IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any abutilon experts

Matt in OC

It was doing fine until a few days ago. I’ve been giving it supplemental water and a dose of fresh mulch to no immediate benefit. Doesn’t appear to be a while fly issue. I gave it a systemic insecticide yesterday though. Wood is still green. I pruned it a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?

3C40AC79-6BFC-418D-93E2-1266468502A0.jpeg

97F1115E-E23E-4B1A-B276-9A4A5B51B39E.jpeg

I'm no expert but I do grow several of them, some are small tree size, some are vining.  

I have one in a pot that does the same thing by the end of summer. For me it from drought and afternoon heat hitting the plant. The leave curl and dye off and then new growth happens.  As long as its not bug problem then it should recover. 

So you have a lot of reflected heat off the brick wall?

Have you thought about letting it grow upward and not pruning back ( stems will grow thicker) or are you trying to keep it small and bushy? The stems on yours looks like a young plant? 

Anyone else have any information?

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

I'm no expert but I do grow several of them, some are small tree size, some are vining.  

I have one in a pot that does the same thing by the end of summer. For me it from drought and afternoon heat hitting the plant. The leave curl and dye off and then new growth happens.  As long as its not bug problem then it should recover. 

So you have a lot of reflected heat off the brick wall?

Have you thought about letting it grow upward and not pruning back ( stems will grow thicker) or are you trying to keep it small and bushy? The stems on yours looks like a young plant? 

Anyone else have any information?

That would definitely be my guess, but I'm surprised it hasn't corrected by now. The wall is north facing and in very little direct sunlight. This abutilon grows very low and bushy. It was hanging way out, so that's why I pruned it back. The plant has been in the ground a few years, I think, and never had too much trouble with it. Hopefully it will correct soon. 

It’s actually starting to look worse, if that’s possible. Any chance it could be related to the thriving Syngonium next to it?

41 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

It’s actually starting to look worse, if that’s possible. Any chance it could be related to the thriving Syngonium next to it?

Possible...  They could be competing for water / moisture.. or simply smothering it.. I'm wondering if something got the roots, esp. going with you mentioning it was doing fine for awhile, then suddenly heading south. Where you have it ( exposure-wise ) sounds fine, so that shouldn't be what caused what you're experiencing..  Anythings possible though i suppose.

Having maintained these for a few years at a nursery i'd worked for, noticed Hybrid Abutilon can be weird.. some are tough, seemingly tolerating some abuse, others seemed to be more fragile / weak from the start..

• Upvote 1

Is there any chance that a nearby plant is producing an allelopathic toxin from its root zone, the way black walnut produces juglone? I have noticed a similar condition with some species under hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) and I understand turfgrass can have a growth-inhibiting effect on some trees and shrubs planted in a lawn with no ring cut. What do you think of potting it up and nursing it back to health that way?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your help. I decided to pull the Syngonium since I probably don’t want it there for long anyway. We’ll see if that helps. 

7C37A356-B81B-45C7-B9B6-0308F341FCBD.jpeg

24741915-CF24-42CE-B0B4-D18DDEE83F66.jpeg

When the old growth fall off, keep an eye on the new grow that will follow in a month or so.  Just making sure it grow with out any problems. 

Some abutilon are more fussy then others.  Do you know the name of this one?

I don’t remember the name. It’s very bushy in habit, not upright like another one I have, with variegated leaves and orange flowers. 

57 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

I don’t remember the name. It’s very bushy in habit, not upright like another one I have, with variegated leaves and orange flowers. 

Thanks for the description that really helps.  

Yeah I have one of those too and they are fussy.  Hates heat and dry soil at the same time.

Is this what it looks like or are the leaves darker green and yellow?

unnamed.jpg