido, a climate completely unsuited for them.

The tradition of giving fruit as a gift in Japan goes way back. Of course, the more rare and expensive, the better it is. Obviously, Joe Blows like @necturus and @Silas_Sancona aren't buying this stuff - it's for the rich and powerful. :winkie:  There's plenty of affordable fruit too.

:greenthumb: Especially when grown in my own yard... 

As for the rich and powerful..  I have my doubts.  Definitions may vary.

A friend of mine who was a performer with a famous dance troupe always enjoyed the appreciation and generosity of the Japanese audience.  Fruit was a frequent gift.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Manalto said:

Never again will I complain about the price of muscadines.

@Manalto are you talking about the wild grapes that grow out in the woods?
We have those vines everywhere here and they fruit prolifically. I never new they were sold in grocery stores - I've never seen them! 

11 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@Manalto are you talking about the wild grapes that grow out in the woods?
We have those vines everywhere here and they fruit prolifically. I never knew they were sold in grocery stores - I've never seen them! 

Yes, Vitis rotundifolia. They're the wild grape, but they've also been in cultivation for hundreds of years, to select for particular qualities, as plant breeders do.  The flavor of the cultivated varieties is rich, complex and sweet; I think they may be hit-or-miss in the wild. I've seen them in a couple of stores here in Mobile lately, presumably because they're in season.  AKA Scuppernongs. Some people dislike them because of their thickish skin and because they're not seedless (This is understandable because spitting out a grape seed is such a grueling task.) I find them irresistible. I have one vine growing in my yard, but need another to serve as a pollinator.

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2

@Manalto If you've got seeds in the store bought grapes its likely you could germinate them and plant nearby. They seem to pop up everywhere here. I wouldn't think it would be difficult at all.

5 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@Manalto If you've got seeds in the store bought grapes its likely you could germinate them and plant nearby. They seem to pop up everywhere here. I wouldn't think it would be difficult at all.

Yes but what if the grapes are no good? Wasted time and effort. I'd rather spring for a cultivated variety and know what the result is going to be.

• Like 1