IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere Growing Season 21/22

Tyrone

11 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Perth's no better Tyrone, Melbourne cup day, it's 10 00am and I'm wearing a jumper! Incredible really.

Yes, I remember when living in Perth by Melbourne Cup day there is a definite change in the air with summer just around the corner. Wearing a jumper on cup day in Perth is really unusual. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Looks like the computer models are predicting a cooler wetter summer than average down here with warmer than average nights. That basically means a lot of cloud cover and possibly summer thunderstorms. Probably good growing weather with decent humidity and heat waves less likely. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

After the hellish build up conditions of the last 2 months, finally the first week of November has delivered some wellcome rain. A series of noisy storms has made their way through the Darwin region this morning.

Capture.JPG

249649386_676217120013442_5634613509520169157_n.jpg

250600818_420416043008749_2338508847472211605_n.jpg

250701269_10159813637732764_9208067143178879332_n.jpg

251064024_603884850860538_6879110044103665127_n.jpg

251511684_3147758978786443_8930622640715751412_n.jpg

251999780_1879783398891051_3794644393761608841_n.jpg

252152140_274427174605572_7409691446823648180_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I love Darwin storms. Everything will be lapping up that rain.

Been cool down here. About 3C below average during the day with southerly winds and nearly 100% cloud cover, but very little rain which is a bonus. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, greysrigging said:

After the hellish build up conditions of the last 2 months, finally the first week of November has delivered some wellcome rain. A series of noisy storms has made their way through the Darwin region this morning.

Had to go back and check the time stamp on that post. Thought I''d somehow got onto posts from last wet season.

Half your luck!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Had to go back and check the time stamp on that post. Thought I''d somehow got onto posts from last wet season.

Half your luck!

+80mm in the coastal suburbs Lyons and Muirhead. a few klm inland at Leanyer I had 24mm. Mind you, not complaining , near 90mm the first 7 days of the month for me !

What I wouldn’t give to see some blue sky and sunshine. Just been gloomy for days down here with 100% constant cloud cover. The next 10 days look to continue like it. We didn’t get spring this year. Winter started in May and hasn’t gone away yet. 

Had an above average Oct temp wise but was very cloudy so it didn't necessary feel it. Summer like weather this week however, been recording 26 to 27C each day and mostly wall to wall sunshine. The A Alexandrea has pushed a spear almost right out, it should open soon. Remains to be seen if it can regrow a full crown before next winter and be strong enough to survive next winter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As far as average maximums go, October was cooler than September and November is cooler than October so far. The maximums are going the wrong way. Minimums are slowly climbing though, but essentially we are no warmer than August at the moment. We are only averaging 17.5C maximum in November!!

The difference between the south coast and the west coast of WA up near Perth is enormous today. Perth is forecast for 31C and Albany 17C. At 12.30pm it’s 16C here and 27C in Perth. As the crow flies there is only a 330km difference (200 miles roughly) yet there is a 14C difference in maximums. At the moment we have gusty cold easterlies off the ocean with clouds. Hurry up summer. 

Huge Darwin storm today.....had to share ! dropped the temp from 36c down to 28c in a matter of minuites.
81yimjt.jpg
fzpAOfg.jpg
mtYgQvb.jpg
j7kz9qj.jpg
FczLdFK.jpg
SMgTtFX.jpg
mdZ5xXE.jpg
WzP9fXx.jpg
F1eSPBC.jpg
Steam rising off the hot road outside my house
Q5bDFFb.jpg
And check out the forecast for the next week !
"JFC ! has anyone ever seen 4 consecutive 37c days forecast at the Airport ?
There's only been 18 such days since 2000 and 14 such days 1941-2000 !
So a forecast like this, if it comes off, really is one for the record books....
Note that today's forecast of 34c was exceeded by 1.8c...."
xalenlv.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Huge Darwin storm today.....had to share ! dropped the temp from 36c down to 28c in a matter of minuites.
81yimjt.jpg
fzpAOfg.jpg
mtYgQvb.jpg
j7kz9qj.jpg
FczLdFK.jpg
SMgTtFX.jpg
mdZ5xXE.jpg
WzP9fXx.jpg
F1eSPBC.jpg
Steam rising off the hot road outside my house
Q5bDFFb.jpg
And check out the forecast for the next week !
"JFC ! has anyone ever seen 4 consecutive 37c days forecast at the Airport ?
There's only been 18 such days since 2000 and 14 such days 1941-2000 !
So a forecast like this, if it comes off, really is one for the record books....
Note that today's forecast of 34c was exceeded by 1.8c...."
xalenlv.jpg

Some of those clouds actually look a bit scary. 

Only got a sprinkle out of that here. Yesterdays maximum was 38.5. and warming up for the rest of the week.

n211114.JPG.e93d2ef291010f059bea39f979380aff.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, greysrigging said:

The east got our cold weather. We got to a warm 22c today. Well it’s warm for us lately. I was working in around Ongerup and it was 32C but come south the temp dropped right off and the humidity came right up. 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:52 AM, Tyrone said:

As far as average maximums go, October was cooler than September and November is cooler than October so far. The maximums are going the wrong way. Minimums are slowly climbing though, but essentially we are no warmer than August at the moment. We are only averaging 17.5C maximum in November!!

Sounds like you guys are having a spring reminiscent of the awful spring that we had 6 months ago! April was our coldest April on record here and May was dreadful too. So spring in general was really bad for us, like really bad, and then the resulting summer was also pretty poor too. My worst summer in at least 6-7 years here.

I suspect your summer will be much better than ours. My highest was 34C which is crap compared to recent years. For about 5 months, from early April - late August, the weather was just generally poor in southern England. It wasn’t until September that we saw a consistent run of above average temperatures or decent, sunny, clear conditions, on par with recent years 

Autumn has actually been pretty decent for us this year, unlike spring and summer. March, September and October have been the only good months so far this year. November is on course to join them. 2021 had been a pretty strange year. Lots of floods in London and Europe. I know you guys got flooded bad not long back. Has the water table rescinded much where you are yet, or is it still pretty wet and waterlogged?

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

9 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Sounds like you guys are having a spring reminiscent of the awful spring that we had 6 months ago! April was our coldest April on record here and May was dreadful too. So spring in general was really bad for us, like really bad, and then the resulting summer was also pretty poor too. My worst summer in at least 6-7 years here.

I suspect your summer will be much better than ours. My highest was 34C which is crap compared to recent years. For about 5 months, from early April - late August, the weather was just generally poor in southern England. It wasn’t until September that we saw a consistent run of above average temperatures or decent, sunny, clear conditions, on par with recent years 

Autumn has actually been pretty decent for us this year, unlike spring and summer. March, September and October have been the only good months so far this year. November is on course to join them. 2021 had been a pretty strange year. Lots of floods in London and Europe. I know you guys got flooded bad not long back. Has the water table rescinded much where you are yet, or is it still pretty wet and waterlogged?

Sounds similar. I don’t expect summer here until maybe mid Jan or Feb. Even last summer here was cool. March was warmer than any summer month. The place has drained away properly now and we are no longer waterlogged thankfully but the eastern states now are under flood threat especially nsw right at the moment. It’s the easts turn to become waterlogged. 

Despite being in the middle if a Top End heatwave, the upper atmoshere is extremely dry for a 'build up' month and several sites in Darwin's rural areas have set new cold November min temps.
Capture.thumb.JPG.2b8bbfeef9838a5fbd5e72563083bbb3.JPG

We had a 3.1C minimum this morning. I think that’s really cold only a couple of weeks out from summer. We are under the influence of a high pressure zone so today is sunny and reasonably clear with a bit of wind as the the high moves east and the wind swings around to the NE. Got thunderstorms and heavy rain tomorrow and Monday. 

A beautiful sunny 29c in Perth today, I'm at the beach as I write this, it's a bit windy but very nice. I can think of worse places to be.

• Upvote 1

Was a beautiful day today around 23C. Got quite a bit done today in the garden. Just kicking back with a red on sundown listening to The Go-Betweens, a great QLD band. 

We got just over 30mm of rain last night in thunderstorms after a warm 26C day. November has actually been a quite dry event compared to earlier months so the annual total has sat stagnant for a while, but we are now over 1200mm for the year. I doubt we will hit 1300mm by the end of the year, which is fine with me. 

• Like 1

First tropical cyclone for the Australian season has formed off the north west coast, TC Paddy. It's only a cat 1 and unlikely to strengthen more than that before moving west into the Indian Ocean.

Having a very steady run of 24C odd days, mostly sunny, did get 40mm from a localised storm on Tuesday night.  Great growing weather really.  The A Alexandrae zone push experiment is well into recovery phase, will see if it can get back to where it was by next autumn and if it has gained any hardiness. The two Baueri Rhopies have had the next spear pushed out for weeks but seem too lazy to open it yet. Based on other times when they finally "decide" to do so it seems to open in a day.

20211127_125838.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Got a great weekend happening. Both days in the upper twenties mid teens at night with plenty of humidity and dew. Got the irrigation going for the first time this year. Some areas are still drying out so they can remain unirrigated for now but other areas will be watered. Happy days are here. 

• Like 1

We had a taste of summer on the weekend. 30C on Saturday and 33C on Sunday with humidity. Sunday was a shock to the system but a cool change came through in the late arvo and you needed a jumper again. The place is drying out nicely. Got a spot of rain coming through today though and a top of 19C. Back to usual Albany gloom. 

• Like 1

It's currently 38.5, and we've got the hottest part of the day to get through yet. So much for "wet season".

Still no sign of a "real" wet season, apart from humidity being up. Temperature got to 39.8 here today.

The weather down here isn’t feeling very summer like at the moment. We are barely cracking 20C during the day, however it is pleasant though a little cool at night. This December so far feels more like what we should have got in early November late October. But what we are getting is the odd blast of heat from the north. Last weekend we hit 33C which then dropped about 15C when the sea breeze kicked in. Then high teens the next day and cloud. Really mild stuff. It looks like we’ve got a glimpse of summer with windy.com forecasting another 33C down here. It is drying out though, so I’ve got the reticulation up and running during the warmer days. The late warm up has given me a bit of time to do repairs and tweak the irrigation in areas. Whereas if I was in Perth I would have done that in September. 

The Pilbara and Kimberley heatwave continues.....
Marble Bar and Roebourne the last 7 days
Sun -  41.9c and 41.5c
Mon - 42.5c and 40.6c
Tue - 44.1c and 43.0c
Wed - 45.6c and 45.3c
Thu - 46.8c and 45.0c
Fri - 46.4c and 45.9c
Todays forecast - 46c and 45c.

Edited by greysrigging
spelling

Going for a max of 32C here tomorrow so I’ve got the irrigation going tonight. Then back to 24C the next day and 18C on Sunday. Yo-yo weather. 

Well it only made 28C down here today. Lots of clouds about and we had a thunderstorm and some rain around noon. That kept the humidity up there. Good growing weather. 

Well it only made 28C down here today. Lots of clouds about and we had a thunderstorm and some rain around noon. That kept the humidity up there. Good growing weather. 

Meanwhile… in Melbourne. I am still hibernating for winter. It’s been pretty dam cold and wet despite a couple decent days splashed in here and there. I’m moving to Cairns in a month which my palms and I are very excited for!

• Upvote 1

Been a classic La Nina weather pattern here warm mid 20  days with a lot of cloud and warm mid to late teen overnight low temps. All the palms love it. It's been fairly dry over last month, but it looks like we might get a good top up of rain next week thanks to that tropical low coming down this way.

Planted a Hedyscepe in the ground. The cyathea dealbata are going nuts in this weather.

Trying my first archontophoenix purpurea. Iv'e found these rare to find in stores here so I'm excited to see how it goes. Seems to acclimatizing to the sun okay. It made it though winter all good. Are these almost as cold / frost hardy as cunninghamiana?

a100_9180.jpg

a100_9155.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PalmCode said:

Been a classic La Nina weather pattern here warm mid 20  days with a lot of cloud and warm mid to late teen overnight low temps. All the palms love it. It's been fairly dry over last month, but it looks like we might get a good top up of rain next week thanks to that tropical low coming down this way.

Planted a Hedyscepe in the ground. The cyathea dealbata are going nuts in this weather.

Trying my first archontophoenix purpurea. Iv'e found these rare to find in stores here so I'm excited to see how it goes. Seems to acclimatizing to the sun okay. It made it though winter all good. Are these almost as cold / frost hardy as cunninghamiana?

a100_9180.jpg

a100_9155.jpg

Nice garden you’ve got there.

A purpurea is the slowest in the bunch. As for cold hardiness I reckon they’re maybe a tad hardier than alexandrae, but cunninghamiana I reckon does best in the cold. So they are in between the two in my estimations and from what I’ve experienced. Treat it like alexandrae in a protected spot and be prepared to wait a bit. 

• Like 1

@Tyrone

Cool thanks, It's probably too young to plant in the ground so i'll keep it growing in the pot and keep it protected. Iv'e only grown cunninghamiana so i'm looking foward to seeing how this goes in  time, they are beautiful palms.

Very mild down here. Only 19C cloudy with a chance of rain. Much like summer in the UK, but without the 20hrs of daylight. 

• Like 1