IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why grow arms..when you can grow feet???

SailorBold

My now 6 foot+ terscheckii has decided to grow feet..  and it has developed a slight lean...  not sure what I should do about it.. and not sure if I want 4-5 (I think) huge stems coming from the base.. or if I should stake it?  It's a noticeable lean.... but the plant isn't super wobbly.. 

Should I leave it alone?? Or??

20210917_183356.jpg

20210917_183322.jpg

20210917_183316.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

3 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

My now 6 foot+ terscheckii has decided to grow feet..  and it has developed a slight lean...  not sure what I should do about it.. and not sure if I want 4-5 (I think) huge stems coming from the base.. or if I should stake it?  It's a noticeable lean.... but the plant isn't super wobbly.. 

Should I leave it alone?? Or??

20210917_183356.jpg

20210917_183322.jpg

20210917_183316.jpg

A slight lean is fine.. See many Saguaro / Cardon that went through a similar phase sometime during their life..  Some of my Echinocereus / Echinopsis will also lean a bit as they grow.  More concerning is if the lean is very obvious, and the plant seems loose when you give it a push. Can be a sign of root rot.  Yours looks fine.  Do see part of the stem did split a little at some point, but has healed over. Shouldn't lead to any stability issues.

The " Toes? " Let them develop until big enough to remove ( wayy too small now ) then amputate and plant / re- root somewhere else ( or pass around to others if you don't want them )

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Would you suggest staking at all?

....I  guess you could, but it would likely continue to do it's own thing ( you'd have to put together something that could counter act all the weight in that beast )..  Can see how the top might have expanded a touch faster than the base, which might explain part of the reason of any lean. Imagine the base should catch up, not stay skinnier than the top ( @Tom in Tucson  any thoughts? )
Extra water might also soften the soil enough to cause a lean as well.

• Like 1

I prefer to use a large rock at the base of the plant. Slightly nudge the plant in the opposite direction and wedge the rock in. Repeat the process until the roots are holding it upright. It works for barrel cactus and other plants as well. It also looks better than staking.

Hi 98˚, Lo 77˚ cloudy

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

29 minutes ago, Tom in Tucson said:

I prefer to use a large rock at the base of the plant. Slightly nudge the plant in the opposite direction and wedge the rock in. Repeat the process until the roots are holding it upright. It works for barrel cactus and other plants as well. It also looks better than staking.

Hi 98˚, Lo 77˚ cloudy

Will do...  Thank you!  i wouldnt say its wobbly... but it is top heavy..  Im wondering if wind may have done it...

Edited by SailorBold

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Ok.. it may be growing an arm...

20210928_083000.jpg

Could also be flowering - please keep us apprised. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...