IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Growing Season 21/22

Tyrone

I thought I’d start a new topic seeing that we technically are no longer in winter.

However September down here still feels like winter but with some warm days stuck in amongst the wet cold weather. It’s actually quite a teaser really, especially after such a wet winter. I’m waiting for the place to dry out but have already started planting new things out, some R sapida, Archontophoenix and Pandanus furcatus and Ficus macrophylla. But winter is dragging its heels and I’ve lost or am losing things to root rot. I’ve got water pooling in areas that were basically bone dry in winters past. Just gotta learn from the experience I suppose.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The weather here has been a bit all over, four separate sprinkles of rain over the past six weeks totalling 17.2mm. But the weather in between dries it off instantly.

n210917.JPG.b01614be0dbdceeb7c61a825eaaa0bfd.JPG

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

The weather here has been a bit all over, four separate sprinkles of rain over the past six weeks totalling 17.2mm. But the weather in between dries it off instantly.

n210917.JPG.b01614be0dbdceeb7c61a825eaaa0bfd.JPG

Beautiful weather up your way at the moment. Gotta get myself back to the NT at some stage. Go for walks amongst all the Carpentarias. I miss being able to grow them. They were one of my favourites. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's too dry though. Supposed to have been an early wet but not here. Some other places have had good falls already.

I wrapped everything the Sat just been for hopefully last time until next winter, knowing it was 98% likely unnecessary. Had a low of 2.2C so need not have bothered. Even the early leaves budding on grapevine saw no effect. 

Was   pleased how the bananas started to push new leaves while it was still winter. Picture was August 28th, one stem  has had a full leaf out for more than a week now and second must not be too far from emerging, the other has the first leaf out and open now.

I think  the A. Alexandrae will make it, it has stabilised now with 1.5 leaves still green, and the spear looks good still, just not moving yet. 

20210829_093451.jpg

20210828_141835.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Was   pleased how the bananas started to push new leaves while it was still winter.

I spotted an 80% defoliated banana here this morning that has already pushed out almost one new leaf. 

I also noticed that some large American Sweetgums (Liquidambar styraciflua) down our street have almost opened new leaf buds which is quite a few weeks earlier than usual. Hopefully a good sign?

Got a beautiful couple of sunny 23C days down here starting today then another on Sunday. Glad to see more days getting above 20C now. A few days without any rain as well which feels new. What I wouldn’t give for a fortnight or even a week without a drop of rain. That may not happen until November. 

With this warmer and wet weather everything is really taking off including all the bad weeds. Wandering jew, Jasmine. The battle of raking up and poisoning continues lol.

• Upvote 1

We had 39.7 today, so two consecutive days of 39+ with more lining up in the coming days. Average maximum for September so far is 36.6. The outlook is for this dry heat to continue to at least the end of the month.

• Upvote 1

Record Sept heat at the Darwin Airport.
cmHNXD1.jpg
dr9jyMO.jpg
Clear delineation of when the sea breeze pushes in, lowering the temps and raising DP's and humidity.
sxIX7ul.jpg

• Upvote 1

It’s the Southern Hemisphere spring equinox today. Looking forward to a good growing season. 

This is not my data  but a wundergnd station in the same town. That afternoon rain was scary, saw it as still working from home indirectly due to covid.  60mm/hr for 20 min or so. Never had water enter this place or even garage in 20 years, but if that rain rate had kept up for an hour or two that could have been a risk.

20210924_071829.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well the eldersweather site tipped September to be a decile 3 rain event which I thought sounded good because we have had way too much rain. We average around 100mm so a decile 3 would have been like 50 or 60mm. Wrong!!!! We got a whopping 162mm of rain. Probably a decile 9 or even 10. So we are now just shy of 1100mm for the year so far. 

I am so over this. No ground is solid on my property any more. It’s all soft and squishy. Some palms that survived last years record frost without any damage have just died from drowning, even water loving species. For the last 5 months we would not have had even one rain free week. I have springs popping up in places where water is following underground clay layers and just popping up and running everywhere. The water is all coming from the neighbours properties. My bore hole I use to irrigate the garden now just oozes water continuously without the need for the pump. It’s now an artesian well! 

The weather has warmed up slightly but now the weeds are growing so fast and luxuriantly. These last two winters are really testing my metal I tell ya. 

On a positive note all my Rhopalostylis are looking awesome and growing like the luxuriant weeds. I think I’ll just plant thousands of them. 

• Like 1

Well we still are not getting rain free days. The total for the year for my area has now gone past 1100mm with 1102mm to this morning. I thought I’d look around the country at what has fallen this year to compare.

Albany Airport 997.8mm

Albany Town 964.4mm

Perth 741.2mm

Bunbury 840.2mm

Busselton 726.8mm

Geraldton 376.3mm

Kununurra 535.4mm

Adelaide 401.4mm

Melbourne 466.4mm 

Hobart 390.8mm

Sydney 976.0mm

Port Macquarie 1457.0mm

Brisbane 854.0mm

Mackay 997.4mm

Cairns 2264.2mm

Darwin 1277.6mm

Millbrook WA 1102mm 

I tried to find a year to date figure for Auckland NZ but couldn’t find one. However Auckland gets 1114mm per year on average, so I can say that we are having the equivalent to a wet year in Auckland.

My area has had more rainfall than the two official sites in town. Both sites missed the full ferocity of the June 21 cyclonic event that flooded my property and washed away two main roads and a railway line in places. 

Interesting looking at the figures that the closest two places listed to my area are Sydney and Mackay, with slightly less rainfall than here. But the only three places listed to exceed the rainfall are Port Macquarie (1457mm) Darwin (1277.6mm) and Cairns (2264.2mm), which is telling. Nothing beats the rainfall totals in the wet tropics and Port Macquarie nearly got washed out to sea earlier this year in record floods. 

Was speaking to an old family member yesterday who’s been here since the 1950s and worked as a gardener for decades and he has never seen a year as wet as this. 

It's misleading to quote calendar year rainfall accumulation for northern areas and compare them to southern figures. The rain in the north comes over a much shorter period then there's a long hot dry season. In the tropics rainfall is looked at in terms of wet seasons and not calendar years.

Mediterranean pattern rainfall ie summer dry/winter wet not particularly conjucive to palm growth ( thriving that is ). Cold and damp wet feet, can sorta get away with a wet year or two in say Perth with the sandy well draining soils, but it seems that a 40" winter on the Southern coast may well be problamatic ?
Mind you, its all a learning curve, "eh ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tropicbreeze said:

It's misleading to quote calendar year rainfall accumulation for northern areas and compare them to southern figures. The rain in the north comes over a much shorter period then there's a long hot dry season. In the tropics rainfall is looked at in terms of wet seasons and not calendar years.

True. You need to remember that when looking at the data. But rainfall is rainfall, you cant deny that. 

I do not believe all of you in Australia, NZ, etc realize what an outstanding climate you have. Not to mention the incredible land!

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

10 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Well we still are not getting rain free days. The total for the year for my area has now gone past 1100mm with 1102mm to this morning. I thought I’d look around the country at what has fallen this year to compare.

Albany Airport 997.8mm

Albany Town 964.4mm

Perth 741.2mm

Bunbury 840.2mm

Busselton 726.8mm

Geraldton 376.3mm

Kununurra 535.4mm

Adelaide 401.4mm

Melbourne 466.4mm 

Hobart 390.8mm

Sydney 976.0mm

Port Macquarie 1457.0mm

Brisbane 854.0mm

Mackay 997.4mm

Cairns 2264.2mm

Darwin 1277.6mm

Millbrook WA 1102mm 

I tried to find a year to date figure for Auckland NZ but couldn’t find one. However Auckland gets 1114mm per year on average, so I can say that we are having the equivalent to a wet year in Auckland.

My area has had more rainfall than the two official sites in town. Both sites missed the full ferocity of the June 21 cyclonic event that flooded my property and washed away two main roads and a railway line in places. 

Interesting looking at the figures that the closest two places listed to my area are Sydney and Mackay, with slightly less rainfall than here. But the only three places listed to exceed the rainfall are Port Macquarie (1457mm) Darwin (1277.6mm) and Cairns (2264.2mm), which is telling. Nothing beats the rainfall totals in the wet tropics and Port Macquarie nearly got washed out to sea earlier this year in record floods. 

Was speaking to an old family member yesterday who’s been here since the 1950s and worked as a gardener for decades and he has never seen a year as wet as this. 

I'm surprised just how wet it has been 'down under' in 2021. Especially in WA with 741mm / 30 inches already in Perth and 1000mm / 40 inches in Albany almost. Considering we are only 3/4 of the way through the year, Tyrone, 1100mm for your location is still pretty extreme for anywhere in southwest WA. Any idea what the record annual precipitation is for Perth and Albany? I'm assuming 2021 is on course to be the wettest year though, potentially, for both Perth and Albany, as it stands?

We have had a very, very wet year too in the south of England this year, far wetter than any of the past 5 years here. However I am still only on 514mm / 20 inches for the year so far. Usually I would have had about 430mm by now, so we are about 85mm over that, although that can be expected in a wetter than average year. It looks like some parts of east London and Kent are still as low as 450mm though. That is still a fair bit above the long-term average for them though. As I am writing this it has just started raining here.

Generally speaking it has been far wetter than average in most of Europe though in 2021. Similar to Australia. Similar to the eastern USA and Texas. Large parts of Asia and Africa have been abnormally wet too. Perhaps climate change is making many places wetter than they used to be, with heavier rainfalls, interspaced with more extreme droughts. I didn't have a single drop of rainfall in April, which was immediately followed by my wettest May on record. After all this rain, you guys will probably barely register any rainfall at all in WA between November - February. 

Are you guys running colder than average this year too, or right now at this moment? Apart from the slightly colder nights in your location, your temperatures are pretty similar to mine right now. That can't be right for early October surely? Even Perth still seems on the cooler side for October now. I thought you guys are usually a bit warmer than that come October? I don't know whether you are experiencing a 'bad' start to spring this year, temperature-wise? Or are those temperatures normal for early October...?

271547889_Screenshot2021-10-03at14_48_39.thumb.png.3b434cc56a56c2af4db66fba452518d2.png

225559277_Screenshot2021-10-03at14_47_53.thumb.png.f166303a82962396a961f16ff7a42d5f.png

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

14 hours ago, Tyrone said:

True. You need to remember that when looking at the data. But rainfall is rainfall, you cant deny that. 

But you're comparing half a northern wet season to your whole wet season (winter). Let's compare your autumn/winter/spring (May to September) to that of say Kununurra. You know your total for that period. For Kununurra it's 0.6mm.

2 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

But you're comparing half a northern wet season to your whole wet season (winter). Let's compare your autumn/winter/spring (May to September) to that of say Kununurra. You know your total for that period. For Kununurra it's 0.6mm.

That wasn’t the purpose of me quoting those figures to say “who has better wet seasons”. If that was what I was doing I would have waited for 12 months and taken the total then. If I went January to December I would have included parts of two northern wet seasons. So in some respects that process would have been comparable. 

The northern tropics monsoon season would beat any wet season in the south for pure rainfall.

But as you asked here are my May to September figures.

May 221mm

June 196mm

July 214mm

August 85mm

September 162mm

Total 878mm

Our average annual rainfall here is around 920mm. The driest year ever recorded here was around 600mm in 2014 which if my memory serves me correctly is about Melbournes average annual rainfall. 

And depending where the gauge is located within the Albany region, the rainfall can differ somewhat. The Town site has rain records back to 1877.  And two sites at the Airport with combined records since 1963.
Town Site
1871938520_Capture.JPGAlbany.JPG.f60e3505a85cf8fb2b61fa5f188fb0e1.JPG
Airport 1963=2014
326490287_Capture.JPGAlbanyAirport.JPG.d52173d4353baf6f79f03c8eb9acccaa.JPG
Airport since 2012, but only 5 years completed data
1667598540_Capture.JPGAlbanyAirport1.JPG.a7dd644e7673ba32b3be1644f9cabee0.JPG

5 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

And depending where the gauge is located within the Albany region, the rainfall can differ somewhat. The Town site has rain records back to 1877.  And two sites at the Airport with combined records since 1963.
Town Site
1871938520_Capture.JPGAlbany.JPG.f60e3505a85cf8fb2b61fa5f188fb0e1.JPG
Airport 1963=2014
326490287_Capture.JPGAlbanyAirport.JPG.d52173d4353baf6f79f03c8eb9acccaa.JPG
Airport since 2012, but only 5 years completed data
1667598540_Capture.JPGAlbanyAirport1.JPG.a7dd644e7673ba32b3be1644f9cabee0.JPG

Very true. This place varies a lot. Also in later years the airport figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I know that from a very reliable source. 

9 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I'm surprised just how wet it has been 'down under' in 2021. Especially in WA with 741mm / 30 inches already in Perth and 1000mm / 40 inches in Albany almost. Considering we are only 3/4 of the way through the year, Tyrone, 1100mm for your location is still pretty extreme for anywhere in southwest WA. Any idea what the record annual precipitation is for Perth and Albany? I'm assuming 2021 is on course to be the wettest year though, potentially, for both Perth and Albany, as it stands?

We have had a very, very wet year too in the south of England this year, far wetter than any of the past 5 years here. However I am still only on 514mm / 20 inches for the year so far. Usually I would have had about 430mm by now, so we are about 85mm over that, although that can be expected in a wetter than average year. It looks like some parts of east London and Kent are still as low as 450mm though. That is still a fair bit above the long-term average for them though. As I am writing this it has just started raining here.

Generally speaking it has been far wetter than average in most of Europe though in 2021. Similar to Australia. Similar to the eastern USA and Texas. Large parts of Asia and Africa have been abnormally wet too. Perhaps climate change is making many places wetter than they used to be, with heavier rainfalls, interspaced with more extreme droughts. I didn't have a single drop of rainfall in April, which was immediately followed by my wettest May on record. After all this rain, you guys will probably barely register any rainfall at all in WA between November - February. 

Are you guys running colder than average this year too, or right now at this moment? Apart from the slightly colder nights in your location, your temperatures are pretty similar to mine right now. That can't be right for early October surely? Even Perth still seems on the cooler side for October now. I thought you guys are usually a bit warmer than that come October? I don't know whether you are experiencing a 'bad' start to spring this year, temperature-wise? Or are those temperatures normal for early October...?

271547889_Screenshot2021-10-03at14_48_39.thumb.png.3b434cc56a56c2af4db66fba452518d2.png

225559277_Screenshot2021-10-03at14_47_53.thumb.png.f166303a82962396a961f16ff7a42d5f.png

Yes, our two locations don’t look too much different. Are we cooler than average? No it’s normal. We actually had a warm winter with no frosts either, but it still was chilly. For Australian standards anyway. 

Down on the south coast we are technically Mediterranean, due to a winter rainfall peak and reduction in summer. This year the lowest rainfall was 30mm in March, whereas all the summer months were wetter, tending more to an Oceanic summer. But even though we are classified Mediterranean, that doesn’t mean we have weeks or months of no rain in summer. The only rainless month down here was February 1879. Every month since has recorded rain. It’s not like Perth and the real Mediterranean which can go for months without rain. We don’t, and the resulting humidity is always higher down here with morning dew almost every summer morning unlike Perth. We don’t grow cereal crops on this section of the south coast as it’s too humid to harvest. It’s sheep and cattle and dairies. Farmers may grow wheat and oats just to make hay for stock feed. To grow cereals you have to go at least 50kms inland or east into the mallee country. 

The highest rainfall recorded was 1395.2mm in 1955 and driest was 620.5mm in 2015. For Perth the highest was 1338.8mm in 1945 and lowest 466.8mm in 2006. 

So this year likely won’t set any records for rainfall even though it’s been very wet. 

• 2 weeks later...

First significant rain today for this wet season, so far. Got 54mm in just under an hour.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

First significant rain today for this wet season, so far. Got 54mm in just under an hour.

That’s decent rain. 

Its rained here 11 out of the 14 days of October. Got a big frontal system coming through on Monday night. Initially models were saying 50-100mm. Now it’s dropping off thankfully. My place just couldn’t handle that amount rain. 

Well I see that Perth got to 33C yesterday. We are going for 21C today and have awoken to a humid 14C and impending thunderstorms. We don’t need any more rain. Yesterday was a fine and a bit windy day and the grass dried out a tad. Rain is never far away from this place. No wonder the original inhabitants called this place “Kinjarling” or “place of rain” in their language. 

They reckon Perth might get as much as 65mm between Monday and Wednesday, pretty impressive considering its mid October, that would be impressive in July or August. It's been a funny year weather-wise.

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2021 at 8:51 PM, tropicbreeze said:

The Noonamah Badlands scored well outta that storm. Not a single drop in the Northern Suburbs.  I've recorded 18.8mm since Sept 1st.  So much for the predictions of good early build up rains.
Yesterday was a rather 'trying' day to say the least ! 35c and DP of 24c around 1.00pm at the Airport
yizAQBp.jpg

2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

The Noonamah Badlands scored well outta that storm. Not a single drop in the Northern Suburbs.  I've recorded 18.8mm since Sept 1st.  So much for the predictions of good early build up rains.
Yesterday was a rather 'trying' day to say the least ! 35c and DP of 24c around 1.00pm at the Airport
yizAQBp.jpg

Hopefully you get a nice soaking soon that freshens everything up. I’ve only been to the NT once and while we were there we had one night of over 80mm and thunderstorms that lasted more than 8 hrs. It was fantastic and I’m glad we got to experience a proper NT build up storm. Totally awesome. 

20 hours ago, sandgroper said:

They reckon Perth might get as much as 65mm between Monday and Wednesday, pretty impressive considering its mid October, that would be impressive in July or August. It's been a funny year weather-wise.

I’m kind of reluctant to ask, but how is your coconut going? Is it going to make it? 

20 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

I’m kind of reluctant to ask, but how is your coconut going? Is it going to make it? 

It's not looking good Tyrone, the little one is completely cactus, the big one might pull through but it's not looking too good. It had zero protection at all this winter and as you know we had near record rainfall in July, I don't think that helped it's cause at all. I suppose I'll know in a few weeks whether it will survive or not but it's very unhappy to say the least.

21 hours ago, sandgroper said:

It's not looking good Tyrone, the little one is completely cactus, the big one might pull through but it's not looking too good. It had zero protection at all this winter and as you know we had near record rainfall in July, I don't think that helped it's cause at all. I suppose I'll know in a few weeks whether it will survive or not but it's very unhappy to say the least.

I feel for you. I’ve been there myself. Winter rainfall is the killer for Cocos. 

I wonder how the one on Morley Drive in Dianella is going? I bet it looks beaten up or possibly worse. 

• Like 1

The suns out today and 23C. Then we go back into rain and cool before a 26C forecast for Sunday. 

18 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Awful night for sleeping......

Capture.JPG 2.JPG

241232217_10159756207669873_1613745832104282673_n.jpg

Too warm.

Still got the fire running down here. Wish it would warm up a few degrees. 

Got a sunny 20C day today then 26C tomorrow before we descend back into winter and rain next week. Even got a rainy 14C max in next week. Hopefully that is the last of those sorts of temps for this year as we are almost November.

6CEE3735-76C8-4E15-A8F8-4D0466BD1851.jpeg

• Like 1

Winter came back this week. Perth had enough hail to fill up eskies with. Just rainy and miserable again down here. We arent even averaging 20C max yet. I think October is around 19.1C. 

We've had the second wettest July on record and now either the wettest or second wettest October on record! What a strange year.

• Like 1

Well this spring is taking its time to warm up. Beginning of Nov and it still feels like winter. Still in the teens down here with clouds and cold westerly drissle ladened wind. Only a month from summer. We may not get summer this year. Welcome to the new Northern Ireland downunder. Lol

• Like 1