Sign in to follow this  
miamicuse

Please help suggest palms outside my wood fences

miamicuse

I would like some input to what type of palms may be appropriate for planting outside of my wood fences.

I am located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, zone 10b.

The wood fence is 6' tall, runs in a north south direction.  There is a narrow strip of dirt about 32" wide between the wood fence and the concrete sidewalk along the entire 75' length of the wood fence.  Currently I have planted a mix of Simpson Stoppers and Jamaican Capers all along the fence.

IMG_20210916_175843.jpg.360fc30a550b0b3625767d57811d7770.jpg

I would like to plant something a bit taller every 12' or so, may be palms, small palms not too tall, with roots not to exceed 24" deep (there is a sewer line under there about 28" down), solitary trunk type palms that do not spread in a cluster.

Any suggestions?

Kailua_Krish

They aren't solitary but what about one variety of calyptrocalyx like boalak?

miamicuse
10 hours ago, Kailua_Krish said:

They aren't solitary but what about one variety of calyptrocalyx like boalak?

Thank you, I will look into it but doesn't a calyptrocalyx need to be in filtered light or shade?  What I have is a lot of sun especially from the east in the morning till 3pm.

EJ;)

Parrot palms? true name Syagrus schizophylla

I dont believe their roots are very deep. A very under utilized palm. 

DCA_Palm_Fan

How about going Native and planting some Florida Silver Palms (coccothrinax argentata).  They are small palms, solitary, slower growing, and look like they would fit great in the space.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kailua_Krish

At least where I live in Hawaii (Im not in cloudy/rainforest Hilo, Im in a dry costal area) they can tolerate a fair amount of sun especially Yamutumune but boalak tolerates sun well too. You might want to see what the other SoFlo people think. The nice part about them is they grow fast and are at Floribunda so would be easy to get a big order of them

EJ;)

being that it is a fence line, you could also plant something Pokey lol

to keep people and animals away from the fence. consider a local cactus or clumping bamboo?